Travelling

generalripphook

3 minutes ago, JMGraham said:

Just found this thread - holy smokes, Eli, this is the best! Sounds like an incredible adventure thus far. I hope you're safe and that all continues to go well.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

Jim I created this in part to keep you informed! 

Also I now own a machete. I did not buy a machete, I was given one. Because I Got a ride from a nice lady who proceded to describe EVERY [BIG BAD SWEAR WORD] SNAKE WHICH COULD KILL ME. I HATE SNAKES. So after seeing the pure horror on my face, she gave me a machete. 

I hope people still give me a ride after I am drenched in blood from fighting off this horde of snakes that are apparently set on a mission to kill me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, generalripphook said:

Jim I created this in part to keep you informed! 

Also I now own a machete. I did not buy a machete, I was given one. Because I Got a ride from a nice lady who proceded to describe EVERY [BIG BAD SWEAR WORD] SNAKE WHICH COULD KILL ME. I HATE SNAKES. So after seeing the pure horror on my face, she gave me a machete. 

I hope people still give me a ride after I am drenched in blood from fighting off this horde of snakes that are apparently set on a mission to kill me. 

While the blood might be scary, I'm certain the fact that you have a machete will allay any concerns.

• Haha 1

This is the US.  The only snakes you really have to be afraid of are baby rattlers.  Everything else is both interested in and smart enough to stay away from you.  The problem with baby rattlers is that first, they are not smart enough to avoid you and second, they haven't figured out how to control the venom they hit with so you actually get more venom from them than an adult.

That said, this is not Australia.  It's not like frickin' everything thinks you are food.  If you just make noise, even normal rustling around, everything in nature is going to decide you are a lousy neighbor and head away from you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have had an amazing string of luck with rides. 

In charleston I got dropped off and walked maybe 2 blocks towards the interstate. And someone pulled over. I just had my sign on my backpack. 

So I get to Savannah. I see the city, we come back. Toss back some brewskies. Oh man, one guy has to leave late because he is traveling? Where too? BOOM ATLANTA. 

I get to Atlanta. I am couch surfing and come  back to cook some food. The interior design traveling salesman roomate comes in. Super excited to have a weekend off. He has to travel on Monday. To Florida.

Honestly I kinda miss sitting on the side of the road. Kinda takes the whole "ya never know what chocolate you're gonna get" thing away. 

P.s. I really want some chocolate now. And has anyone tried Praline? I know it sounds like a drug but apparently its made from pecans or something. God its good. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also I keep running into weird drama. 

In Kentucky I had a run in with middleaged woman having a midlife crisis and not handling it in any productive way. I am talking one hid her problems, another cheated on her husband and the last was hammered by 5 and had dinner with her family at 6. Did I mention the ones husband was in a bar across the street.,

I had a ride with a college girl and her high school sister and her high school friends. Omg Becky did you hear what....sigh. I do not miss that. But on the plus side they did know how to car dance to some cheesy songs. 

Then I show up at a place couch surfing. The house is two couples and they are currently suoer fueding. I spend two nights there and one ended up being with each of the couples. The morning after the second night I saw then interact. Damn people can be so so fake. I dont understand how neither party just extracts themselves from such an obviously toxic situations. So many people just make excuses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also on a happy note, I volunteered with a group called permaculture action network. 

They helped revitalize a womans community garden in a food desert in west atlanta where the vacancy in the neighborhood is higher than 50s. We rebuilt her greenhouse, helped build a retaining wall for the creek, planted trees and helped clean up. The ammount of garbage is insane.

They also teamed up with Lead to Life which melts down guns confiscated by police and uses the metal to make farming tools. 

Such an amazing group of people. Made me feel like I was home in the PNW. 

Also Georgia has a law where they can't destroy weapons confiscsted but they don't want to sell them. So the Georgia police is sitting on thousands of weapons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like Savannah a lot. I ended up visiting it by accident when Erin and I were camping in South Carolina and realized that our campsite was infested with mosquitoes and black biting flies the size of vultures. We bailed and went to Savannah instead. I love the whole feel of the city, the squares, the Spanish moss, the giant cockroaches... Well, maybe not those. Savannah has one of the best haunted history tours I've been on.

It's interesting how much of your trip has been about the people. Flitting in and out of folks lives puts you in such an interesting position. I'm not surprised you're running into some strange drama, but I'm happy you're running into the occasional act of kindness as well. 

• Like 2

I have made it to Milton Florida. My best friends sisters wedding is tomorrow and I am so glad to see my best friend. 

I'll be honest I've missed some foods and some other things but I missed this guy the most. 

Also florida is stupid hot. Also stupid humidity. I would have to embrace nudity to live down here. Be some crazy naked guy living in the bayou......Kinda tempting  

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I left Niceville on sunday to try and get to New Orleans. 

I arrived yesterday. This is a 3 hour trip that took 3 dayyyyys. Up north you can stand on the side of the road and people will pick you up. But in the south you almost have to be aggressive and go to gas stations and rest stops and ask people where they are going and if they have room. 

First time I got to ride on the interstate in the back of a truck tho so that was fun. 

New Orleans is nice so far. I snuck into the National World War 2 museum. Glad I didnt pay because it was a great museum but I already knew a lot about world war 2 so it wasn't something I would have gotten any worth out of if I had paid 30 some dollars. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

In New Orleans I ran into some folks in the back yard of the place I was staying at. Turns out they film equestrian events and they were a man short. 

This event also happened to be in the same direction I was going. So not only did I get a ride but I got a small bit of employment filming horses jumping and stuff. 

It's a whole different world of people that do that. The parking lot turned into a classy trailer camp. 

I also hate horses. I think they are useless. Like big trucks(unless of course you use them for farming or hauling thing). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Are you still in NoLa? I know some peep from Colorado living there.

Nah, I am staying with some ole friends of my uncles in Santa Fe New Mexico. 

Its crazy I spent a few days with the most stereotypical right folks in Texas. And now I am with probably the ultimate left side of the spectrum. 

In Texas, this father had a series of questions he had to ask his daughter about the boy she started seeing. 

"Where does he live?" 

"Does he drive?" 

"Does he work?"-construction

"Does he go to school?"-most high school boys in texas drop out and work construction 

"Is he white?" 

And not to be political but these people couldn't fathom that I could even think of voting for "a dirty n-word from Kenya Barack Hussain Obama"

Yet they picked up a hitchiker and let him stay a night or two at their house. 

From Santa Fe I am heading west towards Vegas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2018 at 12:39 AM, generalripphook said:

And not to be political but these people couldn't fathom that I could even think of voting for "a dirty n-word from Kenya Barack Hussain Obama"

Yet they picked up a hitchiker and let him stay a night or two at their house. 

They picked up a white hitchhiker. My experience living in smallish town Texas was that everyone was always very nice to me, very polite. My East Indian co-workers? Much less so. Ahmer would spend the night in the lab some nights if he stayed too late, so he wouldn't have to walk past the bars on his way home.

Sorry to hear about your aunt! I hope you arrive there safely.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1