Chapter Approved Previews - Land Raider, Apoc, Missions,etc

pretre

44 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Arvus Lighter with only 2 Hellstrike Missiles is 175pts. A Valkyrie with 2 Hellstrike Missiles and a Multi-laser is 160pts. The Valkyrie has +1 Toughness, +1 Strength, +15" of move, +6 wounds, and the Roving Gunship rule (+1 to hit while hovering). The Arvus Lighter has the Rhino Repair rule (on a 6 heals a wound) and Aerial Assault rule (Deep Strike). 

While I think the Arvus Lighter may deserve it's +5pt chasis cost over the Valkyrie just for the deep strike option, paying +20pts for the same weapons on a vehicle with a considerably weaker profile is not very adventageous...

The valkyrie has other options it must take and forge world I said most not all... that arvus had always been weird... the other flyers that use the same weapons are what I was focusing on. 

Arvus can be cheap no weapons or pay a premium to mount some weapons. 

10 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

The valkyrie has other options it must take and forge world I said most not all... that arvus had always been weird... the other flyers that use the same weapons are what I was focusing on. 

Arvus can be cheap no weapons or pay a premium to mount some weapons. 

That Arvus has always been weird, I'll give you that.

But cheap with no weapons is not really true. Did you see that the Hellforged Dreadclaw is now only 130pts (all it's weapons have a zero cost)? With no weapons, the Arvus Lighter is 115pts. They are even similar priced models. Even if just looking at the aerial assault ability, the Arvus is unusually expensive for it's chasis. And I don't think cost with weapons is really being factored anymore for balance, unless the weapons have zero cost (like a lot of the super heavies). 

And the Aquilla Lander has the same Special rules as the Arvus Lighter, and it's chasis is much beefier for 5pts less (or 3pts more with minimum weapons).

And it's not like the Arvus Lighter is open topped, so not sure why it's T6 only. 

Anyway, I selected the Arvus just because it's my favorite FW flyer still in production. Just can't justify $90 on a model with bad rules. Kit doesn't even include a flying base...though I'm unclear if that means I don't actually require one in this edition.. For me, the only real advantage to the Arvus Lighter is that it looks really easy to transport.