In line with never finishing any army, I've decided to start collecting Eldar. I say start, but I got a bunch from my cousin, plus a few trades recently, so I'm not sure how many I'll be needing to "collect." Plan is Altaioc, not so much for their rules, but because Rangers are the only troops I have presently. Paint Scheme is sort of tree themed, with it being Green, with wood-like sections, and apple red gems.

List is mainly so I can figure out how many points I have.

HQ Mugen Ra 140

HQ Baharroth 110

HQ Nightspear 80

HQ Avatar of Khaine 250

HQ Farseer 100

HQ Farseer/Autarch 

Elites Wraithguard (8, Cannons) 240

Troops Rangers (12) 144

Heavy Dark Reapers (12, including 1 shuriken cannon exarch and 1 missile launcher exarch) 315

Heavy Wraithlord (Spirit Walker) Wraithlord 103+weapons

Heavy Fire Prism 155+weapons

Heavy Fire Prism 155+weapons

Heavy Falcon 125+weapons

Heavy Warp Hunter 285+weapons

Fast Vyper 50+weapons

Fast Vyper 50+weapons

Flyer Pheonix 183+weapons

Dedicated Transport Wave Serpent 107+weapons

Lord of War Scorpion 700+weapons

Total: 3506pts (Not including variable weapons or the farseer/autarch)

4 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

Alaitoc is a good faction to choose, honestly. i think it will be what I do when I get around to that army again.

Agree, but that's kinda why I feel the need to justify myself, as I often take iffy army choices for fluffy reasons. 

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

It does seem like CSM got a worse codex...

Welcome to the black sheep of the family. Haven't had a good dex in 5 editions. 

Idgaf if your sisters haven't gotten a dex, they've been niche, not core line. 

I think I just heard someone singing the duck tails theme song.  I'm sitting in my car at fred meyer. ^_^

• Like 1

So, Scorpion (Armorcast Tempest) has some funky rules. I mean, it has an invulnerable save based on how far it moves which is fine, but to get the optimal save, I have to advance which means no shooting of the main weapon (heavy weapon). Thoughts? Basically smoke launchers, I suppose. 

Still a good tank, but I kinda feel that the 700pt base price tag reflects getting the better save all the time. Is there perhaps an eldar buff that will improve my move speed?

Thinking about it more, since Scorpion's save is based on movement, this means that best time for the opponent to shoot the Scorpion is turn 1 if they go first, since by having not moved, I will have no invulnerable save...That's quite a weakness. Going to have to hide or something, for turn 1. 

That said, as an ASURYANI unit with FLY, I can use the Lighting Fast Reactions stratagem for 2cp to reduce hit rolls in the shooting phase by 1. Plus the ALAITOC reducing hits by 1 if shots originate beyond 12" (like Alpha Legion). Should eliminate the weaknesses for turn 1. Too many CP to do it every turn, plus I can't rely on always being 12" away from the enemy, especially on a tank with zero melee options, but for turn 1, when I lack my invulnerable, seems like a reasonable option. 

Anyway, I'll have a painted tank (Warp Hunter) posted Soon. My paint schemes have become lazy of late, but it's not bad. Feels right for tree-hugging eldar. 

And as an aside, dunno if any saw my random 40k sale thread, but I ended up keeping and stripping some really damaged eldar Prisms and a Falcon, and with much brake fluid, they are stripping pretty nicely (still damaged) and I've started painting the sections stripped.

1 hour ago, paxmiles said:

Thinking about it more, since Scorpion's save is based on movement, this means that best time for the opponent to shoot the Scorpion is turn 1 if they go first, since by having not moved, I will have no invulnerable save...That's quite a weakness. Going to have to hide or something, for turn 1. 

That said, as an ASURYANI unit with FLY, I can use the Lighting Fast Reactions stratagem for 2cp to reduce hit rolls in the shooting phase by 1. Plus the ALAITOC reducing hits by 1 if shots originate beyond 12" (like Alpha Legion). Should eliminate the weaknesses for turn 1. Too many CP to do it every turn, plus I can't rely on always being 12" away from the enemy, especially on a tank with zero melee options, but for turn 1, when I lack my invulnerable, seems like a reasonable option. 

Anyway, I'll have a painted tank (Warp Hunter) posted Soon. My paint schemes have become lazy of late, but it's not bad. Feels right for tree-hugging eldar. 

And as an aside, dunno if any saw my random 40k sale thread, but I ended up keeping and stripping some really damaged eldar Prisms and a Falcon, and with much brake fluid, they are stripping pretty nicely (still damaged) and I've started painting the sections stripped.

I have an extremely large Eldar army for sale if you're interested.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I have an extremely large Eldar army for sale if you're interested.  

Good God, no, don't need more eldar. Well, there are a few I'm tenatively looking for. I sent Torg a list, but if he gives up the search I'll ask around more. Thanks. 

18 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Good God, no, don't need more eldar. Well, there are a few I'm tenatively looking for. I sent Torg a list, but if he gives up the search I'll ask around more. Thanks. 

I sold my friend an army for a very good deal and he decided he had too much going on to play it.  So he wants me to sell it for a very good price to someone who will use it.  Ergo...  

