Co Op Games

InfestedKerrigan

The wife and I play lots of different co-ops together.  Mostly those with a campaign system, but we've played plenty of others.  Here's some quick thoughts on those I have played.  Let me know if you want more details on any of them.

• Pandemic - Save the world from nasty diseases.  One of the first modern co-op games.  At this point I think of it as being an average game at best.  Gets pretty repetitive and can suffer from one Alpha player running everything.  Best with 4.
  • Space Alert - Crew a spaceship on missions scouting dangerous sectors of space in the SS Sitting Duck.  I love this game, but it is damn stressful.  Introduces a time mechanic that forces fast decision making.  Really fun with the right group, but not for everyone.  Still fun even when you are losing badly.  Best with 4, but 5 players works too.  The campaign system is a fun add.  Designed by Vlaada Chvatil who is easily my favorite game designer.
  • Forbidden Island - Explore and island and grab treasure before it falls into the sea.  A good co-op for non-gamers as it is really light.  Don't own this one, but have played a few games.
  • Lord of the Rings LCG - Build decks and lead heroes through quests in Middle Earth.  Mechanically this one is great and there are tons of cards available at this point.  They've released campaign expansions that follow the books, but most of the game explores other quests and parts of Middle Earth.  My wife likes to play, but has no interest in the deck building so I handle that.  Best with 2, but works fine with up to 4.
  • Kingdom Death: Monster - Can you build a settlement that can survive a nightmare world by hunting monsters?  Super expensive and really dark, but the game is mechanically a lot of fun and easy to get invested in as a player.  Best with 3-4 players.  Somewhere between a miniature game and board game.  The game we are currently playing the most.
  • Red November  - Save a bunch of drunken gnomes on a badly damaged submarine.  Fun for the theme, mechanically its all about pressing your luck.  We have a really low win rate.  Supports up to 8 players and I wouldn't play with fewer than 5.
  • Heroes of the Aturi Cluster - This is a mod for the X-Wing Miniatures Game that turns it into a mission based co-op campaign.  You need a ton of ships to make it work, but the payoff is absolutely fantastic.  Best with 4, but would work with 2-6.
  • Mice and Mystics - Turn into a mouse, grab some friends, and save the kingdom from an evil sorceress.  Mechanically fun, but simple enough for kids to enjoy it too.  Good storytelling throughout the game.  3-4 players.
  • Legends of the Alliance (Imperial Assault) - The recently released app for Imperial Assault allows a full co=op mode.  We love it.  Best with 3-4 players.

I'm sure I've played others, but that's what I can think of right now.  As I said, let me know if you want more details on any of them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We have Legend of Drizzt and one of the other sets.  We all enjoy that one. 

Imperial Assault we haven't played with the App, yet.

And I just picked up Arkham Horror LCG and the Dunwich deluxe box. We don't play too many card games, let alone CCGs, so I imagine I'm doing core deck building. I plan on utilizing FFGs precon deck lists, and in campaign, make cards available to people, we'll see. I'm going to solo run all of it a couple times to get everything down before getting more people involved, I think. 

Our group tends to lean towards fantasy, as we all enjoy it, but only half enjoy Sci-fi settings. 

Considering that, and my love for the hunt for red october, Red November sounds awesome. 

Is Mansions of Madness similar to ImpAss in method?

Tell me more about Elder Sign?

• Like 1

Eldar sign, dice management task list... great puzzle really! Love the game but can be super frustrating. 

You have a mission with multiple tasks, each task will have a series of pictures. You start with a pool of 6 green dice based on equipment and locked dice you could have a red and or yellow or even less green... roll the dice assign dice tho meet the task. Roll remaining dice and try to match the next task. Clues allow you to reroll single dice to try and finish a task. Fail a task remove a die from the pool and roll again. Unable to complete the remaining tasks? Fail the mission. Over all game has a timer built in so completing missions is important but you can fail a bit and still win out. Proper resource allotment is super important and could therefore suffer from one dominate player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I heartily agree with the opinions on Forbidden Island, Pandemic, and Zombicide. I can't wait for Green Horde to get shipped to us hopefully next month. The two Co-op games that I'd put forth that have recently hit the top of my list are Castle Panic and Dark Souls: The Board Game. Castle Panic is a tower defense co-op where you and up to 5 other players (6 total) are attempting to defend your castle from a horde of goblins, orcs, trolls, and boss monsters that are coming out of the forest to knock your stuff down. The players trade cards between them like knights, archers, and barbarians that they can use to kill the gribblies as they come toward your castle. Several expansions are available, none of which I've tried, and even without them the game is a blast to play. Dark Souls: The Board Game got kickstarted in the last year or two and even though I missed funding it I'm soooo glad I picked it up upon full release. The game truly embodies the Dark Souls games with up to four people getting to choose between the herald, assassin, knight, and warrior classes to set out into the world of Lordran/Drangleic/Lothric and combat the hollows, silver knights, and bosses that reside there. Immense amount of replay-ability using gear, leveling up your stats using souls, along with a very unique node-based combat system which totally makes you feel that the game at times is out to get you (welcome to Dark Souls). Even when you open the game box there's a black paper with red text on top that says "You Died". Both games I would very much recommend, and it seems I have some new games to look into.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On January 18, 2018 at 8:17 AM, shmitty said:
  • Forbidden Island - Explore and island and grab treasure before it falls into the sea.  A good co-op for non-gamers as it is really light.  Don't own this one, but have played a few games.

+1. Easy enough for non-gamers that I managed to teach my Dad to play (and he really likes it).