Road to OFCC

I get why you would add them, the same reason everyone else does. it's just the group think "have to have a canon" mentality that bums me out. are there no other answers in the dwarf book to monsters? maybe there isn't and as someone taking a dragon I get that you would want a solid monster answer.

Anything as reliable as a cannon?  Not at all, and there's a reason why they are almost always seen.  When going to any kind of event, friendly or not, the cannon is most likely going to be the safest option.

However, I have been thinking, and you made me think to myself.  Many players are going to be bringing things like your dragon lord to this event and want to see it on the table.  I won't take a cannon.  Here are the options I'm thinking about.

1) Organ gun and grudge thrower

2) Flame cannon and bolt thrower

I will make my final decision by next wednesday.  In the end, no cannon for me.

speaking from experience anything that can win the game turn 1 is just no fun. granted if you take a solo character you run that risk, but it's just too skewd in the canons favor to have much fun playing against them. so either 2 or 3 would be funnier games IMO.

Speaking from experience, it is also no fun to be thunder-stomped to death. In an army consisting almost exclusively of slow moving infantry, monsters can be absolutely brutal. Runed up lords can kill monsters pretty damn well too, but they can be avoided pretty much indefinitely. I don't think anyone should be criticized for taking a single cannon to balance the scales. 2 canons starts to get a little unsporting. It's why I stopped.

Not trying to convince you to take one, MN, I applaud you for not doing it. I just don't think you should be brow-beaten out of it.

• Like 1

I feel you Munkie, I really do.  In all actuality, I could get the same results with an organ gun (if the thing hits).  I guess the reason to not take the cannon is becuase the majority of people, I hope, aren't going to have more than 1 monster and I feel that those who do only have a single monsters will either:

a) use it as a focal point of their army

b) not normally use the damned thing

Again, I had to talk myself out of it, due to the fact that this isn't about win/loss, it's about enjoying the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finally making progess with this army.  I received my warriors, ironbreakers, flame cannon, and anvil today.  Currently here is how it looks:

30 Ironbreakers assembled (20 primed)

16 Longbeards assembed (using the warrior kit) and 32 more to go (I'll be using the black sheep as a unit filler and I have another in the making)

10 Irondrakes assembled

Flame Cannon assembled (primed)

Anvil in box

I have even managed to start working on a possible paint scheme.  I am waiting for the wash to dry so I can start the layers on the armour.  I'm going for a blue and gold armour color.  However, this is still going extremely slow at the moment.  I've been working since the 5th and won't have a day off until June 14th.  I am glad to be making some progress though.  If the paint scheme turns out right, I should be able to knock out 10-15 models a week.  That is pretty dang good for me.  I am still waiting on bases though.  I will be ordering those next month.  So, everything is baseless.  I then have 18 models to purchase and the army will be complete:

15 Ranges (using the avatar ranges)

Lord on shieldbearers

BSB

Bolt Thrower

Once I have anything worth taking a picture of, I'll post it for some judgement.

• Like 1

Oh, I'm not doing the iron golem thing any longer.  Thanks for the idea though.

Lastnight I finished assembling all the iron breakers.  That is such an awesome kit.  I started a new color scheme, as I was disgusted with the 1st, but I didn't have certain paints.  I will be picking the needed paints up, after work, and hopefully I will be able to get the test model painted and I'll be able to post a pic on here of it.

I have also assembled the anvil (it's in secttions right now for painting) and will be priming it tonight.

I have 9 more Ironbreakers which I am painting right now, 10 are primed and on standby for the next batch, 10 will be getting primed tomorrow.  I have started to put some base colors on the 3 crew from the flame cannon, and I have started to assemble the anvil.  I will be priming the anvil and the last 10 ironbreakers tomorrow.  After the ironbreakers will be the irondrakes.

I am a bit torn with the irondrakes, however, I am unsure if I want to give them the same blue scheme or go with a red armour to show their resistance to fire.  I am thinking very heavily of going with a red scheme so the unit is able to stick out and draw attention.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered all of my bases and my unit of rangers last thursday.  I now just need to purchse my lord with shieldbearers, BSB, and bolt thrower.

