Mixed Slaanesh List for OFCC - Now with Renegade Knight

WestRider

Emperor’s Children Battalion
105 - Chaos Lord, Jump Pack, Lightning Claws (Intoxicating Elixir?) 5
131 - Sorcerer, Jump Pack, Force Axe, Plasma Pistol Delightful Ecstasies, Prescience 6

134 - 6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, BlastMaster, Power Sword 11
92 - 22 Cultists, Autoguns, Stubber 9

165 - Noise Marine Dread, 2xBlastMaster, Doom Siren, Power Scourge 7

Slaanesh Daemons Battalion
223 - Keeper of Secrets (Warlord, Celerity of Slaanesh) SoulStealer Relic, Hysterical Frenzy & Delightful Agonies12
180 - Daemon Princess, Wings, 2xMalefic Talons, Symphony of Pain 9

235 - 30 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos, Icon (Rapturous Standard, Denizens of the Warp)12
80 - 10 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos 4

46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2

215 - 10 Seekers, Instrument, Icon 12

2000 MP / 117 PL / 9 (5-7 net) CP

The basic plan is that the EC stuff forms a firebase, while the Daemons race forward to Charge. The big Unit of Daemonettes Deep Strikes and has a Rapturous Standard for when something really needs to get shredded, and the Chaos Lord might burn another CP for the Intoxicating Elixer, hence the "net" CP value. I'm fully aware that this is sub-optimal, but it's for the OFCC, not the LVO, so I'm OK with some degree of sub-optimal.

I'm open to suggestions on other points*, but the big thing I'm looking for here is some advice on the CSM HQs. They feel right for Emperor's Children in general, but sort of awkward in this particular list. I guess they'd hang out with the Noise Marines to buff them and act as a counter-assault Unit if anything gets back there, but they still feel kind of awkward.

As far as available options go, I've got pretty much anything for Slaanesh Daemons except the various Chariots, and those are all my Seekers. I've got a ton more CSM that I can build pretty much any Infantry Unit or Rhino-based Vehicle out of, and plenty of Culties.

Non-negotiable specifics are pretty much the Keeper, DP, and Seekers, plus the general structure with at least one EC Detachment and at least one Slaanesh Daemon Detachment.

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

105 - Chaos Lord, Jump Pack, Lightning Claws (Intoxicating Elixir?) 5
131 - Sorcerer, Jump Pack, Force Axe, Plasma Pistol Delightful Ecstasies, Prescience 6

92 - 22 Cultists, Autoguns, Stubber 9

165 - Noise Marine Dread, 2xBlastMaster, Doom Siren, Power Scourge 7

223 - Keeper of Secrets (Warlord, Celerity of Slaanesh) SoulStealer Relic, Hysterical Frenzy & Delightful Agonies12
180 - Daemon Princess, Wings, 2xMalefic Talons, Symphony of Pain 9

235 - 30 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos, Icon (Rapturous Standard, Denizens of the Warp)12

46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2

2000 MP / 117 PL / 9 (5-7 net) CP

The basic plan is that the EC stuff forms a firebase, while the Daemons race forward to Charge. The big Unit of Daemonettes Deep Strikes and has a Rapturous Standard for when something really needs to get shredded, and the Chaos Lord might burn another CP for the Intoxicating Elixer, hence the "net" CP value. I'm fully aware that this is sub-optimal, but it's for the OFCC, not the LVO, so I'm OK with some degree of sub-optimal.

I'm open to suggestions on other points*, but the big thing I'm looking for here is some advice on the CSM HQs. They feel right for Emperor's Children in general, but sort of awkward in this particular list. I guess they'd hang out with the Noise Marines to buff them and act as a counter-assault Unit if anything gets back there, but they still feel kind of awkward.

As far as available options go, I've got pretty much anything for Slaanesh Daemons except the various Chariots, and those are all my Seekers. I've got a ton more CSM that I can build pretty much any Infantry Unit or Rhino-based Vehicle out of, and plenty of Culties.

