Airbrushing and being a cheapskate

TheBeninator

So next level painting (youtube channel) has gotten me excited about airbrushing again. I decided to do a deep clean of my Badger 105 (which I got for $30 on ebay, WOW!), with my harbor freight compressor. I tried the gangster gumbo routine from next level painting and since then my compressor has been on its death throws. It will pump for a while then basically the piston seizes or something. After 10 seconds of the electric motor stalling, it will start up again.

This is an excellent excuse for a replacement!  But now I must decide what to do. My two options right now are....

a) Replace the compressor only

b) Replace the airbrush and the compressor

I cant say the badger is bad in any way because I dont have anything to compare it to. I have only ever used this compressor/brush setup. Nobody seems to use badger brushes, the iawata eclipse seems to have the lions share of the market for mini people. The badger 105 looks just like an iawata eclipse, dual action grav feed, all that jazz. My badger brush does leak out the front quite often, even after a serious deep cleaning, so I am wondering if some of my parts are warped, or if I am a bad cleaner.

For option A, I an considering going for a fairly large compressor for mini painting: https://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-2-0-Gal-1-0-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Aluminum-Tank-Air-Compressor-2010A/205910463

This sucker is 35lb, but is only 60 dB (or so they say). The justification to my GF is that it will also inflate car/bike tires! The setup is mobile enough for my tastes.

For option B, I am considering this: http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-KIT-4207-T.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr6TZueBY_yhOsSdNLiVcfyzhMDhmQ8ZfOx8OarNtkgQiV6iFGcb13AaAqEEEALw_wcB#.WiGYrkqnFaQ

I dont need all the extra stuff from other more expensive combo sets. I cant find a nozzle size less than 0.35mm (not sure it exists for the eclipse)? It said "high volume painting", but at the same time said it is good for minis, which seems contradictory. The compressor is basically the exact same compressor I have now, but has a tank. The next level painting guy uses some carbon copy of this compressor, and saids he has only had 2-3 die on him so far, but the price is so low that it is worth it to him.

Any suggestions?

• Like 2

On 12/1/2017 at 1:54 PM, andy said:

So my concern is that the masters compressor you show looks exactly like the Central Pneumatic one I have. My assumption that is that in practicality, there is only one manufacturer of this model, and companies just slap different stickers on them. Perhaps the internals are made from different qualities of raw materials or something, but my assumption again is that they are identical. I dont know nearly enough about manufacturing or compressors to make anything but a guess. Good to hear from another source that the Masters version  is legit, perhaps Central Pneumatic just gets all the factory rejects.

I have felt that having a tank would be pretty nice, so that the PSI does not have the dip while the compressor kicks on. This is still likely a problem with masters to some degree, since it has only 1 regulator, but the CAL compressor has 2 regulators. My understanding is that your tank regulator controls at the PSI of the tank, independent of the PSI of your feed. So if your feed line is set to a lower PSI than your tank, then the compressor will kick on and be keeping the tank at a higher PSI even at a constant output on your feed (at least at the output rate of an airbrush). I cant seem to find the "flow" of a typical airbrush to know how long a tank should conceivably last.image_25797.jpg

1 hour ago, TheBeninator said:

So my concern is that the masters compressor you show looks exactly like the Central Pneumatic one I have. My assumption that is that in practicality, there is only one manufacturer of this model, and companies just slap different stickers on them. Perhaps the internals are made from different qualities of raw materials or something, but my assumption again is that they are identical. I dont know nearly enough about manufacturing or compressors to make anything but a guess. Good to hear from another source that the Masters version  is legit, perhaps Central Pneumatic just gets all the factory rejects.

I have felt that having a tank would be pretty nice, so that the PSI does not have the dip while the compressor kicks on. This is still likely a problem with masters to some degree, since it has only 1 regulator, but the CAL compressor has 2 regulators. My understanding is that your tank regulator controls at the PSI of the tank, independent of the PSI of your feed. So if your feed line is set to a lower PSI than your tank, then the compressor will kick on and be keeping the tank at a higher PSI even at a constant output on your feed (at least at the output rate of an airbrush). I cant seem to find the "flow" of a typical airbrush to know how long a tank should conceivably last.image_25797.jpg

I have a central pneumatic for the least 3 years and its still going strong. I did change up the moisture trap on it and threw the brush out in the garbage but apart from that it has been a great little workhorse for me so far. 

I read somewhere that if you have two hoses, then putting the trap in between the hoses is best as the air cools/condenses before it hits the trap, but then it is not still in the way.

