SPDM: ShadeSpire at Card Kingdom 3/31

WestRider

Didn't think to post this here until just now. Looks to be a good time. Sign up here.

Sparkle Party Deathmatch in the City of Mirrors
A Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire Tournament and Painting Competition

Date:
March 31, 2018
11 a.m.–8 p.m.

5105 Leary Ave NW Seattle, WA 98107
(206) 523-2273
Cost: $5 

Warband Selection
Players must bring at least one or two unique warbands, each of which must have a fixed deck for the entirety of the event. Decks must follow the deck-building guidelines (pg. 13) of the core rule book. At the beginning of each tournament round, players choose which warband they will use for the entirety of that tournament round.

Game Boards and Tokens
All players must bring at least one game board and enough tokens to play the game.

Tournament Play
Swiss-format tournament bracket will be used.
Players will play three tournament rounds.
The winner of each tournament round will be determined by best of three games.

Painting Competition
Paint will be scored by a combination of an objective rubric and fellow player votes.

Painting and Models
You may play with unpainted models but, if you do so, you are not eligible to win Best Painted or Best Overall.
Proxy models are not allowed.
Conversions are allowed if the models remain clearly identifiable.

Props and Phat Lewts
Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place for the following: In-store credit will be awarded to the first-place winner in each category.
• Best Painted Warband. If tied, the player with the highest number of player’s-choice votes wins.
• Best Warlord. If tied, the player with the highest glory points wins. (Sum of highest two scores per tournament round.)
• Best Overall. Based on ranking of Paint and Warlord combined.
  • Like 1

Each Warband pack comes with a set selection of new cards. Some of them are specifically for that Warband, and some of them are generic and usable by anyone. At least as of now, you can't get the cards by themselves, but on the flipside, they're not randomly packed. Not sure if that's how SW:XW works.

Right now, with the latest releases (Fyreslayers and Skaven), the initial set of cards has been completely released, which could fill in some gaps that were around when it was only two or four Warbands, if the balance issues you'd heard about were from earlier in the game's cycle.

From what I've heard, the Orruks seem to be a bit ahead of the pack, but nothing even close to the kind of power spread 40K has between Factions.

On 3/29/2018 at 5:37 PM, WestRider said:

Each Warband pack comes with a set selection of new cards. Some of them are specifically for that Warband, and some of them are generic and usable by anyone. At least as of now, you can't get the cards by themselves, but on the flipside, they're not randomly packed. Not sure if that's how SW:XW works.

Right now, with the latest releases (Fyreslayers and Skaven), the initial set of cards has been completely released, which could fill in some gaps that were around when it was only two or four Warbands, if the balance issues you'd heard about were from earlier in the game's cycle.

From what I've heard, the Orruks seem to be a bit ahead of the pack, but nothing even close to the kind of power spread 40K has between Factions.

Comparisons between the two are impossible anyways but I was trying to liken it to something I know.  X-wing has you buy a ship, and with it come cards meant for that ship but that can be applied on other units as well.  So it sounds similar in that way.  So if you buy a warband, you will still want to get others in order to compete because the cards you get can be used elsewhere, yeah?  And yes, the balance issue was mentioned to me early on.  Like all games you go in having to show a little faith on it.  But it helps me think about it.

Another important thing to keep in mind, that you are never allowed to use more that 1 copy of each card in your decks. So there is never a reason to buy more than 1 expansion ever. Unlike X-Wing where you can have up to 3 cards in your deck forcing you to potentially purchase 3 expansions just to get 1 card. Plus with each expansion you get a fully usable Warband. Overall its a really good system. I would still love to see GW make a season one card pack that comes with all of the generic cards from the set.

1 hour ago, deadwing34 said:

Another important thing to keep in mind, that you are never allowed to use more that 1 copy of each card in your decks. So there is never a reason to buy more than 1 expansion ever. Unlike X-Wing where you can have up to 3 cards in your deck forcing you to potentially purchase 3 expansions just to get 1 card. Plus with each expansion you get a fully usable Warband. Overall its a really good system. I would still love to see GW make a season one card pack that comes with all of the generic cards from the set.

Well, it can get kind of frustrating trying to maintain multiple Warbands with only one copy of each card. I really wouldn't mind having another Cunning Duelist and Earthquake or three.

What I really want as a standalone is a board pack, tho, so I can play multi-player with my brother and his wife without needing to buy another core box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

Well, it can get kind of frustrating trying to maintain multiple Warbands with only one copy of each card. I really wouldn't mind having another Cunning Duelist and Earthquake or three.

What I really want as a standalone is a board pack, tho, so I can play multi-player with my brother and his wife without needing to buy another core box.

Oh yah I forgot about that reason, I think you are right. Ideally they would have a generic card pack expansion that would come out with each expansion. Rumors are they will come out with board only releases as well. I really wish they would explain in detail the plans for Warhammer Underworlds after these next two expansions that come out on the 14th of this month. I do play with more than 1 Warband at a time with my son but have not felt the need to buy more than I expansion. I just make due with all of the generic cards that I have in my expansions (I own 1 copy of all of the expansions released so far).

• Like 1