Why do you pick your armies?

rudra34

So I recently picked up some Tohaa as a army, and it got me wondering why and how you all pick what faction you want to play.  For me it varies.   I picked MO in the beginning because I thought the idea of closing in for combat was fun (turns out MO isn't even that great of a CC army), then QK and Ariadna because I wanted something that was tactically different than Pano.  This time it's all about visuals and painting.  Tohaa are very unique-looking in the infinity world and the more i looked at them the more I got into the aesthetic.   

So, how do you all pick?

Accident. :P

I started playing Ariadna because I'm not a big fan of anime and they're the least anime-ish faction in the game. Then I kind of accidentally fell into playing CHA. My girlfriend, at first, wanted to play PanO, but she changed her mind after we had the Icestorm set and the old SAA starter, so I just expanded on them (with great help from a big Labor Day sale at a game store up north.) I wound up playing NCA because of all those goodies from the sale... got the NCA starter and the Fusiliers box, among other things. My friend George from the Pride of Rodina blog scored the Nomads on a crazy deal on auction, and he managed to bait me into buying them for stupidly cheap.

So yeah. Accident.

• Like 1

I looked at the models and fluff.

PanOceania being the hyper power seemed like playing Space Marines. There models are very cool.

Yu-Jing did not have the same amount of cool models when I started playing. Plus, the fluff did not appeal to me.

Ariadna was too low tech and seemed like playing army men. I totally like their fluff.

Tohaa seemed too complicated as a starter army and their fluff was weird.

Combined are the bad guys. I am not fond of playing the bad guys. There models were not as cool as they are now.

Nomads had cool tech, a cool back story, and neat models. The seemed super Anime  

The Haqq had cool models and a great story.

In the end, I choose Nomads for the cooler remotes and toys list Fast Pandas and Crazy Koalas. The Haqq models have really improved and their play style really suits me, so I am playing them now.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, rudra34 said:

So, how do you all pick?

I don’t...  well at the beginning I went with what I thought looked cool and was the least represented in the gaming area. But as you all know, I’m Mr gotta have them all!  So I’m well on my way. I currently have Combined army Morats and Onyx, YuJing Imperial and JSA, Ariadna USARF and Caledonian, Aleph vanilla and Steel Phalanx, Red Viel starter Haqqislam and finally Tohaa. I guess I had better get going and pick up some Pano and Nomads.

• Like 2

I started out Infinity in early N2 with a want to play Haqq because of their cool background, but I settled for Nomads due to the rather small player base we had and there already being a Haqq player. Fast forward a bit to after the first Infinity league I played in had ended and I wasn't really a fan of Nomads (in N2 it's important to remember that HMGs and HI were the name of the game and, at the time, Nomads had zero HI and their hacking was pretty useless) so I swapped over to Yu Jing so I could play in the aggressive way I wanted.

Starting in N3, I played only YJ until Onyx came out which I thought looked pretty cool and we had basically no CA players in the area. Since then I've played a load of Onyx, a bit of vanilla CA, and a smattering of MAF (I'm eagerly awaiting Shasvastii to exit the trash can they live in right now, too) along with every permutation of YJ you can think of (the only model I don't own for the faction is the Guijia because...why?). I've also been fortunate to play a bit of Haqq this past year which I thoroughly enjoyed, but alas the army isn't mine and I recently had to give it back to its owner where it will sadly sit in a closet with all of the other games he doesn't play.

I guess I like to play armies that fit at least two of these three criteria:

1. Do I like the feel of playing this army?
  2. Do other people I'll play with a lot play this army?
  3. Do I like painting this army?

I've been saved from that last one, thankfully, through doing quite a few Infinity commissions in the past. If it weren't for that, I think I'd have pretty much everything except for ALEPH and Ariadna. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Coming into it from 40k, I was tied between PanO and Ariadna as they appealed to me the most visually and from what little info I had. What got me to be an Ariadna player was as simple as "William Wallace with a claymore claymore" (EXP CCW). Then I got into the Caledonia sectorial, branched into USAriadna, and now have a few Ruskies and the odd frog or two (I'm English so gotta rag on the French any chance I get :P )

I do look back and wonder if I should've chosen for playstyle now and then. Playing a camo marker shell game isn't what I'm good at, but I love the models and the backstory. They're also the least scumbaggy (unless you count "Git off my planet" and "Keep yer stinkin hands offa my tessium" as scumbaggery) compared to the underhanded methods of the others. Ariadnans prefer to shove the knife into your face rather than your back

• Like 3

mostly when we were all picking armies to start i wanted to make sure we had diversity and noone had picked aleph which was honestly my favorite appealing one anyways so i went with it lol.  after first army though i wanted to pick 'distinctly different things' that would challenge me and as per usual wanted to play low rep'd things so my next two choices were shock army and shas.  currently playing onyx and this one was the first choice that i really did mostly due to appeal as the models are gorgeous!  also each one i chose plays really really different yet has some overlaps(nagas in shock, shas has a lot of overlap with my favorite aleph models in nagas/dasyu with shrouded/malignos, noctifers/malignos in onyx).   my next choice will be a low tech army someday.  im leaning towards haqq as its underrepresented locally.  

• Like 1