6 week "tourney"

InfestedKerrigan

Jeeze... So many words to try and explain how a gamestore charging you to play is good.

Charging by the hour/day or increasing the cost if your goods to cover the "dead" space created by tables is just lazy and bad business. Everything paying to play achieves can be achieved with good customer service and knowing your customers.

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Did you play round 1 yet?

Yes I did! 

Umm spontaneous battlereport I guess...

My opponents list (from memory so sketchy at best)

Necrons

20x Warriors

20x Warriors

Trairch Stalker

2x tomb spider

2x 5x scarabs

Annihilation barge

Command barge

10x immortals

Monolith

Some crypteks and foot Lords

Have no idea if that's all correct or what detachments he had.

Me, Mixed Chaos

Death Guard Battalion? Detachment

DG demon prince w/talons

DG demon prince w/talons

3 units of 20x poxwalkers

10x poxwalkers

30 cultist w/ pistol, ccw

Alpha Legion Supreme Command

Slaanesh demon prince w/talons

Nurgle demon prince w/talons

Tzeentch demon prince w/talons

Kyhtan Ravanger

Powers; smite, warptime, prescience, couple others...

Dawn of war, league layered missions (primary; tactical objectives, secondary; objectives, tertiary; first blood, linebreaker, stwl).

My opponent deployed in a gunline; warriors to the my far left, vehicles center, scarabs and a spider to the right. Monolith and immortals in reserve.

I deployed all demon princes and kyhtan center. Cultist and and unit of poxwalkers bubble wrapped them. Unit of poxwalkers bubble wrap behind to prevent deepstrike shenanigans. Other units if poxwalkers to flanks, holding objectives.

My opponent got first turn, put a bunch of shots into the kyhtan, did a few wounds. Took some pot shots at my zombies, advanced a bit with some scarabs, made more scarabs. Generally not alot going on.

My first turn I use "turn dead cultists into zombies" and "you can only target these poxwalkers like a character" stratgems, run the center cultist and poxwalkers up 11" and 5", walk the dp's up behind them, use the other pox walkers to deny as much space as possible to deepstrikes. Move the kyhtan 12" towards his command and annihilation barges in the center. Cast smite a bunch, don't do much. Cast warptime on the kyhtan move 12" again. Charge kyhtan at his barges, kill a command barge, wound the other. In hindsight, charging near the scarabs was a mistake...

Turn two for my opponent! Deepstrikes his monolith to my right, pukes out some immortals and a crypteks I think. Disengages from my kyhtan with his barge, makes some more scarabs. During shooting, unloads everything into my kyhtan, brings it down to 13 wounds. Then, during the assault phase, he charges me with all his scarabs, which then ties up my khorne titan for the next  3 turns of combat cause the kyhtan is a huge pile of failure.

Anyways...

My turn two. Use the same two stratgems as turn one. Cultists, poxwalkers and demon princes in center advance. Poxwalkers move to block monolith from my princes. Other zombies sit around being fearless objective campers. Smite for like 8 wounds on the monolith. No charges, kyhtan kills about 3 bases of scarabs with all his attacks... Leaving a whole bunch, he is still surrounded by tiny metal bugs.

His turn three, decides it's time to deal with the cultists two inches from his retreating gunline, kills 10 or so which adds 10 zombies to the squad behinds them. Monolith does nothing of note, rest of his army does nothing. Oh, except for the scarabs. Who at this point I'm pretty sure are more khorne than the close-combat khorne titan! Yea they take McPillowfist down to 7 wounds...

My turn three... Well at this point my demon princes are close enough to all get charges. 5 smites, 35 7/-2/2 attacks hitting on 2's, rerolling 1's proceeded to eat most of his army and at this point he concedes

10-2 my favor.

So I learned kyhtan Ravanger are... Meh. Yes I made an error but I wasn't that impressed. Second, turning cultists into zombies is amazing and also being able to respawn cultist also seems amazing.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose Kytan has trouble with Scarabs ;)

Also, it's kind of odd that it can shoot over Infantry just fine, but not over Swarms. Actually, there are a bunch of things that are Infantry-only that seem like they should also apply to Swarms.

Oops... Good thing those immortals I shot got back up. o.0

• Like 1

The Relic. Opposite short sides. Tactical Objs.