Non-negotiable specifics are pretty much the Keeper, DP, and Seekers, plus the general structure with at least one EC Detachment and at least one Slaanesh Daemon Detachment.

Lightning claws is a mistake on the Lord due to his mediocre strength and that the claws only deal 1 damage each. And the pair is very expensive for what they do. For cost, I think the Power Fist is the best option for the Lord (since he hits on 2s anyway, a -1 to hit doesn't impair him much), especially if you can take that Intoxicating Elixir (because the Elixir makes your fist swing at S10...).

Though I have gotten good use out of the Murdersword, and the 4pt power it replaces is dirt cheap compared to the lightning claw pair (12pts). Murdersword's main ability is contextually useful, but is a +1 Str weapon with -4 AP, so it is very offensively useful against MEQ opponents.

My JP lord has Murdersword + Chainsword. A nice cheap JP lord built for melee.

Rest of the list looks good. 

35 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I'm fine with the LCs. I can't really call 12 Points expensive at all. It's really more the Jump Packs that are bugging me, and whether or not it would be better to swap one of them out for a Daemon Prince.

It's expensive for what they do. I did the math a while back, you really have to get around S6 to make LC pairs impressive. You will almost always get better results with the 12pt power fist, at least on those lords (since they hit normally on 2+ with rerolls of 1, the -1 to hit is very minor). I think LCs need a point drop, especially on those Warp Talons. Anyway, your call. 

For CSM HQs, recall that you also have the CSM Lord on Mount of Slaanesh as an option from the Chaos Index. He's Calvary, not infantry, so no legion trait, his rules aren't terrible and he'd gain the DAEMON keyword, which would allow for some synergy with the list. 

I'd also consider a Dark Apostle for this list, just because of how many footslogging infantry you have. Not a bad alternate for the lord. 

The Sorcerer looks good, though a prince would work too, as would a terminator sorcerer. I will note that the Sorcerer can cast more powers per turn than the prince, so they key difference is there. If it can be afforded, I think the prince is a better choice just because of synergy with the Daemons in your army. 

PowerFists just seem so lacking in finesse for Slaanesh. I admit, it is a fluff bias, but for a list like this, I just can't shake it.

Good call on the Mount Lord. Totally forgot about that option. I actually have stuff I've been planning on using to make one for a while.

Dark Apostle doesn't really seem worth it to me. The Noise Marines are in Units small enough that Morale is unlikely to be a serious problem before they just get wiped anyhow, and the Culties are fragile enough that someone trying to focus them down (so I don't just bring them back with Tide of Traitors) probably won't have much more trouble causing the extra couple of casualties to overwhelm Ld10 over Ld6.

The extra Power per Turn probably does bump the Sorcerer up over the Daemon Prince if I'm also leaving the Chaos Lord back there. If I send the Chaos Lord out roaming, the re-roll 1s Aura from the DP becomes more of a factor.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WestRider said:

PowerFists just seem so lacking in finesse for Slaanesh. I admit, it is a fluff bias, but for a list like this, I just can't shake it.

Good call on the Mount Lord. Totally forgot about that option. I actually have stuff I've been planning on using to make one for a while.

Dark Apostle doesn't really seem worth it to me. The Noise Marines are in Units small enough that Morale is unlikely to be a serious problem before they just get wiped anyhow, and the Culties are fragile enough that someone trying to focus them down (so I don't just bring them back with Tide of Traitors) probably won't have much more trouble causing the extra couple of casualties to overwhelm Ld10 over Ld6.

The extra Power per Turn probably does bump the Sorcerer up over the Daemon Prince if I'm also leaving the Chaos Lord back there. If I send the Chaos Lord out roaming, the re-roll 1s Aura from the DP becomes more of a factor.

On a fluff basis, I highly recommend the Murdersword. Very Slaaneshy finesse weapon. 

