Modeling Splashing Water?

WestRider

I've managed to get something I'm happy with for still or lightly rippling water, but now I have these Beasts of Nurgle that are clearly moving in such a way that they should be making some serious splashes in the swamp basing that I use for my Nurgle stuff, and I don't even know how to begin modeling that. Anyone got any references or tips or ideas?

• Like 1

Never done it, but my understanding is that you use floral clear resin. You poor it and then wait for it to partially solidify, then you use like a toothpick or other "poking tool" and mess with the surface of the resin. I'm very inexact because as I understand it, this is more art than science and requires you to just know when and how to do this after you've worked with floral resin many times. I've still used it zero times, but I did have this same question a long while ago. 

The best resource for this is the model railroad community.  I've seen stunning effects that would make most professional model artist green with envy.  I can remember 30 year old issues of Model Railroader showing the use of different resins to get the different states of water, and using dental picks to stretch these resins into shape while curing to get the splash and color effects (whitewater rapids).  Start web crawling, I'm sure the info is out there.

After a quick search I found this

http://www.lauriegreensweb.com/Waterfalls/waterfalls.html

• Like 2

The best technique I've seen is to use fishing line to approximate the size and shape of the splash you want. Poke a few holes in the surface of the base and add a few strands and maybe a little loop depending. Then pour your water effects as you normally would for a flat surface, allow a few moments to let some surface tension build up and then tilt so that the liquid forms around the strands. It probably takes a couple practice runs to get right but it looks nice. The fishing line disappears. As with most accent type effects less is more. 

• Like 1