Here's the bases I will be using:
http://base-x-of-war.com/html/battlefield_bases.html

Here's what I will be using for my rangers:

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&prodcode=pl07&prodname=Dwarf+Pathfinders&mediumcast=plastic&id=118&Itemid=114

First, here's my painting update:

I met my challenge of 1 unit a week.  I was able to complete my anvil of doom.  I have 20 ironbreakers who just need highlighting, and 10 ironbreakers are primed.  For this week, I have a personnal challenge for the following:

1) Complete the ironbreakers (not including the bases I am waiting to receive)

2) Complete the flame cannon

3) Assemble and prime 34 longbeards

4) Get the complete base coat on 25 longbeards

Now, here's my opinions on each unit.  This was my first game, EVER, playing dwarfs and I had a BLAST.  It was a TON of fun playing them and it was a great change from my dark elves!

Lord with shield bearers:  Wow, this guy is a beast.  He's hard to kill.  I just happened to fail pretty much every ward save tonight.  However, I feel like he will be a challenge for my opponents to kill.

Runelord with anvil of doom: Other than the points needed to field this thing, I think it's great.  I was able to clear chaff, make my ironbreakers knights (2+ with a 5++ parry).  This guy is pretty much a points denial unit.  He's got a 1+ armour save, 1++ vs. magic missiles, and a 3++ vs all other magic.  Pretty much, most opponents will just ignore him, due to him being pretty much unkillable.

Thane with the BSB of crazy costed runes.  It was good.  I had the +4 to dispell because of the master rune, the iron breakers had a parry save on the flanks (which helped), and the unit was able to vanguard.

Longbeards:  They ae solid.  I don't have much to say about this unit.  WS5, S6, and ITP is solid.  They are hard to hit, hard to wound, and hard to shift.

Ironbreakers with the stubborn rune: OMFG!  Talk about a unit that doesn't move!  Due to how I deploy my characters, this unit is stubborn re-rollable 10, vanguards, gets a 5++ parry to all facings and can't have ranks disrupted.  Then, they get a 2+ save from the anvil.  Just an all-around great unit ot lock something down.

Bolt Thrower: Meh, it's a bolt thrower and if I had the points, it would be swapped for a stone thrower.

Rangers: I like them.  They can deploy where I need them.  I like them.

Flame cannon: Well, it's a flame cannon.  It does wonders (when I can roll my wound rolls)

Irondrakes: Great unit!  I really like them.

Overall, I love the army.  I just need to learn the units and cohesiveness of the army still.  It shouldn't take too long though.  Even though it's light on shooting, for Dwarf standards, it has threat potential.

• Like 1

I got to play an excellent game against Raindog tonight.  My OFCC dwarf army vs. his OFCC wood elves. What a game!  Ironbreakers are friggin insane.  What a solid unit.  They took over 100 arrow shots and still had over half a unit standing on the table when it was over.  They rolled through 2 units (dryads and glade guard) and every thing else didn't want anything to do with them (not even the treeman wanted to feel the pain).  Rangers did ok, and they even got into combat (they beat the 5 glade guard on a flank charge and then got wiped by 3 wild riders; however, there were only 5 rangers left when they got into combat.  The anvil was great!  I love this model.  I was getting off crucial direct damage spells and this thing held for a long time in combat. Shooting and spells just bounce off the anvil (it's pretty much a waste of time to target with shooting and any spell that allows armour and/or ward saves).  It was finally brought down on turn 5 when the sisters of the thorn received some much needed help from 5 wild riders (the anvil held in combat for a full turn and a half before it was destroyed).  Had the wild riders not gotten involved, I'm pretty sure the sisters were going to lose the grind.

Although I lost the unit of longbeards by the end of the game, I am giving them my unit of the game pin.  They stumbled out of a building with only 9 dwarfs, held their ground after receiving a flank charge from 8 treekin, failed to reform, and then during the next combat break the treekin in combat!  It would have been great to have caught them and get out of the charge arc from your sisters of the thorn; however, winning that combat was still a glorious task.

GREAT GAME RAINDOG!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...