2018 OFCC 40K Team Event - Players Guide - BETA

evil_bryan

4 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Written in gw style :). Rules state single detachment with no model over 400 pts or 20 wounds. There is some flavor text about sources but those ain't rules...

If you apply number of books as sources then rough riders ain't old school, lol. While if sources means specific <> only detachment then index is cool as is forge world for old school. 

Where are you getting the <> is a source? Wouldn't that make getting the achievement almost trivial as long as the army is running a single detachment. Just keep inexpensive units and don't run any sort of imperium/chaos soup and by this definition one would automatically get the achievement.

Due to the nature of interpretation I think that this may need @evil_bryan to explain his intent.

53 minutes ago, Manethak said:

Where are you getting the <> is a source? Wouldn't that make getting the achievement almost trivial as long as the army is running a single detachment. Just keep inexpensive units and don't run any sort of imperium/chaos soup and by this definition one would automatically get the achievement.

Due to the nature of interpretation I think that this may need @evil_bryan to explain his intent.

Source of units vs source of reference. I'm thinking old-school like way back units were actually scattered through out books and white dwarf but were very specific to armies. Personally I'm sourcing all of my models and units from the <Salamanders> chapter of the Adeptus Astartes. This is not trivial even out of a single book some people are taking multiple chapters while the rules incent you to take multiple detachments for this you could take them together in  a single detachment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skkipper said:

that doesn't matter since the Chinork is in a different source then the rest of your army. one source is one book

When I asked, there was nothing about sources. Flyers and superheavies were singled out, hence me asking for clarification on flyers.

"One source is one book" that's your preferred interpretation. May be what Bryan meant. May be that he's referring to faction. Until he clarifies the clarification we're just making educated guesses.

Upon clarification of the clarification, I shall bestow another "Evil Bryan "fact""

Man, this is making me miss 7th edition. 🙂

Okay, to clarify sources....I do mean one source to qualify for Old School. In my eyes, a source is any published codex or index for 8th edition.

To date, there are 5 Indexes in 40K and 4 in Forgeworld. I think we also have 18 published codices with more to come. If a model is released with rules in White Dwarf, it can be used in a corresponding codex (or index) without issue provided it has similar keywords. Also, new Forgeworld models can be included with the corresponding Forgeworld Index (but not a normal codex) provided they also share similar keywords. Please note that these restrictions only apply to Old School and do not impact your ability to include this models under normal circumstances.

One final note, you can run Forgeworld and still earn Old School but it would require your single source to be one of the Forgeworld Indexes. 

Please let me know if that clarifies the situation.

• Like 2

I think the clarification is great.  I think I am following you.  

I do still need to ask, as do others.  What about models that have index entries only.  Good example is the 3 mounted Slaanesh heralds.  They where left from the demon codex for whatever reason.  If I was to take these.  I would not be going old school as I am using 2 sources?  That or are you still considering it one source as long as the only thing I be using is the index heralds as they where not placed in the demon codex?  I know 8th in a way seems more confusing in terms of the keyword issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skkipper said:

so old school is basically one book

1-2 hq

0-3 elites

2-6 troops

0-3 fast

0-3 heavy

no super heavies or gargantuan or buildings. nothing with greater than 20 wounds. 

Actually there is no "Force Organization Chart" style restriction. Just that your army comes from a single detachment (see other quote below). I think this is the best way to run it as many old school forces changed the Force Organization Chart - Saim-Hann Eldar, Steel Legion IG, etc.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:32 AM, evil_bryan said:

Going Old School - Sources?!? You mean source! Your whole army fits within a single Detachment from one source with no flyers, super heavies, or gargantuan creatures

My 4th ed Ulthwe Seer Council requires 3 HQ slots (which Battalion Detachments have) so I'm happy 😀

• Poop 1

1 minute ago, Gorgosaurusrex said:

Actually there is no "Force Organization Chart" style restriction. Just that your army comes from a single detachment (see other quote below). I think this is the best way to run it as many old school forces changed the Force Organization Chart - Saim-Hann Eldar, Steel Legion IG, etc.

My 4th ed Ulthwe Seer Council requires 3 HQ slots (which Battalion Detachments have) so I'm happy 😀

Kinda hate you right now... my old army isn't old school... guess I'm just original new school 😛

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sume said:

I think the clarification is great.  I think I am following you.  

I do still need to ask, as do others.  What about models that have index entries only.  Good example is the 3 mounted Slaanesh heralds.  They where left from the demon codex for whatever reason.  If I was to take these.  I would not be going old school as I am using 2 sources?  That or are you still considering it one source as long as the only thing I be using is the index heralds as they where not placed in the demon codex?  I know 8th in a way seems more confusing in terms of the keyword issue.

