T9A OFCC 2018

Packet to be released soon. 

On the notion of the "spirit teams", I am thinking of tabling this idea. Reason being, I think we are perhaps still a bit small of a group, and T9A is still in flux (though coming to some final resting point soon) to warrant making this an official piece of the event. Perhaps once at least the fluff for T9A hits it will help spark some creative interest in the collective community.

That said, anyone who does come with a banner, a war cry, a sweet diorama, or their finest WWF costume will most assuredly earn mad kudos (and therefore sportsmanship) points to put them in for "best sport", which as we know, is the most coveted of all prizes.

I will however add an option to "blacklist" up to two opponents who you play against on a regular basis. That way, I can try to ensure everyone gets a fresh experience.

• Like 2

Key word in that is "try". Obviously if the Swedish discrepancy is too large, I will have to make exceptions.

After the first day I will be running out of options to honor a blacklist anyways, since the pairing will finally start to resemble something remotely calibrated (leading to the situation above). So I think in the end, it will work out as you suggest.

Just don't make me play that lizardy dude from portland again that stomped my pointed ear pansies heads into the dirt after walking circle around them at march to war., lol (Beninator out play'd me in everyway)

Even if it works out that you can TRY to get most people to have half their games against new opponents it'd be awesome. Don't think it'll be that hard to do but don't stress about it.

Can't wait for OFCC I already took the time off work for it.

• Like 2

Hey there everyone,

I have been snoozing so its high time to jump in the conductors chair and GET THIS HYPE TRAIN ROLLIN'. 

First order of business is tickets. They are shiny, they are available, they are the only way you can enjoy the fruits of OFCC first hand, and throw down the smack talk with all the good people who attend.

Tickets are available here: 

That's it for the hard part! This money will go towards the rental of the Hilton's massive convention hall where we can sing, drink, say unflattering things, and of course play lots of games. This money is also going towards raffle prizes, and terrain material costs, and all the other little details that add up over time to make an event of this scale happen.

------------------------------

Now, what do I have in store for T9A this year? Well, we will be following in tradition of keeping a 5 game series with Swiss style match-ups, much like years past.

A couple improvements from last year to note are that I would like to allow for some accommodation to pairing. So if you come down with your good friend who you have played 100 times, let me know, and I will do my best to be sure you play other folks. This is all about an experience, sampling the flavors of T9A players that the PNW has to offer. The other improvement is a more streamlined approach to the scenarios this year. The extra rules were admittedly pretty heavy last year, so I decided to go with a more traditional approach. T9A has been cruising through beta, and changes have been often, so throwing new rules in with the newest official T9A rules would be a whole 'lotta rules.

However, this is OFCC, and there should be a bit of flavor in the game apart from your traditional tournament. Therefore, I have added a special rule to each match. These are fairly small, and should not be game breaking, but might afford you a slightly different take on the standard objectives. 

I am working on getting the packet attached to my signature (since I cant upload the file due to a silly 0.17 MB max file size). 

Here is all the boring stuff in the beginning of the packet, before it describes scenarios:

Saturday - August 25th

9:00 am – 10:00 am Registration

10:00 am – 1:00 pm Round 1

1:00 pm – 2:00 pm Lunch

2:00 pm – 5:00 pm Round 2

5:15 pm – 8:15 pm Round 3

Sunday - August 26th

10:00 am – 1:00 pm Round 4

1:00 pm – 2:00 pm Lunch

2:00 pm – 5:00 pm Round 5

5:30ish - Awards

Introduction

Welcome to the 9th Age OFCC! This will be a 4500 point singles tournament using swiss-style matchups. We will be using the 0.204.2 beta edition of The 9th Age rules, which were released on May 10, 2018.

Painting Requirement

A minimum of three-colors and basing is required for all miniatures present in your army.

Sportsmanship

The OFCC has always stood for supreme sportsmanship and a culture of fair play. This high standard is expected to be upheld during this event and any reports of bad sportsmanship or cheating will be treated very seriously.

Rules Questions

As The 9th Age is a fairly new system, it is expected that rules questions will come up during the course of play. If answers can’t be found quickly, there will be a wandering Rules Judge on hand who will have the final word on any rules disputes.

Lists

All lists are open, meaning that you are expected to provide a copy of your list to your opponent at the beginning of each game. The lists should contain all special rules, items, and points cost associated with each unit entry. Lists are expected to be submitted to the Head of Gaming no later than 7 days before the event to be reviewed for errors.

Battle Points

Battle Points (BP) for battles will be determined using the standard setup from the 9th Age Ruleset. Each match will have a predefined secondary objective which can be found in the sections that follow detailing each round.

Matchups

Initial matchups will be randomized, after which will follow a swiss style matchup system based on total BP. All efforts will be made to ensure each player gets to play on as many different tables as possible.

Additionally, if there are opponents which you know will be showing up for the tournament which you have played extensively, please try to let me know before hand, or first thing during registration, so that I can do my best to ensure you get to play opponents you have never played before. Please keep in mind this will be a difficult constraint to fulfill with everyone, while also trying to keep matches balanced through swiss matchup, therefore please shorten your list of “do not pair” to only two players.

Awards

There will be three awards given at the end of the tournament

1. Best General will be awarded to the General with the highest BP score
  2. Best Painting will be awarded to the General with the highest peer reviewed paint score
  3. Best Sportsmanship will be awarded to the General with the highest peer reviewed sportsmanship score

Entry

Entry into the tournament will require you to purchase an event ticket from the Ordo Fanaticus boards. Visit the following website for the most up to date information on OFCC. https://www.ofccgaming.com/

If you intend to purchase a ticket, please inform “The Beninator” via a personal message on the Ordo Fanaticus Boards http://www.ordofanaticus.com/ or email me at beal.ben87@gmail.com so that I can have a head count before the event.

Ticket purchases can be made any time prior to the event, although I encourage you to purchase tickets as soon as they are available to ensure your spot (this also helps the event organizers know what to plan for).

Haiku Contest

As a token to give back to the T9A community who volunteers to make this system for us, I challenge everyone to make a Haiku, themed around T9A, and bring it to OFCC. This Haiku can be about the game, about your army, about something silly, about a previous battle, whatever you wish. Your Haiku will be judged by your peers (much like a painting contest). The best Haiku will receive one extra point of sportsmanship as a reward, and be hailed as a wordsmith.

I will share these Haikus with the online community where I imagine they will be very well received and appreciated. You can write it out, print it out, or do something crafty. Have it available for viewing during the lunch of day 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yarbicus said:

So what are you bringing? Last year I brought Saurian Ancients so I am considering O & G this year. However I usually do basic orc heavy lists and they seem even less competitive these days. Plus, everyone loves my toy dinosaurs!

Competitive? Who the hell brings competitive lists? Its all about the fluff and epic action and how much Scotch you can drink in the 2 hours over the course of the game! 🙂

1 hour ago, splinx said:

Competitive? Who the hell brings competitive lists? Its all about the fluff and epic action and how much Scotch you can drink in the 2 hours over the course of the game! 🙂

While that's true, I like to put up at least a token resistance in the games. My armies don't need more of a handicap!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yarbicus said:

So what are you bringing? Last year I brought Saurian Ancients so I am considering O & G this year. However I usually do basic orc heavy lists and they seem even less competitive these days. Plus, everyone loves my toy dinosaurs!

I'm borrowing @Fixxer's Warriors! Can't seem to motivate myself to paint up my Infernal Dwarves until Gold drops.