Budget terrain?

i bought the storm of Sigmar box a couple months ago, and have played quite a bit. For me, terrain increases the setting, but I have no idea where to get terrain. I am leaning away from games workshop, because of the price, where should I look for terrain that isn’t going to break the bank? Should I make my own terrain? 

Yes, make your own terrain. GW terrain kits are relatively new to the hobby anyway, they used to all be handmade. 

Basic terrain making is that you find or create a relatively lightweight flat surface for the "base" of your terrain. CDs can work for this (a lot of AOL discs became terrain back in the day..). Then you glue stuff on it. Then you spray paint it, paint it, and flock the ground areas. Paint jobs for terrain is usually mostly drybrushing, as high quality paint jobs aren't really required for terrain. 

Other common sources for cheaper terrain include going to the Pet store to buy the terrain for fish, gathering twigs and rocks in the park, or going to the hardware store. 

My latest terrain project involves going to the Goodwill Outlet store and buying terrain intended as part of a kids toy. Unscrewing the parts that look wrong, then painting and flocking them. Haven't finished any yet, but I've got some cool projects started. 

Oh, right. By the way, spray paint will corrode styrofoam and lots of other foams, like the mentioned insulation foam above. So you'd need to coat it with something else, unless you like the corroded look...

• 2 weeks later...