For the sake of simplicity, I would have to call that 2 sources. I fear that is not the only example of items not carrying through from the Index to the Codex and listing all of the exceptions makes the process even more complex.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bryan.  I know there was mention of other things like Khorne lords on Juggernauts.  I was using Slaanesh as the example as I plan to be running mono Slaanesh demons.  The mounted seeker hearlds are overall better picks then the ones on foot that did make it into the book.

Thanks for answering and clearing that up as 8th and the keyword system so far has kinda made my head hurt as I am starting to learn to play it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow.  I love it.  They finally got rid of Best General.  Oh man.  That totally makes me happy.  I myself am terrible at painting and I have six eye surgeries in 3 years to prove why.  But this change is so appropriate for this event.  Why even BOTHER bringing a crazy good  list when a win couldnt matter less.  Why not just do representative interesting forces if you have no built in reason (other than ego) not to!  I just love it.  Lots of people have commented on this in past years, the disconnect bwtweenthe OFCC mission and 5he awards.  Now it has happened.  This is such a good move.  Sorry that I'm gushing but man...

• 4 weeks later...

List Building Restrictions:

OFCC is about celebrating our hobby, demonstrating good sportsmanship, and playing fun games. Players are encouraged to bring armies that reinforce those values. This event is designed to encourage and reward players who embrace the experience.

• The army size must be no more than 2,000 points
  • It can include any 40K units from any number of 40K approved Games Workshop or Forgeworld sources
  • The maximum number of detachments your army can contain is 4
  • The number of times each datasheet can be included is 4

Models, Counts As and WYSIWYG:

• Games Workshop models are not required for this event
  • Alternate models should reflect the same scale as the Games Workshop equivalent
  • Weapon upgrades and certain model specific wargear should be represented on the equipped model
    • It is impossible to outline all the examples, so here is a good rule to follow
      • If a unit would be impacted by the removal of something equipped to a specific model (banner, special weapon, etc.) then it must be represented
  • Proxies are not allowed in the 40K Team Event
    • A proxy is a placeholder when you don't have an appropriate model to use
  • Counts As armies are allowed during the 40K event with the following guidelines:
    • Effort must be made to represent the model/unit in question
    • Representation must be consistent across the army
    • It is the responsibility of the player who bring a Counts As army to inform their opponent early and often about what is being represented
    • Any specific questions or additional guidance should be directed to me

So, just wondering about a few things.

1) With the above, sounds like bringing less than 2k for your army size is acceptable. Even much less than 2k. A 500pt list would acceptable as written.

2) For counts as/alternate models, sounds like a certain someone's Tyranid Limousine Tervigon is not acceptable, since it doesn't reflect the size. Is this the case? I personally like that model and think exceptions should allowed for really cool conversions, like that. Dunno if they will be attending with that army anyway.

PS: I'm not attending. Looking forward to pictures, and giving brian feedback on his written rules. They look good otherwise.

On 6/8/2018 at 10:35 AM, Lord Hanaur said:

I myself am terrible at painting and I have six eye surgeries in 3 years to prove why. 

I wanna see some of your models now...😄

15 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

So, just wondering about a few things.

1) With the above, sounds like bringing less than 2k for your army size is acceptable. Even much less than 2k. A 500pt list would acceptable as written.

This as I understand it is fine. One of the opponents I played two years ago brought either a 1750 or 1850 list full of defilers (if memory serves) plus a brass scorpion. Still lost with my 2000 point list, but had fun blowing up the scorpion. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

@Lord Hanaur That model looks great.

Though seeing it does make me question your stance on being a bad painter.

Like I said...this was after the surgeries.  😃  and those just  finished up this year.  So...  Now that I can see clearly where colors end and begin and can see the shading much more clearly and so on, some of my liabilities are gone.  Fine control is still something to master but as you can see, some of that was symptomatic of simply not seeing what i was doing very well.  I knew the techniques, but executing?  Another matter.  I do appreciate the compliment.  Thanks!

How much should I pay attention to power level when writing my list? 

Beyond the usual considerations like the new Tactical Reserves rule, are there any scenario related or event specific rules I should be aware of? I don't need to know what the rules might be, just wondering if I should care at all. 

For instance, I'm planning on taking 4 clawed fiends with my Drukhari. That's an absurd 10 power level and they are nowhere near that good. If I drop just one out, then they're 5 PL.

I'd prefer taking the 4 for symmetry but it's unjustifiable if it'll hurt me. 

• Like 1