Itc and power level caps

derek

3 hours ago, derek said:

Hmmmm well then looks like I’m investing in something cool then whooooo

The current ruleset doesn't grant a huge advantage bringing some expensive FW model, over that of a normal model. So you can field a Warhound, or similar FW model, but you won't automatically win. Even that warhound can really only kill 2 units per turn (maybe 3 if they assault or are assaulted). 

Plus in this edition, they removed the option for weapons to be useless against targets with too high armor/toughness. In theory, lasguns can destroy warhounds in this edition. Unlikely, as it should be, but it can happen. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I did however bring this subject up and the idea of having a few events that have such a cap just for what one might call more friendly matches.  Nearly everyone owns enough stuff not to need the enormous stuff so I think it would be a good change of pace.  

Been thinking the opposite would be fun. Do an event that capped the minimium unit power level. Should speed up the game if players have less total units. And most units can increase their powerlevel by just fielding larger squads. 

Your right titans are to far out there.  But seeing as I’m working on a thematic list and a model would fit perfectly within it to be the big imposing centerpiece it’d be nice to take it to a game or 2.  Because I’m having no luck at all currently with normal space marines it might be the lack of special weapons or transport options I don’t know but I refuse to either play forgeworld and normal dread spam or gulliman and whatever else ultramarines.  And to counter everyone shouldn’t need the big stuff sometimes it’s nice to see something big and iconic on the table outside the actual titan models as cool as they look Nope I’m good 

• Like 1

I just ordered a crassus assault transport cuz a buddy of mine wants to field his reaver. We are gonna do a bit of a play test for a big apoc game just the two of us. I want to see if I can counter it with lots of smaller things... I figure the 35 transport capacity will be a hand picked set of dudes to kill it. Makes it a threat maybe...

14 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

What is 35+ PL that's not forge world?

Armorcast, for one. Also many of the INDEX models have higher Power Levels before they get reprinted in a codex. That Lord of Skulls is 39 power level in the Chaos Index, but is only 29 in the CSM codex (drops in cost by quite a bit too). 

3 hours ago, derek said:

Your right titans are to far out there.  But seeing as I’m working on a thematic list and a model would fit perfectly within it to be the big imposing centerpiece it’d be nice to take it to a game or 2.  Because I’m having no luck at all currently with normal space marines it might be the lack of special weapons or transport options I don’t know but I refuse to either play forgeworld and normal dread spam or gulliman and whatever else ultramarines.  And to counter everyone shouldn’t need the big stuff sometimes it’s nice to see something big and iconic on the table outside the actual titan models as cool as they look Nope I’m good 

Have you looked into running Buildings? They have good stats and allow you to present less soft targets for few turns. And many are underpriced when compaired to more mobile transports. And the transport rules aren't bad in this edition. 

I think I’m running into high volume shots and high volume damage. That’s what I consistently see in my games and it’s killing me.  So I’m working on actually a dark angels army right now just ravenwing right now.  But hopefully it’s gonna do pretty well assuming the codex gives some nice buffs if not then we’ll not sure what I’m gonna end up doing 

11 minutes ago, derek said:

I think I’m running into high volume shots and high volume damage. That’s what I consistently see in my games and it’s killing me.  So I’m working on actually a dark angels army right now just ravenwing right now.  But hopefully it’s gonna do pretty well assuming the codex gives some nice buffs if not then we’ll not sure what I’m gonna end up doing 

Just like prior editions, you have 4 or 5 real options here:

1 Endure the shooting and attack from the front...

2 Reserves, or rather, attack from the sides. 

3 Use a transport as ablative armor. 

4 Use a transport, building, or terrain piece as Line of sight Blocking, and just deny their option to shoot you. 

5 Use psychic power or some other buff to deny or reduce the option to shoot/assault you.

For Ravenwing, I'd consider getting some buildings, just for LoS blocking options. You already have the mobility, just need something to hide behind for a turn or two. A bastion or two would do wonders. 

12 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Been thinking the opposite would be fun. Do an event that capped the minimium unit power level. Should speed up the game if players have less total units. And most units can increase their powerlevel by just fielding larger squads. 

Yeah you can go in either direction.  We did one of those already.  it was a fund raiser for a missionary to Vietnam.  All the big boyz came out to play for that one.

I don't prefer the more powerful stuff in the game but you're right, Power level could be used that way.

The power level cap is not an official ITC ruling. It is however, used at Socal, Bay Area and other official Frontline Gaming Events. Many other ITC events adopt to stop the use of the Super Chicken and some other FW bad things. The actual ITC is actual super loose in what is required. Officially you only need it to be a win loss event, but there is a "standard" event that ITC promotes. Heck, even Warzone (110+ person event) used combined scores (gen/paint/sports) for the basis of what they would turn in for the itc points.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, derek said:

Ok so what is over the top because anything I’m looking at using looks pretty tame I know titans are over the top and other stuff banned last edition but we don’t have the crazy ignore cover 10 inch blasts any more so

Remember that cover is normally only a +1 to your save, so lascannons usually deny cover in this edition.... And there are still a few weapons that have some sort of blast radius, like the deathstrike missile, exploding vehicles, C-Beamers, and so forth. Plus some stratagems too (line breaker bombardment, fire on my position, and so forth).

So it's more accurate to say there are just less large radius blast weapons in the game now. And cover is easier to deny in this edition. 

Just now, InfestedKerrigan said:

I hear ITC is talking about raising their games to 2500. 

I can't wait to take a Reaver.

Do you own a Reaver? Looking at it's rules, not seeing anything really broken there. If anything, I'd expect you to lose most games if you brought a Reaver. It would really only excell against opponents with very few units. It's not that reaver is weak, but it just can't engage more than a few units per turn, plus it can really only hold one objective. 

That said, I think playing against a Reaver in a 2500pt game would be really fun. 

3 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Do you own a Reaver? Looking at it's rules, not seeing anything really broken there. If anything, I'd expect you to lose most games if you brought a Reaver. It would really only excell against opponents with very few units. It's not that reaver is weak, but it just can't engage more than a few units per turn, plus it can really only hold one objective. 

That said, I think playing against a Reaver in a 2500pt game would be really fun. 

If all goes well, I expect to own a Reaver and a pair of Warhounds before Spring.