Smiling Skulls Space Marines

22 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

You are having the knight fall back and dual thermal plus meltagun the opposed super heavy, yes? 

Didn't come up because the enemy super heavy fell back and charged something else. Catalyst was the big problem, since my opponent rolled an unnaturally high number of 6s all game (but crappy otherwise die results). Still, this game really did provide justification for a Thunderstrike Gauntlet or Reaper Chainsword, just for the flat 6 damage melee attack. 

I am tempted to say that this army is "good enough," finish painting the few models in the army, and then start on my Astra Miliatrum or Tyranids - begining to doubt the possibility to get to the other armies in this edition...

Honestly, one of the biggest factors keeping me from painting is self esteem. Seeing armies like Derek's blood angels every weekend, or Garret and Beaus or Scotts and Mospeedas armies, can be deflating and discouraging. It doesn't matter that I understand it is irrational, when I allow it to still keep me from painting, instead of practicing and improving my skills.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

But I was overly cautious of his TITANIC tyranid, since I've never faced one and wasn't certain what it really could do. In hindsight, I think I should have charged it sooner.

Absolutely, you should have. The Nid Gargantuans are really kind of underwhelming. They've never managed to hit the balance right with them.

I think it's related to bugs just not really needing a big bug. I mean, if you wanted good melee attacks, they already have that. If you wanted good ranged attacks, you don't play bugs...

I do think they should revive the Dactylis. For those that don't know, it's basically an artillery bug, but a much bigger version that the biovore. 

On January 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Honestly, one of the biggest factors keeping me from painting is self esteem. Seeing armies like Derek's blood angels every weekend, or Garret and Beaus or Scotts and Mospeedas armies, can be deflating and discouraging. It doesn't matter that I understand it is irrational, when I allow it to still keep me from painting, instead of practicing and improving my skills.

Not an issue for me. Not painting is related to moods, but self esteem isn't one that affects it. I also run into issues of being unable to prime models if it's raining, which does slow an already slow process. 

Anyway, I do like how my models turn out. Doesn't need to make anyone else approve (still nice when they do). They're imperfect, but imperfection is important for art. I also make an effort to make them look hand-painted - this is related to airbrushes since I don't use one, I don't want my models to look like they are trying to emulate that medium.

27 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Not an issue for me. Not painting is related to moods, but self esteem isn't one that affects it. I also run into issues of being unable to prime models if it's raining, which does slow an already slow process. 

Anyway, I do like how my models turn out. Doesn't need to make anyone else approve (still nice when they do). They're imperfect, but imperfection is important for art. I also make an effort to make them look hand-painted - this is related to airbrushes since I don't use one, I don't want my models to look like they are trying to emulate that medium.

Dude, if I painted like you, I'd try to emulate John Blanche. 

3 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Google him, and you tell me.

I did that first. But you said "emulate" so I wasn't sure if you mean I'm bad, so should stop doing my own thing and follow someone else's lead. Or if you meant that it was a compliment because you thought I was "good enough" to emulate them. 

Sorry, not very good at taking compliments (or insults for that matter). as I tend to misunderstand. Hereditary, I'm pretty sure. 

Some change in mentality: I've started to regard "Smiling Skulls" as a Warband which encompasses a greater combined chaos force, rather than a specific Chapter or Legion. So my combined Chaos Forces are Smiling Skulls. This came about since I keep running into issues trying to have them adhere to a single chapter/legion/faction. This means I don't really need to decide on a Legion, I just need to field what works for me. Paint scheme remains the same.

Anyway, I plan to pick up the Thousand Sons Codex today (and, unrelated, the Tyranid one too). I think TS allies should fix my need of psykers and psychic defense. Plus it lets me use the psyker models I have that I can't use under the world eater leadership...

Additionally, I plan to sell my Tallarn. A matter of not being able to finish all army projects.I had three large projects for this edition (chaos, tallarn, and bugs), with chaos continuously getting larger I see that the tallarn project is not going to happen in this edition and I want to finish that project less than the Bugs or the chaos. 

• 1 month later...

In the mood for something different tonight. Lazy list creation, but should be simple at least...

Smiling Skulls 2k

World Eaters Supreme Command Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Lord on Juggernaut of Khorne (Bladed Horn, Power Fist) 125+10+12=147pts

HQ Lord on Juggernaut of Khorne (Bladed Horn, Power Sword) 125+10+4=139pts

HQ Lord on Juggernaut of Khorne (Bladed Horn, Power Axe) 125+10+5=140pts

HQ Lord on Juggernaut of Khorne (Bladed Horn, Power Axe) 125+10+5=140pts

Subtotal: 566pts

Chaos Daemons of Khorne Supreme Command Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Bloodthister of Insensate Rage 340pts

HQ Bloodthister of Unfettered Fury 340pts

HQ Bloodthister of Unfettered Fury 340pts

Subtotal: 1020pts

Chaos Super Heavy Support Detachment (0 CP)

Renegade Knight (Stubber, Fist, Saw) 320+4+35+30=389pts

Subtotal: 389pts

Total: 1975pts (5 CP)

Did an "Open Play" random mission with Torg. He had Wraith heavy Eldar. I had the above list. Mission was that each player had objections which could be "burned" by the opponent and the game would end when they were all burned. I didn't really guard my objectives successfully, being a pure melee armor after all, so I lost turn 3. 

Highlight would be a turn 1 character with Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage charging a Wraith Knight and knocking it to 1 wound in a single fight phase. 

On the other hand, the Juggerlords were terrible. I love the models, but their rules just suck. Although durable, melee knight was a waste too. 

it was a fun game Pax - I had thought I was doomed after your first turn... with that ruse (ambush) and stealing the initiative lol.  If my wraith knight would have fallen - things would have been hard.  But I managed to survive with dice in my favor I think.  After that I just had to burn those objectives and keep you at bay till I could do so.  I expected those Juggerlords to do more - I was surprised that they just melted away.  

I definitely think that you needed some range heavy fire-power of some sort.  An elite army with pretty much all melee really made it manageable to deal with from my point of view.  By no means was it a simple process.  It was a nail-biter for me that first 2 rounds not knowing if I would survive melee enough to get things done. 

I think that in the end - without the burn it down objectives - it would have been real carnage and chasing each other trying to get that knockout punch.  I feel like I had an edge at the end - just with numbers... and the ability to dish out lots of hard to save wounds.  But the objectives saved us from a long night of a bloody draw lol.

-d

PS - I think I am convinced to try and pull out my harlequins and get army cobbled together for the next cycle.

• Like 1

Yeah, picked up two metal ones at GG for $30 each, which had been marked down for quite some time. That makes 4 metal ones owned, and 1 plastic. Ran 3 last game against Torg and I think running 4-5 in a 2k list would be fun, and still leave enough room for some minor allies to fill weak points. 

Aside from the arms, I like the metal ones best. Kit has a lot of customization potential too. Plus, plastic kit is crazy expensive...

They're actually really close to the same size. The Plastic one just looks bigger because of the pose. It is a little larger, like fatter limbs, but only a little. 

And I have multiple, even older metal bloodthirsters to field as daemon princes....