Eye of Night

Black Legion Artefact, Eye of Night reads:

<Italic flavor text omitted>

"BLACK LEGION MODEL ONLY. The bearer can unleash the power of the Eye of Night once per battle, in the shooting phase, instead of firing any other weapons. When they do so, select a visible VEHICLE unit an roll a D6; on a 2+, that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds."

Okay, my question, do I follow the normal targetting restrictions as per a shooting attack, or do I ignore all that and just follow the rules as described above?

Situation 1, can the bearer target a unit within 1" of an enemy unit?

Situation 2, can the bearer use this to target a unit while the bearer is with 1" of an enemy model?

Situation 3, can the bearer use this to target a friendly unit?

5 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

Yes, yes, no and why would you shoot your own vehicle?

Last game, black friday apocalypse, ran into an issue where the opponent was using our vindicator for the purposes of denying our gunline the option to shoot characters. See, vindicator was the closest target and they had it locked in combat with a unit that couldn't really damage it. But because it was the closest unit, we couldn't shoot any of the lone characters beyond it. Would have been very helpful to be able to destroy it, especially in the shooting phase, as it was denying our other shooting. Eye of Night is only d3 mortal wounds, so it would only be able to finish off a vehicle in such a situation, but being able to finish off a doomed VEHICLE so the rest of the army could shoot them, would certainly be a viable use. 

And it doesn't say visable enemy VEHICLE, just visable VEHICLE. 

7 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

smite is useable on units in combat.  Does it say its an actual ranged weapon or ranged attack?  No codex in front of me but if it isn't with a weapon profile and its just an "EFFECT" then I don't see why it would adhere to "targeting ranged weapons" type rules.

Unclear. I gave you the full text. It doesn't replace any weapons, it doesn't describe itself as a weapon, doesn't use WS or BS, but it does have effect in the shooting phase.