Dark Apostle also adds rerolls of ALL melee hits for legion models within 6". He costs less than the chaos lord, but has the same saves. Personally, I don't field Dark Apostles either, but seemed like your list might benefit. 

Re-rolling Wounds and +1 Attack sounds better to me than +1S and an extra bit of AP that will rarely matter. I have almost never, in over 20 years of 40K, managed to trigger something that required a specific Character of mine to engage a specific opposing Character, so I don't really consider the Mortal Wounds to be much of a factor.

The CSM stuff is mostly shooty. Re-rolling 1s to hit in shooting will do way more for them than re-rolling all misses in CC.

5 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Re-rolling Wounds and +1 Attack sounds better to me than +1S and an extra bit of AP that will rarely matter. I have almost never, in over 20 years of 40K, managed to trigger something that required a specific Character of mine to engage a specific opposing Character, so I don't really consider the Mortal Wounds to be much of a factor.

The CSM stuff is mostly shooty. Re-rolling 1s to hit in shooting will do way more for them than re-rolling all misses in CC.

I've gotten the Murdersword to work, but it does require having a fast and mobile character. Just select the enemy character that has the highest toughness, since the murdersword doesn't need to roll to wound against their selected character. 

Regarding shooting, the murdersword is better because it only occupies a single hand. Go get a Pistol or a Combiweapon for that other hand. 

I will note that if you have the CP to spare, the Daemon Shell Stratagem can make pistols and Combi-bolters very impressive on CHAOS CHARACTERS.

• 2 weeks later...

An update:

102/102    Lord on Steed, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, Steed’s Tongue 6
180/282    Daemon Princess, Wings, 2xMalefic Talons, Prescience (Intoxicating Elixir 1CP) 9

134/416    6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, BlastMaster, Power Sword 11
134/550    6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, BlastMaster, Power Sword 11
134/684    6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, BlastMaster, Power Sword 11

165/849    Noise Marine Dread, 2xBlastMaster, Doom Siren, Power Scourge 7

223/1071    Keeper of Secrets (Warlord, +3Mv)Hysterical Frenzy, Delightful Agonies 12
180/1251    Daemon Prince, Wings, Hellforged Sword, Symphony of Pain, SoulStealer 9

235/1486    30 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos, Icon 12 (Rapturous Standard, Denizens 3CP)
80/1566    10 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos 4
80/1646    10 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos 4

46/1692    Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46/1738    Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46/1783    Fiend of Slaanesh 2

215/1997    10 Seekers, Instrument, Icon 12

1997 MP / 124 PL / 9 (5) CP

Changed the Chaos Lord from a Jump Pack to a Steed, swapped the Sorcerer for a Daemon Prince (and then switched the Factions of the two DPs), ditched the Culties to pay for the upgrade (so the small Daemonette Units are now my whole screen), and then had enough Points left to squeeze in a third Fiend. Using 1 CP to grab a second Relic for the other DP, and three more to DS the big Unit of Daemonettes and give them a Rapturous Standard (re-roll all Misses, 1 Fight Phase per Game), leaving me with 5 during the Game.

The Power Level is through the roof because, unlike Plague Marines, Noise Marines don't have a PL break point at their favoured number, just the usual 5/10/15/20. It would be 112 if they had that.

The CSM DP sticks in the back and buffs the Firebase of Noise Marines+Dread, while also providing some Assault Deterrent. The Steed Lord, Keeper, and CD DP move up screened by the Seekers and Fiends, and then start shredding stuff, soon accompanied by the big Unit of Daemonettes.

• Like 1

It's not a PL drop for favored number. The PL drops on Plague Marines because increasing their numbers doesn't increase your weapon options. Also, being able to field units of 7 is related to what the kit comes with, not special treatment for Plague Marines (they get less models per box..).

Noise Marines can take a second blastmaster at 10 models, so the PL increase is because of that. 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

It's not a PL drop for favored number. The PL drops on Plague Marines because increasing their numbers doesn't increase your weapon options. Also, being able to field units of 7 is related to what the kit comes with, not special treatment for Plague Marines (they get less models per box..).

