March to War 2018: 9th Age Tournament March 24th, Vancouver, WA

5 hours ago, Zeev said:

So...how do we feel about the Auxilliary armies in tournament play. 

Seriously considering doing a Greek themed Asklander army but dont want to invest if it is illegal at most of the events I go to.

I would say no for March to War; Still too new into 2.0 to allow armies that are "off the beaten path." Who knows what next year would bring though!

My 2 bits about the OFCC is that we should allow auxiliary lists on a per list basis with TO approval. The lists aren't balanced for tournament play, but as long as a second set of eyes is hitting them to make sure their power level isn't too askew, I think they should be encouraged. That's just the kind of the event that the OFCC is.

• Like 1

Hrmm,

Tough call. Balance is a very subjective thing. I am also a pretty bad judge of balance.

I agree with @smashthedean, I do like the idea of you bringing what makes you excited. We should chat about it @Zeev, perhaps consulting the T9A fourms and their infinite wisdom for confirmation that the list is within reason? 

Not that the T9A fourms can ever agree on anything, but it is a good start.

What is your deadline start date in order to reasonably get the army done?

No huge rush, next few months.

The general consensus (and intention I think) is that the army is a little underpowered. It has a few fairly potent units (the jotuun is pretty sweet) but overall probably compares poorly to a well made WDG list.

Strengths of the army are similar to Beastmen. Solid core combat units. Stronger then average monsters. Decent access to Ambush.  

Weaknesses are low toughness, low peak damage output (though solid consistent output), low armor. The army also has a severe issue with mitigating chaff. Minimal range weapons and only access to chariots is characters. 

It's a rollercoaster of emotions! We have had a spot open up, so we're back to having 2 spots to fill.

What does this mean for the tournament?

It means that March to War needs you (points to person not already signed up for March to War) to come push around minis and drink some beer, and have a great time!... and bring you buddy along!

Don't have an army? NBD (=No Big Deal = Internetz slang!), we've got you covered! I've got Ogres I can loan out, or there may be some other options :yourock:

Happy to announce we have a sponsor for March to War: Warbases!

Warbases has been my go-to source for all things movement trays and square bases since I discovered them, super excited to have them supporting this event and the 9th Age community!

I plan on adding in additional prize support for this event on top of the support that your entry fee will provide out of my own pocket, but if you have a product related to 9th Age or Fantasy miniature gaming and you would like to help sponsor March to War, please reach out to me! Help the event, support the community, and help promote your product... sounds like all wins to me!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Happy to announce we have a sponsor for March to War: Warbases!

Warbases has been my go-to source for all things movement trays and square bases since I discovered them, super excited to have them supporting this event and the 9th Age community!

I plan on adding in additional prize support for this event on top of the support that your entry fee will provide out of my own pocket, but if you have a product related to 9th Age or Fantasy miniature gaming and you would like to help sponsor March to War, please reach out to me! Help the event, support the community, and help promote your product... sounds like all wins to me!

That's awesome! I just ordered a bunch of new movement trays from them and can definitely vouch for their quality :)

• Like 1

Hello all! Just a couple notes regarding the upcoming hotfixes at this event:

-As noted in today's news on the 9th Age site, we can expect the v.202 to drop this week. Since there is no other updates planed until May except for the Warriors of the Dark Gods update (see below), we will be using the v.202 version of the rules for March to War.

-The Warriors of the Dark Gods update was slated for "early" March, and my sources tell me that this is still on track. Timing will be the key to this one, but if we're looking at the first couple weeks in March, we will most likely plan on using the newest version. If you are planning on brining Warriors and you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!

13 hours ago, Fixxer said:

That book was just bad and the community’s reaction was salty as hell. Their forum is a hall of bickering. 

I don’t really like the direction they went either. Perhaps they over fixed the army and left a very under powered shell of what they always have been. 

People are going to be salty whenever there's change and unfortunately this change was largely required by the legal department which makes it less fun. I can't give any details, but I can tell you that there is a lot of work going into the WDG fix patch and that the results look good from what I've seen behind the scenes (I'm on the Rules Clarification team).

Note on the beer list at Dice Age, there are about 8 options, all of which are "micro-ey", despite being mass produced (like Deschutes).

Prices are pretty good ($4.5 - $6) all served in glass bottles, and tax is INCLUDED IN THE PRICE. Kudos to Dice age for being smart about the tax :D, us Oregonians have high expectations for ease of alcohol transactions.

Bring your ID (not Infernal Dorfs) and your appetite.

• Like 1

Happy to say it looks like we have some people from California looking to make the trip up! If anyone is paying attention, we have had a few spots open up, but despite this it looks like we're on track for March to War to be bigger and better than last year, with players from all corner of Washington / Oregon and beyond! I'm sad that some of our players from last year won't be able to make it, but I'm excited to see some new faces, a sure sign that the 9th Age community is growing! For anyone who had to drop, in all sincerity I appreciate the heads up so far in advance of the event. I'm doing the best I can to make this a great event, and I appreciate everyone's support!

• Like 1