Pax's Scummy Squadron

Picked up one ship by itself during the GG sale. It's a Scum Quadjumper. Found rules online via the web site for the game, so I have a general idea on how to play. So, a few questions:

First, how many points is normal? Rulebook suggests minimum is 100pts. Based on my Quadjumper, that means about 5 ships.

Second, is there an alternate starter box for Scum? Or does someone have extras of the physical rulebook, dice and movement templates that they could give/trade/sell me?

Third, any limit on duplicate ships? I noted that I can't take the same named character, but if I really like a certain non-character ship, can I spam it? Couldn't seem to find this spelled out in the rulebook.

Thanks.

I have a small selection of ships, mostly imperial but also few some scum ships that I am willing to part with for cheap or trade. Also have the rules and movement templates, dice, etc. Send me a message if you are interested.

Not sure about an alternate starter box for scum. But I do know that there are no limits to ships other than named characters are unique. That said you can take the named character in a Quadjumper and a generic Quadjumper in the same list. So its really limit to the cards rather than the ships.

The Most Wanted Expansion Pack is basically the Scum starter set. It was the introduction of the Scum faction into the game and provides a few Scum-themed ships as well as Scum ship cards for two other ships that already existed in the game at the time so that you can play those ships as Scum faction ships.

I've also seen the Guns for Hire Expansion Pack recommended as another good Scum starting point.

Neither of these include the basics that you will need to play though like dice, movement templates, a damage deck, etc. Some of that can be purchased individually like dice and movement templates but the damage deck is only available in the Core sets. It should be noted that there are some difference in the damage decks from each of the two Core sets but I believe both are still considered valid for any type of play. Core sets can be had for as low as around $20 (or even $15 on a really good sale) and provide a good starting point for Rebels and Imperials but if you're planning on just flying Scum for now and Scott can give you a deal on all the pieces of a Core that you'd need then you won't need to pick one up. And even if you do decide to pick one up down the line it never hurts to have more dice (one Core doesn't provide quite enough without rerolling), extra movement templates, etc.

And I think 100 points is still the norm.

PM sent. 

On the topic, what about those bigger ships (like the ships that come in boxes instead of blisters)? Do they fit into 100pt games? And for that matter, is there a site with points and stats listed for this game, or is it secretive like the GW stuff is?

So maybe, a very slight maybe, I might be able to hook you up with some ships, cards, movement stuff.

It'll take me a day to find it and then I'll have to ship it to you from SoOregon.

*Edit*

So it took 5 minutes, not a day. What I have is;

The first starter set minus the tie fighters (well one is still there, but broken), which includes 2 X-wings, upgrade cards, movement/turn sticks, meteor tiles, various tokens, damage deck, upgrade cards, dice, various other things

And

A YT-2400 which includes it's own upgrade cards

And 

A few other upgrade cards I bought.

From looking at it I have a 100 point list involving Luke, Biggs and a gentleman named Dash Rendar? Apparently I had discovered with him I could  fly through astroid fields and not take damage while shooting the opponent with ion cannons and causing them to fly into astroids or off the map.

It's yours if you want it.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

On the topic, what about those bigger ships (like the ships that come in boxes instead of blisters)? Do they fit into 100pt games? And for that matter, is there a site with points and stats listed for this game, or is it secretive like the GW stuff is?

There are 3 size classes of ships:

* Small (X-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc.) - basically the stuff that comes in blisters with a few exceptions

* Large (YT-1300, Firespray, Lambda Shuttle, etc.) - boxes

* Huge (Corellian Corvette, Rebel Transport, etc.) - big boxes

The Small ships (of course) and the Large ships fit into 100 point games and are completely legal in any type of play. The Huge ships are only used as centerpieces in a mission-based scenario specific to each ship that is included with the ship or in Epic Play which is basically a scaled up version of the game that starts at 300 points, has a larger play area, more obstacles, etc. and allows for Huge ships to be taken and played with as normal as part of your list. 

FFG doesn't publish the point values anywhere online that I'm aware of but there are a number of list building websites and apps that include all the information for every ship including point values, upgrades, available maneuvers, etc. Here's a few of the more popular list building websites taken from the X-Wing reddit:

Voidstate's Squad Builder

Fab's Squadrons Generator

Yet Another X-Wing Miniatures Squad Builder

On 1/2/2018 at 6:25 PM, SPaceORK said:

So maybe, a very slight maybe, I might be able to hook you up with some ships, cards, movement stuff.

It'll take me a day to find it and then I'll have to ship it to you from SoOregon.

*Edit*

So it took 5 minutes, not a day. What I have is;

The first starter set minus the tie fighters (well one is still there, but broken), which includes 2 X-wings, upgrade cards, movement/turn sticks, meteor tiles, various tokens, damage deck, upgrade cards, dice, various other things

And

A YT-2400 which includes it's own upgrade cards

And 

A few other upgrade cards I bought.

