Travelling

generalripphook

... if you aren't yet, may I humbly suggest a journal?

Who knows, a collection of stories from this adventure might be a cool thing for you to have to reflect on later down the road.  Slap in some photos, signatures, ticket stubs, etc. might have a pretty cool and unique scrapbook.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself and that all is well!

Stay safe,

don

• Thanks 1

Going to Wichita because UM is playing Michigan for March maddness. 

Got a ride to Des Moines from a trucker....I would have ridden farther with him had he not been literally bat[big bad swear word] crazy. Super racist, tons of conspiracy stories and god.....I dont even know how to describe some of his behaviors.

He admitted to trying to sleep with his siter till one night when he was laying out on the couch with a raggedy Ann doll he had third eye visions, then,he changed his way......

Didnt seem dangerous just nuts. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Made it to Witchita to watch the University of Montana lose to Michigan in the first round of March Madness. Its a cool town tho, I had been really craving pizza and milkshakes and they had really good places with both. 

I've found that its easier to catch rides just outside of cities then inside them. Even tho a few hundred cars will pass me, I might not get a ride for 3+ hours. On the outskirts It might take an hour, maybe 2 depending on the time of day and traffic. I have also had people in cities be super rude to me, which has been super confusing. Why would you be angry at me for hitchhiking? If you don't like it don't give me a ride. 

I believe what I have witnessed is a diffusion of responsibility in cities. 

On a brighter note I got a 2 hour ride from a woman! I felt like she just needed someone to vent to because she talked the whole time and I just nodded and made sounds of acknowledgement. She had a lot of stuff going on. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So this is all super exciting because In the last few days I have been exposed to a multitude of people who all have jobs that I would love to have. 

I stayed with someone in Tulsa and he and his roommate were aerospace engineers and their roommate was an analytic computer programmer. They told me about their jobs, gave me corn (which I suspect was only so they could all text me corny jokes as I am on the road, which as turned out to be hilarious). Great guys, gave me great camping suggestions and we watched hockey. 

So I get on the road from Tulsa headed to St. Louis and a rental car picks me up, turns out this fellow is a contractor who works for the food industry on evaluating if various locations are good for opening up a new location. So today he has let me shadow him all day and is basically teaching me how he dos his job. Its absolutely fascinating and the numbers and analytics are fascinating. I never thought Id end up job shadowing while hitchhiking. 

On another note I have had a whole slew of folks that have just opened up to me with their life stories. Which is absolutely amazing to hear. I have heard and counseled numerous strangers out of the blue. I really find it delightful to hear people's life stories and help them talk out their problems and troubles. 

One fellow, was just on his way back to work after proposing to a woman he had never dated. He had known her for years and for the past 3 of those god had been telling him that she was the one he was to marry. So a few months ago he dropped everything and proposed to her, she said yes and they are getting married may 5th. 

Also I am think about writing a D&D adventure where the party signs on to a ship but the captain keeps changing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I stayed in a penthouse in Saint Louis which was crazy cool it was the 9th floor of some building. 

St. Louis has a boat load of free museums in forest park which was an absolute delight to go to. I went to the zoo and it was decent. They also had an art, science...and I feel like there was a third or fourth one. I obviously didn't go to those. 

The soldier monument and a few super old buildings I wanted to check out were closed for repairs. 

Its a nice city, but I avoided all the bad sections of town and heard quite a few stories of the violence. The entrance to the penthouse on the ground floor was ringed with bullet holes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I left Lexington planning on going to Charleton west Virginia. 

Halfway through the day a truck driver picks me up and offers me a ride. Turns out he was heading to South Carolina via a stop in Pennsylvania. So that's where I headed, super nice guy if a little off once in a while. Ended up offering me a job if I ever made it to his neck of the woods in texas. He was hauling pipe bomb explosives for mining so I helped him load and unload stuff and he fed me ihop. 

It was hilarious because he facetimed his 8th grade science teacher in the middle of dinner and had a conversation. I swear he called half the people in his phone book to tell him of the crazy hitchhiker he picked up. 

I had him leave me in Richmond Virginia because I wanted to explore the city. I found a guy who has couch surfers. Super cool dude. We ate subs and talked about Dungeons and Dragons. Funny enough he is probably going to be moving to Seattle to go to UW 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Big day of firsts. 

Left Richmond this morning and have ended up in Halifax. If ya havent heard of Halifax well neither had I before today. 

First I finally got harrassed by a state trooper. Belck. Annoying. I was in front of the "no pedestrian" sign by a good ways. Le sigh. Whatever floats ya boat man. 

Second a plumber and an electrician (sounds like a great start of a joke), gave me a ride in their work van. They were real nice and decided to go to the farthest job they had to give me the best ride. And the plumber didnt have any weed but he did offer me heroin. I passed up on that adventure. 

Had to jump in the window of one guys truck because his door didn't open.

Finally I was reminded of how universal kindness is. I got invited into a man's home, he offered me a place to stay the night and a warm dinner and place to sleep. His family basically accepted me as one of them. They even prayed over me and my journey at their evening devotion. These kind folks also drink raw milk, beleive the earth is flat and dont trust vaccines to name a few of their ideals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2