40K OFCC Team Event - Conversation starts here!

evil_bryan

Again, 3 color and Fin are two very different things. My knights have 3 colors, but they are no where near done. I'd feel [big bad swear word]ty running them at OFCC in their current state, ergo, I wouldn't bring them as is.

Speaking of unfinished projects, I just started assembling my first Dawn eagle. Jesus tits this [big bad swear word] is huge! They are nearly the size of a [big bad swear word]ing Rhino! I bet two shots of whatever Whiskey Weav brings* that it's the same footprint as the old school ones!

*Collect winnings at own risk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Again, 3 color and Fin are two very different things. My knights have 3 colors, but they are no where near done. I'd feel [big bad swear word]ty running them at OFCC in their current state, ergo, I wouldn't bring them as is.

And part of the issue is that "finished" can be very different for different Models. It's entirely possible to get many CSM schemes to look decent on the tabletop with just two colours. I've even seen Units and Armies that looked fantastic, and were clearly fully painted, but were arguably done just in different shades of a single colour. I also have some Models on my table right now that have something like a dozen colours each on them, but are clearly not fully painted.

It's impossible to capture the full range of possibilities and completely partition "painted" Armies from "unpainted" ones with any sort of objective rule. Relying on a Judge's subjective opinion, on the other hand, can lead to arguments and bad feeling. Three colour minimum is a kludged together compromise between getting the event looking good, the TO/judges' time, and the restrictions that some players may have on their available painting time or ability. We stick with it not because it's the best solution, but because it more or less works, and it's been around long enough that pretty much everyone understands what's involved.

• Like 1

For the page 13 spoiler, I need to do some stage setting.

In planning to manage an event of this size I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I have a task list of things that need to happen.

Here is a glimpse at that list:

• Determine the event scoring criteria by category (there will be an opportunity to earn points pre-event like last year)
  • Decide on this year's approach to list review, submissions, rating and team matching methodology
  • Construct the team captain checklist and list of achievements
  • Build and publish the Player's Guide (to include all things listed above)
  • Create the missions and mission scoring (to be a separate guide)
  • Update player achievements (for Spirit)
  • Design the player event reference sheet/packet
  • Determine the game scoring and reporting mechanism (sheet, app, etc.)

Now that you have seen how the sausage is made, the page 13 spoiler is that the Player's Guide will be published on March 15th.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Why harder on Dark Eldar?

Because troops and HQs are where DE are weakest. If I want to do 2 detachment and one must be a battalion, then I've got to take 3 HQs. The haemonculus is the best of them but a little overcosted and one is plenty. Archon and succubus are both just plain bad. The succubus is basically just a worse clawed fiend for twice the cost and the Archon has a terrible aura and is not good at anything. And I hate shadow fields with a fiery passion. So bad.

Warriors are boring, wyches are okay but fragile which limits their ObSec value, and wracks are a decent bunker but not worth taking in abundance.

15 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Because troops and HQs are where DE are weakest. If I want to do 2 detachment and one must be a battalion, then I've got to take 3 HQs. The haemonculus is the best of them but a little overcosted and one is plenty. Archon and succubus are both just plain bad. The succubus is basically just a worse clawed fiend for twice the cost and the Archon has a terrible aura and is not good at anything. And I hate shadow fields with a fiery passion. So bad.

Warriors are boring, wyches are okay but fragile which limits their ObSec value, and wracks are a decent bunker but not worth taking in abundance.

having one archon is worth it to me.  Cant do much about your dislike of shadow fields.  Seems better than...none?  I dunno.  It is what it is.  Theres much more balance in 8e and part if that is the required units granting so many command points.

I just wish the Archon could just take a 4++ save. 

I get the design concept behind having required troops to get command points. But that's not a problem for armies with troops and HQs that are worth taking.

I'm perfectly happy taking a Vanguard detachment and Outsider detachment and settling for 5 CPs. One haemonculus, one HQ tax, and I'll still throw 2 squads of troops in because it feels right.

3 squads of troops, and not enough fast attack or elite slots unless I take a 3rd HQ is just not worth it to get another 1-2 CPs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

I get the design concept behind having required troops to get command points. But that's not a problem for armies with troops and HQs that are worth taking.

I'm perfectly happy taking a Vanguard detachment and Outsider detachment and settling for 5 CPs. One haemonculus, one HQ tax, and I'll still throw 2 squads of troops in because it feels right.

3 squads of troops, and not enough fast attack or elite slots unless I take a 3rd HQ is just not worth it to get another 1-2 CPs. 

For your style of play agreed sir

On 2/9/2018 at 7:37 AM, Kelharis said:

Here's one going a different route.  I call it "How many wounds does it take to get to the center of a T'autsie pop?"

(snip)

1997 points. 216 ablative shield drones, each with a 5+ FnP...  Even better, can't target the HQs through the bubble wrap, so 216 shield drones, each with a 4+, 5+ FnP

27935684_10156185765033385_222891108_n-1

via 3++ is the New Black

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Munkie said:

Well I get the point of view.  I play Dark Eldar too.  I just am maybe comfortable with improvisation.  Almost every list I build is a Brigade which gives me the tool bag I need to win and it stops my enemy from "keying in" on any one unit, since i require no one unit in order to win if that makes sense.  It has resulted in many lists others would probably not PREFER, but I think that winning is reward enough most of the time for any conflict with preference.  Hehehe.

I will say this:  I DEFINITELY am a little frustrated that you almost HAVE to take the "six elites" detachment when playing Dark Eldar.  It's aaaaalmost impossible not to it seems like.  Just a quirk of their design I suppose.  Hope they make Wracks Troops again.