Detachments in 8th?

I did not buy the main rulebook yet, but I'm pretty sure I have found all the relevent rules via internet searches and the GW free online rules. That said, that trained sense that warns me that something too good to be true, probably isn't, is going off looking at these detachment rules. Can I really field an army that is only HQs and Elites (Vanguard Detachments) in normal play? This would be for Guardian Games' league, which uses full ITC rules (2000pts, 3 detachment max, only aux understrength units, and so forth).  

I'm just thinking that I have at least 10 of the "new" style Dreadnoughts sitting in a bag, and that doesn't include any of the RT, heavy conversion, or Hellbrute dreadnoughts which I also have. 10+ dreads is far too expensive for 2k anyway, but I'm just doublechecking that an army with just Vanguard Detachments is legal for 40k now...? Painting a few big models is much more appealing than painting a hundred infantry and their transports. I need to paint everything eventually, but if I don't get any play time in, I'll lose interest before everything is painted.

35 minutes ago, Spaceork said:

Yes, get the rulebook though. You might be missing a paragraph or two of important stuff.

On the list. I spent $50 getting two indexes this month (for my Chaos and my Tyranids). I think I'll wait a month or two for another big book purchase. Still don't have the AM index for my Tallarn, but they're on the backburner until I get the Chaos and Tyranids finished. And the Chaos is two projects, as it's an AoS army and a 40k army (same paint scheme and some of the same models). 

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

gd9zPgB.gif

Thanks. And I love that episode.

Though your answer does seem somewhat sarcastic with this response, since in the episode, the "yes" was too good to be true. So, doublecheck, you meant that "yes" in earnest, right?

45 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

On the list. I spent $50 getting two indexes this month (for my Chaos and my Tyranids). I think I'll wait a month or two for another big book purchase. Still don't have the AM index for my Tallarn, but they're on the backburner until I get the Chaos and Tyranids finished. And the Chaos is two projects, as it's an AoS army and a 40k army (same paint scheme and some of the same models). 

Hey, no problem. Didn't mean for it to sound like "Buy the book you cheap bastard, stop pirating things"

Keeping up with rules when you own 3+ armies is rough.

45 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Thanks. And I love that episode.

Though your answer does seem somewhat sarcastic with this response, since in the episode, the "yes" was too good to be true. So, doublecheck, you meant that "yes" in earnest, right?

And I assume he does mean yes in a unsarcastic way. 

You are indeed reading the rules correctly.

My current salamanders list is a hq and 6 heavies in one detachment.

• Thanks 1

Another cool aspect is that <Keywords> only need to match within the detachment too, but this may effect detachment-wide rules that require "purity".

e.g. I run a Vanguard detachment of Adeptus Mechanicus with a Taurox Prime thrown in for fun (a dedicated transport from Astra Militarum).  Since they share the <Imperium> keyword, I can you this, along with any other <Imperium> keyword models.

The downside is that Ad Mech canticles require all units be <Adeptus Mechanicus> for them to work, so that Vanguard detachment won't benefit from those.  Also, the Taurox Prime's rules limit it's transport ability to <Astra Militarum Infantry> only, so it can't be used as a transport for my Ad Mech troops.

I receive 1 Command Point for the above.  If I broke them out into a Vanguard (+1 CP) and an Auxiliary Support Detachment (-1 CP), the command points wash out but the Vanguard would benefit from Ad Mech Canticles.

A little confusing at first, but opens the door for some really personalized armies!

1 hour ago, Swan-of-War said:

Another cool aspect is that <Keywords> only need to match within the detachment too, but this may effect detachment-wide rules that require "purity".

e.g. I run a Vanguard detachment of Adeptus Mechanicus with a Taurox Prime thrown in for fun (a dedicated transport from Astra Militarum).  Since they share the <Imperium> keyword, I can you this, along with any other <Imperium> keyword models.

The downside is that Ad Mech canticles require all units be <Adeptus Mechanicus> for them to work, so that Vanguard detachment won't benefit from those.  Also, the Taurox Prime's rules limit it's transport ability to <Astra Militarum Infantry> only, so it can't be used as a transport for my Ad Mech troops.

I receive 1 Command Point for the above.  If I broke them out into a Vanguard (+1 CP) and an Auxiliary Support Detachment (-1 CP), the command points wash out but the Vanguard would benefit from Ad Mech Canticles.

A little confusing at first, but opens the door for some really personalized armies!

Interesting. So then I can include Chaos Daemons in the same detachment as CSM. I had suspected it worked like this (since that's how AoS works too).