The quick release goes in between the brush moisture trap and the brush itself right?

What is the affect of not having two moisture traps from your perspective? I brush indoors (masked). I typically have more troubles with paint drying too fast on my needle, causing more issues down the road. Id thin the paint out more, but then im basically spraying a glaze. Again, I am just using the stock moisture trap, hooked directly to the compressor (no tank).

I run into this problem using Vallejo model air as well, but typically I just try to thin down my Vallejo model line.

I think ill take you up on your offers @splinx and @Purajh. I'm starting to think I am suffering from operator error, and/or a crap brush.

Yeah i have actually just got one water trap on currently and its working fine. Cleaning the brush out every 5 mins with a squirt of cleaner helps immensely and using a ratio of 8/2 of airbrush paint and thinner helps for my flow. Benno let me know when you re around Salmon Creek and i'll be happy to go over my set up! :)

• Like 1

@TheBeninator

I have that exact compressor (the California Air Tools model) :)

It is awesome, but I do have it sitting under a plywood box to make it nearly silent. I run a quick disconnect hose from it to a regular and moisture trap that is mounted at my desk. I then run a quick disconnect hose from the regulator to the airbrush I am using.

That Badger 105 is a workhorse and should last you forever, you just need a decent air source.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, splinx said:

Yeah i have actually just got one water trap on currently and its working fine. Cleaning the brush out every 5 mins with a squirt of cleaner helps immensely and using a ratio of 8/2 of airbrush paint and thinner helps for my flow. Benno let me know when you re around Salmon Creek and i'll be happy to go over my set up! :)

Sweet!

2 hours ago, Purajh said:

and bring your brush with you and I would be happy to clean it :)

Sweet!

6 minutes ago, evil_bryan said:

@TheBeninator

I have that exact compressor (the California Air Tools model) :)

It is awesome, but I do have it sitting under a plywood box to make it nearly silent. I run a quick disconnect hose from it to a regular and moisture trap that is mounted at my desk. I then run a quick disconnect hose from the regulator to the airbrush I am using.

That Badger 105 is a workhorse and should last you forever, you just need a decent air source.

Sweet!

@happycamper So more than the 60 decibels it describes? There is a video where they cross compare it with one of those pancake compressors. But that is not really a fair test. There is an almost identical version which is the "Quite" version. This is the "Very Quiet" version :happy:.

@evil_bryan Sounds like a lot of work. The compressor is certainly not compact. Besides your moisture trap setup is all clamped up to your desk. I would really like to hear the sucker purr/roar though. Perhaps if you were already planning on bringing it for a terrain day or something like that.

5 hours ago, TheBeninator said:

@happycamper So more than the 60 decibels it describes? There is a video where they cross compare it with one of those pancake compressors. But that is not really a fair test. There is an almost identical version which is the "Quite" version. This is the "Very Quiet" version :happy:.

@evil_bryan Sounds like a lot of work. The compressor is certainly not compact. Besides your moisture trap setup is all clamped up to your desk. I would really like to hear the sucker purr/roar though. Perhaps if you were already planning on bringing it for a terrain day or something like that.

Well certainly  not as loud as the one next to it lol

However I do a lot of painting at night and I have a small child so noise is key.  Go for the airbrush compressor IMO

Since we're shooting the breeze about airbrushes, l will throw in a thought I've been noodling.

Anyone run their brush from an air tank? Not like a scuba tank, plain old air tank. My compressor is still kicking strong but it's ancient and tankless. Been considering getting a big ol compressor for the garage and filling a portable tank for indoor painting. Something like this...

61T0F+WKHZL._SL1200_.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 4:42 PM, PourSpelur said:

Since we're shooting the breeze about airbrushes, l will throw in a thought I've been noodling.

Anyone run their brush from an air tank? Not like a scuba tank, plain old air tank. My compressor is still kicking strong but it's ancient and tankless. Been considering getting a big ol compressor for the garage and filling a portable tank for indoor painting. Something like this...

61T0F+WKHZL._SL1200_.jpg

At max pressure, that tank will hold around 7 cubic feet of air. Since an airbrush uses around .5 cubic feet per minute, it will not last very long at all. :(

I run my airbrush on a large tanked compressor intended for automotive tools. It's super loud so I run it on a 50 foot hose from my garage. I don't run a moisture trap on it - I never have moisture issues with it. The only issue I have run into is tuning the air flow rate can be very tricky- since I have such a long hose that also holds pressure it can swing wildly if adjusted incorrectly.

i have a badger brush. It's fine, tho I have no baseline for comparison