But no biggee.  I'll probably post it on EBay if the elusive "free moment" arrives when i can list it all out etc...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I sold my friend an army for a very good deal and he decided he had too much going on to play it.  So he wants me to sell it for a very good price to someone who will use it.  Ergo...  

But no biggee.  I'll probably post it on EBay if the elusive "free moment" arrives when i can list it all out etc...

We'll, here's what I'm looking for, PM me if you actually have them.

Any Edition of metal eldar rangers. 

Also interested in 3rd edition vibro cannons http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:3rd-Ed-Vibrocannon.jpg 

RT eldar Missile Launcher bits http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:RT-1988-eldar-weapons-missile-launcher.jpg 

2nd edition Scatter lasers http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:2nd-Ed-Scatter.jpg 

Eldar Dreadnoughts/wraithlords with the older style arms http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:RT-1987-Banshee-Dread.jpg 

and any edition of metal dark reaper with weapons that can currently be fielded.

Also interested in Armorcast/Epicast Falcons, Prism Tanks (Deathstalkers), and Night Spinners (Doomweavers).

26 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

We'll, here's what I'm looking for, PM me if you actually have them.

Any Edition of metal eldar rangers. 

Also interested in 3rd edition vibro cannons http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:3rd-Ed-Vibrocannon.jpg 

RT eldar Missile Launcher bits http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:RT-1988-eldar-weapons-missile-launcher.jpg 

2nd edition Scatter lasers http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:2nd-Ed-Scatter.jpg 

Eldar Dreadnoughts/wraithlords with the older style arms http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/File:RT-1987-Banshee-Dread.jpg 

and any edition of metal dark reaper with weapons that can currently be fielded.

Also interested in Armorcast/Epicast Falcons, Prism Tanks (Deathstalkers), and Night Spinners (Doomweavers).

I literally have all of it.  hehe.  But ill see if he does.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I literally have all of it.  hehe.  But ill see if he does.

You have the armorcast/epicast Deathstalkers and Doomweavers? We need to talk. 

1 minute ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I do.  He might.  He's the one selling so I'll check it out.  I know another guy who has some as well, although he's kind of a collector so i'm not sure he would part with them.  Trade is usually best with him.  Anywho when i gt the proverbial "free moment" to dig in I will.

Ah, no worries. Take your time. Just surprised is all. Always amazed what still exists from the old hobby. 

12 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Ah, no worries. Take your time. Just surprised is all. Always amazed what still exists from the old hobby. 

I never played the old hobby.  Ironically.  Started in 2004 right at the end of 3rd...very end almost.  Fire at only the closest target, Pac-man rules for assault...  I got 8 games in before it switched.  My buddy played Orcs and loved destroying my T'au Empire with them.

3 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

I never played the old hobby.  Ironically.  Started in 2004 right at the end of 3rd...very end almost.  Fire at only the closest target, Pac-man rules for assault...  I got 8 games in before it switched.  My buddy played Orcs and loved destroying my T'au Empire with them.

I didn't play the old hobby either, I just like their models. I like the more comical 40k, reminding me of old cartoons and godzilla films. The new stuff is higher quality models, no question, but I feel the hobby has lost some of the sillyness it once had. 

Armorcast Tempest Arrived today in the original box. Copyright 1989. Weird to think it's almost 30yrs old. 

Doesn't really require assembly. I'm thinking I might go to GG to see if I can't get a game in with eldar. I'm thinking with this guy, I should have 2k of transportable eldar. I should make a list.

Alaitoc 2k

Spearhead Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Mugen Ra 140

HQ Nightspear 80

Elites Wraithguard (8, Cannons) 240

Troops Rangers (6) 72

Troops Rangers (6) 72

Heavy Dark Reapers (3+1 shuriken cannon exarch) 96

Heavy Dark Reapers (3+1 missile launcher exarch) 111

Heavy Dark Reapers (3+1 Reaper Launcher exarch) 108

Heavy Warp Hunter (Shuriken Cannon) 295

Subtotal 1,214pts

Super Heavy Aux Detachment (+0 CP)

Lord of War Scorpion (Shuriken Cannon) 710

Subtotal: 710pts

Total: 1,924pts, 4 CP

Hmm...I suppose with the extra points, I'll take Vectored Engines, Star Engines, Spirit Stones, and Crystal Targeting Matrix (+35pts) for both the Scorpion and the Warp Hunter, making my total 1,994pts

A couple of the pieces missing from the model remain elusive in my bits bin, but I'm confident I have them. Model isn't fully glued, with the bottom and top remaining unattached, so I do plan to add the driver in there. 

Defintiely doing more with the red "gems", but undecided on the green or "wooden panels." Needs touch ups too. But that's the general paint scheme planned for the army. Very earthy. A rather simple paint scheme. Undecided if highlights would look good with these eldar, but leaning towards no highlights.  

Once decided, this will all have a gloss coat. Then I'll put the driver in. 

Finally, plan is to base flying models on "clouds" made of spray foam housing insulation. I've used it before. Plan is to keep the model removeable from their base.