Noise Marines can take a second blastmaster at 10 models, so the PL increase is because of that. 

Noise Marine PL does start going down at larger sizes too. But that's not what I'm talking about. Plague Marines have 5 break points at 5/7/10/15/20 Models (PL 7/10/13/18/23), while Noise Marines have 4 break points at 5/10/15/20 Models (PL 6/11/15/19). The point is the extra break point at 7, so 7 Plague Marines have a different PL increase than a Unit of 10, while the Noise Marines are stuck with the same PL at 6 as they have at 10.

Yes, it's because the Plague Marines come in a box of 7, but the reason they come in a box of 7 is that it's Nurgle's favoured number. Also, the Noise Marine upgrade set only comes with bits for 6 Models, so the packaging argument could apply just as well there.

• 2 months later...

Given some of the issues I've been having with my back, I feel like I need to cut down the model count. Plus, I have an idea for a Slaanesh Knight conversion that I want to use. So now I'm thinking about something more like this:

223 - Keeper of Secrets, Hysterical Frenzy, Delightful Agonies, (Relic, Mark of Excess)
180 - Daemon Princess, Wings, 2xMalefic Talons, Symphony of Pain (WL, The MurderDance)

94 - 12 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos

46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2
46 - Fiend of Slaanesh 2

Emperor’s Children Patrol
102 - Lord on Steed, Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, Steed’s Tongue

134 - 6 Noise Marines, 5 Sonic Blasters, BlastMaster, Power Sword

165 - Noise Marine Dread, 2xBlastMaster, Doom Siren, Power Scourge

Renegade Knights Super-Heavy Auxiliary
561 - Renegade Knight, 2xAvenger/Heavy Flamer, Meltagun

2K on the dot. Down to 6 CP, but I'm no longer using 4 of them before every game even begins, so it's actually a net increase in available CP.

• Like 1

Doubt you could find an actual one, but a conversion designed to look like a "corrupted" Eldar Bright Stalion would make for an awesome Slaanesh Knight: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Armorcast_Unreleased_Eldar_Bright_Stallion_Knight_Assembled.jpg and unassembled version here: http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:Armorcast_Unreleased_Eldar_Bright_Stallion_Knight.jpg 

Some WiP. Most of the sub-assemblies are actually pretty close to done, but the whole is just blu-tacced together right now. The feet are going to get majorly re-posed, and I need to find some stuff to bulk out the back parts/loading/ammo storage for the Castigator (Avenger) Cannon. It's going to be jumping around, in the middle of hopping off a crag on the end of the base there.

tumblr_p71sa3bUg71rl619zo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p71sa3bUg71rl619zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p71sa3bUg71rl619zo4_1280.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

On the one hand, looks awesome. On the other hand, looks like you've made it 2-3 times harder to transport. I like it, but I'm also glad I won't be having to transport it.

I was actually thinking as I was working on it last night that it's cut the model count for my OFCC list by like a third, but probably doubled how much space I'm going to need to pack it all. That said, the torso-waist and shoulder-arm joints are magnetized, so it's not quite as bad as it looks.

• 2 months later...

Still needs a ton of work in the next month or so, but I managed to get in a game with it against Nato Sicarius's OFCC Death Guard. I was outmatched, and ended up with only a handful of Daemonettes on the board by the end, but all the dead stuff had managed to buy enough time and slow down the Death Guard sufficiently that I had the win by the Objective. It's an odd list for me. I tend to play Armies where the hitting power is fairly evenly distributed, while this has the majority of the Models mostly just being Objective Holders and Screens, while the Knight and Characters do most of the actual damage. Glad I broke with tradition and got at least one learning game in with it before OFCC, as that first one would have been really awkward. I think it'll be fun once I get the hang of it, tho.

I also really need to make some reference sheets. Having important stuff spread across three books and a .pdf is a real pain, and I wasted way too much time looking things up.

• Like 1