Hackmaster!

generalripphook

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2018 at 1:23 AM, PourSpelur said:

I know it's "bad form" to pull up a post this old, especially when the only thing you're gonna add is Hackmaster is freaking awesome....but Hackmaster IS FREAKING AWESOME.

Seriously. Buying the book as just an enjoyable read is 100% worthwhile.

No I love to hear people say this! Are you on the kenzerco forums? It is amazing how much they interact with their customers and how much they try and be connected to their fanbase. 

16 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

Nah, I picked up the book on a lark from a used bookstore. Never actually played, just really impressed by the whole thing. Big Knights of the Dinner Table fan too.

Did you pick up the 5th edition or 4th edition book? The 5th edition is the newest one and are all red hardcover books for the PHB. 

4th edition is a complete spoof off of 2nd edition but 5th edition is such a redefining RPG with quite a few of its mechanics. I love how combat is done in seconds, its so fluid. 

It supports about the same size groups however bigger groups are better than smaller groups. Every single monster in Hackmaster (5th) is super deadly as both sides roll attack and defense and damage dice penetrate. Also taking large hits can cause you (or the monsters) to go into shock and be out of combat for large lengths of time. 

Its easier on the DM's side because the DM doesn't manage everyone's initiative. They manage what the monsters are doing and they manage the second that the combat is on. If you act on second 12, you had better announce our action when the DM says "Second 12". 

Combat is extremely fun because of the amount of actions that you can take, attack defensivly/aggressively, jab, jump back... and the critical charts have you roll a d10,000. Critical also scale with the amount of damage you do and with the amount that you hit by. 

As for 4th edition, its amazing as well. Super spoofy. With a table for EVERYTHING. I think there is a set of tables you can use to generate an entire random dungeon. But that combat is super close to 2nd edition. 

Hackmaster is a great game for dedicated gamers. Every 3 levels is approximately the same as 1 D&D level. So power scales super slow. So it rewards people that are willing to level up their characters over time while risking death at every turn. Death is VERY real in hackmaster. 

They "alleviate" death with the protogee system. So you can take another adventurer under your wing and "feed" them EPs. So that if your character dies you don't have to restart at level 1 while everyone else is at 10th level. 

• 5 months later...

Hackmaster is hilarious and awesome. I started a campaign, and it is surprisingly playable for how absurd it is. Don't forget to track alignment infractions for all of your players on your giant wheel, and warm up your d10s to roll on that d10,000 critical hit chart. I don't think it is possible to play that game and actually abide by the all of the rules. In the end, it was an exercise in creative tomfoolery for me. Very fun, and illuminating. 

On 3/12/2019 at 6:59 PM, nathonicus said:

Hackmaster is hilarious and awesome. I started a campaign, and it is surprisingly playable for how absurd it is. Don't forget to track alignment infractions for all of your players on your giant wheel, and warm up your d10s to roll on that d10,000 critical hit chart. I don't think it is possible to play that game and actually abide by the all of the rules. In the end, it was an exercise in creative tomfoolery for me. Very fun, and illuminating. 

Sounds like you are playing 4th edition (most similar to old D&D), are you playing any of their satire adventures? 

9 hours ago, generalripphook said:

Sounds like you are playing 4th edition (most similar to old D&D), are you playing any of their satire adventures? 

Oh, this was... probably 12 years ago!  I had some of their parody 1st ed modules, but decide to homebrew. Glutton for punishment.

I didn't know they were on a new edition! 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...