Amtrak/I-5 Disaster in Washington

Just found out. Apparently, sometime yesterday morning, an Amtrak train derailed and fell onto I-5 South somewhere in Washington state. I don't know my washinton geography well enough to know where in washington, but they departed from seatle. I read that 3 died so far.

Hope people up there are alright.

Expect traffic to be terrible today.

more annoying - is they just spend millions (151?) redoing things so they could go up the new route (first trip - crash).  And yet they failed to add in the train control system to automatically adjust train speeds for things like... uhh low speed turns.  This was a mandate for tracks and trains to have by 2018.  Yet the reworked areas didn't include the system.  ugh

engineer/driver error most likely (as of news that I heard this morning) - but could have been prevented.

-d

• Sad 1

The track has the PTC system installed but it is not operational.  What that most likely means is that the tracks have it but the engine did not.  It's possible there are other ways to keep it from functioning (e.g. failure to power the system) but the information we have does not cover the exact reason.  The track definitely do have the PTC installed though.

• Like 1

Interesting, and CNN has removed the section of their article claiming that the track had PTC installed.  They still have the section describing PTC and covering the congressional mandates and timelines but the section about that track itself is removed now (with no notation that it has been edited).  And yet they wonder why people don't trust them to report things.  <sigh>

• Confused 1

ugh - annoying.  Well - in whatever case - the train was moving too fast for the corner.  And I also heard that the engineer may have also had a "trainee" ?  not sure what that entails.  I know they had test runs on the track - and the engineer was part of those tests.  Sad.

-d

• Sad 1

But it's only news while it is a disaster.  When it is a week old they will have a much harder time attracting readers.  Look how many of us went out of our way to read something about it now.  I know I won't be seeking out information next week, even if there is new information.

Their best bet for getting readers (and therefore advertising dollars) is to post early and post often.

• Sad 1