Before you gripe about GW pricing...

scottshoemaker

I usually don't complain about models prices. I think the last models I whined about were plastic Witch Elves.

I'll probably continue to whine about having to fork over what I consider to be "too much money" for rules that I need in order to use the models.

Buddy and I were looking at starting up LOTR Battle Companies. A $30 rule book? Ok, seems reasonable. But you need the $85 Hobbit book first. And the $28 faction book. So you're kinda locked behind a $143 "rules wall" before you even spend money on miniatures. Instead of doing that, I'll probably just spend my cash elseware. I sold some minis recently and have $200 of disposable cash; I'd rather that got me $200 worth of minis, instead of $150 worth of rules and $50 worth of toys.

• Like 5

I like the design. If it’s resin the price doesn’t surprise me at all. Large models kits from other gaming/model companies are comparative. 

As someone who just bought my first GW army in a long while I was still frustrated with their pricing methods. I find it really frustrating paying 30 plus bucks for a single hero on foot. 

On 12/8/2017 at 4:11 PM, Swan-of-War said:

Empire Greatswords were crazy expensive

"Goldswords" were the beginning, but at least the kit was covered in extras. The Bestigor that followed were the same cost with so few extras that you had to build a champion. 

Even then, both were put to shame by the aforementioned Witch Elves that clocked in at $60 (over $65 with tax around here) a kit for 10 pts of bloody troop choices. What really drove me nuts though was that corsairs were something like $25 for similar quality, the same point cost, and the same FO slot not to mention the Black Guard/Executioner kit which was $55. Just nonsensical pricing conventions that have eroded customer loyalty over the years.

As for the thread, I get that the title is just to throw a little flair in, but people complain about GW pricing because they're large enough to print bulk product and invest in additional framework that should allow for lower pricing and they don't. Hard cover prices for digital books, $30 for one Space Marine, and FAQs you have to buy is justifiably infuriating for a company that size which ostensibly makes its money off of volume. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kremmet said:

As for the thread, I get that the title is just to throw a little flair in, but people complain about GW pricing because they're large enough to print bulk product and invest in additional framework that should allow for lower pricing and they don't. Hard cover prices for digital books, $30 for one Space Marine, and FAQs you have to buy is justifiably infuriating for a company that size which ostensibly makes its money off of volume. 

The trade off is that GW really does have the best plastic kits on the market. And although GW has high prices, they do encourage conversion and scratch building. Sure, they sell $30 SM characters, but you aren't obligated to purchase them - you can take a $4 dollar marine (from a tactical squad) and make it into that $30 marine with just slight amounts of time and bits acquired from a hardware store or hobby shop. Or you could even buy used models. 

As for digital content, GW isn't the only idiot company overcharging for Streams or PDfs. It would be different if they had exclusive ability to regulate it, but their content is often freely found on the internet prior to even selling digital copies. And the kicker is that because they sell digital versions, someone with content illegally downloaded is able to use it as if it were paid content. So digital content really just discourages players to buy the rules (or streams or PDfs). 

Additionally, I've found players with digital copies of their rules to be significantly less likely to have actually read and retained those rules...An issue not unique to GW, as pathfinder players with digital rulebooks also seem to have a more shaky grasp of the rules.

So, yeah, not a fan of digital content. It takes sales away from local businesses, and rarely reflects the cost to produce - it's basically a scam. 

As for GW prices. Some have gone down, others up. I do think GW has finally noticed that players such as myself, tend to buy used models, we'll still purchase new books, though. So I think the GW business model has shifted from being a model company to being a model and book company. 

• 2 months later...

The spiraling expense of GW kits has actually made me a better hobbyist. I've had to employ scratch building and bargain hunting and era-folding as well as experiment with paints, tools and supplies. I don't do much modeling these days but I've pretty much cleansed my system of the urge to assemble a GW kit according to some standard scheme. Give me wacky custom models, paint schemes and fluff every time. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:57 PM, Andrewgeddon said:

I usually don't complain about models prices. I think the last models I whined about were plastic Witch Elves.

I'll probably continue to whine about having to fork over what I consider to be "too much money" for rules that I need in order to use the models.

Buddy and I were looking at starting up LOTR Battle Companies. A $30 rule book? Ok, seems reasonable. But you need the $85 Hobbit book first. And the $28 faction book. So you're kinda locked behind a $143 "rules wall" before you even spend money on miniatures. Instead of doing that, I'll probably just spend my cash elseware. I sold some minis recently and have $200 of disposable cash; I'd rather that got me $200 worth of minis, instead of $150 worth of rules and $50 worth of toys.

I have beta rules for a fan made battle companies if you would like.....might save some money.