From looking at it I have a 100 point list involving Luke, Biggs and a gentleman named Dash Rendar? Apparently I had discovered with him I could  fly through astroid fields and not take damage while shooting the opponent with ion cannons and causing them to fly into astroids or off the map.

It's yours if you want it.

If you're just dumping it, you can dump it on my lap. I have a handful of ships and my son enjoys it.

Picked up one more, a YV-666 ship. That's the Hound's Tooth set, which I found on amazon on heavy discount. Only 3 ships, but it's about a 100pts. Should be enough for a practice game. If anyone is willing, I'd love a practice game. 

Though getting the cards I want has been a challenge. Prices seem too high on the cards, especially if I want to spam a given upgrade, but dislike the ship it comes with. Is it objectionable to print your own? 

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Are you buying the ships bare?

They come with cards, just not the cards I want, nor in the quantities I want. Like between the 3 ships I own, I have potentially 4 bomb slots and only 2 bomb cards.

Anyway, got a game in. Game is so simple. Like as easy as chess. I bet you could play while intoxicated.

Played against a noob. I won. Not sure if that was an accomplishment. We had a veteran player helping us. But wow, sure amazing how many rules I not only had wrong, but the correct way was much better for me than the incorrect way. 

I did have fun.

Okay, game question, How does having multiple cards that change die results into other results function when they are on the same ship? 

Example, Bossk in one of the Pilot options for my YV-666 ship. Bossk allows me to "cancel" 1 crit damage result to add two regular damage results. If I take a Mercenary Copilot (Crew upgrade), I can "change" one of my regular damage results into a critical result. Obviously the intention is not a loop where crit becomes damage which becomes crit, so how is this sort of thing handled?

PS: Thank you very much SpaceOrk. Super awesome getting all that stuff in the mail. 

If you can, try the list I had premade. Biggs, rookie X-wing and the other guy.

Basically you hide in asteroids because you don't take damage from them with the large ship. Then shoot the bad guys with ion cannons and laugh as they crash into asteroids. Or fly of the map.

It's cheesy but not that great.

1 hour ago, SPaceORK said:

If you can, try the list I had premade. Biggs, rookie X-wing and the other guy.

Basically you hide in asteroids because you don't take damage from them with the large ship. Then shoot the bad guys with ion cannons and laugh as they crash into asteroids. Or fly of the map.

It's cheesy but not that great.

Was looking at that. Cheesy tactics are kinda my thing as a Scum player....Plus, I've got some other cards from my Scum which would work very well with those. 

The one I really want to do is the Ion weapons paired with a static minefield. 

So I got this card, Minefield Mapper, which let's me place bomb tokens after deployment, anywhere more than range 3 from my opponent. But to sieze the advantage, I need bombs that don't disappear after I place them. Only 3 different bomb upgrades exist like this: Conner Net, Proximity Mines, and Cluster Mines. 

Proximity Mines come with the Slave 1, IG 2000, and the Imperial Aces set. Cluster Mines are found in the Tie Punisher, Ghost, and Imperial Veterans. Conner Net is found with the Ghost, K Wing, and Resistance Bomber. 

So several spendy ship purchases before I can try this out. Or I could just print them. Or I could get them off ebay.

As an aside, I've been thinking that actual model modifications/conversions would be fun on x-wing models. Nothing huge, since the models are so small, but several of the ships make me want to move where the flight stand goes it. For example, I really feel like my YV-666 is flying upsidedown....

That said, I'm unclear if the model itself has any in-game value. The base is certainly static, but I'm unclear if altering the model will create issues in game. Thoughts?

Id be down to play a friendly game too. I bought a massive collection and have hardly tried half the ships out. Only person who plays with me is my GF.

Interestingly, we have been playing this thing called "Heroes of the Aturi Cluster". It is cooperative vs. AI, but since it came out pre wave-3, it does not include any Scum ships :(.

http://dockingbay416.com/campaign/

Regardless, if folks are interested, I have the whole campaign with all the tokens and jazz printed and foam core mounted. I also have all the ships necessary to play the campaign, a play mat, and all that other stuff.

I will say, it is actually pretty dang hard on normal, and scales to any difficulty you want to make it!

Played Scotthartman today at GG. I won, but it was close. I think his list was superior and my list won due to its unconventional nature. I think if he was used to my list, he would have easily won.

My list was:

H6 lvl1 pilot with bomblets, seismic torps, and synced turret.

quad lvl1 pilot with k4 security and thermal detonators

yv-666 lvl7 pilot with lone wolf, heavy laser, ion large ship mod.

100pts...