I went first, advanced and shot his Avatar to death. Injured Wraithknight. He shot back and advanced Wraithconstructs. I advanced and shot his Warwalkers, Wraithguard, Wraithknight. He charged me with wraith. I kill his wraith stuff and advance. He kills a knight, I kill 2 dspinner tanks, 5 dark reapers and a war walker. He shoots doing almost nothing. I kill everything but his Autarch. He falls back, I dump thermal cannon in it, it dies.

On October 18, 2017 at 8:15 PM, WestRider said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose Kytan has trouble with Scarabs ;)

Also, it's kind of odd that it can shoot over Infantry just fine, but not over Swarms. Actually, there are a bunch of things that are Infantry-only that seem like they should also apply to Swarms.

Huh. Hadn't considered that application of non-infantry units. Still, Kytan has like 15 (Slash) attacks, hitting on 3+, and at S10, are you really having trouble?

PS: as an aside, thanks to the price drop in the CSM codex for the Lord of Skulls, the Kytan is certainly less viable than it was. Kytan's are 514pts and a minimum Lord of Skulls is 521pts. So as a cheap Lord of Skulls, the Kytan isn't. 

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

If my Warlord is still in Reserves after turn 3, did I give my opponent Slay The Warlord for free? I say yes.

And this is why you should have deployed in his teleportarium chamber.... :P 

39 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Huh. Hadn't considered that application of non-infantry units. Still, Kytan has like 15 (Slash) attacks, hitting on 3+, and at S10, are you really having trouble?

PS: as an aside, thanks to the price drop in the CSM codex for the Lord of Skulls, the Kytan is certainly less viable than it was. Kytan's are 514pts and a minimum Lord of Skulls is 521pts. So as a cheap Lord of Skulls, the Kytan isn't. 

15 attacks at s10, hitting on 3+ but only D3 wounds on 3-4 wound models that kept coming back. Neither one was that great, imo. Would rather have another demon prince and 40+ cultists for the points.

5 hours ago, paxmiles said:

My bad game vs. Scarabs was actually during 7th. Even with the instakill on them, it took forever, thanks to some bad rolls.

So one thing to keep in mind with the Kytan or the Lord of Skulls is that they can use the Daemonforge Stratagem for 1 CP (CSM daemon vehicles, of which both qualify). That Stratagem allows rerolls to hit and wound for all attacks in a single fight or shooting phase. Should help issues with scarab swarms. Doesn't help with low damage rolls...

Beyond that, Diabolic Strength (CSM Psychic Power) adds +1 attack characteristic, which in turn, becomes 3 more attacks with Slash. Skarbrand could also add a further +1 attack (which is another +3 attacks with Slash). 

On 10/17/2017 at 3:56 PM, Spaceork said:

Charging by the hour/day or increasing the cost if your goods to cover the "dead" space created by tables is just lazy and bad business. Everything paying to play achieves can be achieved with good customer service and knowing your customers.

Nobody else said this. 

YOU said this. You took a constructive comment and turned it into something else.

I never said anything about charging people by the hour or by the day for table space.

On 10/17/2017 at 8:33 AM, scottshoemaker said:

Actually, we are getting it.  If this is how this store is operating, that's fine for that store.  What Spaceork is saying is that isn't typical.  

Except for the fact that I never said anything about any store charging a table fee. This was misconstrued, and when I made an attempt to re-explain it it was again misconstrued or misunderstood.

The only person who brought up stores charging a table fee was the OP.

On 10/17/2017 at 12:45 PM, scottshoemaker said:

Umm, thinly veiled insults directed at your audience do little to make us want to be open minded about your point.

I apologize if that was the perception. It was a poor attempt at sarcasm utilizing pollysyllabic pedantism for comedic effect meant to be read with humor in mind.

1 hour ago, peter.cosgrove said:

Nobody else said this. 

YOU said this. You took a constructive comment and turned it into something else.

I never said anything about charging people by the hour or by the day for table space.

Well I thought we were done with this...

Tbo, I only skimmed through your post, because they are ridiculously and unnecessarily long. So if the rent you are referring to is something else besides an actual additional fee to use the tables, then who cares?

As long as the customer is not being charged, in anyway, to use the tables then a store can do whatever to bring in extra income.