GK + Fallen....(Pax's forces of the Imperium)

Can someone doublecheck this for me? My Fallen (with cypher) could legally be fielded alongside a detachment of GK, right? Sounds really wrong, but Fallen have the Imperium Keyword in this edition...

Was just thinking that I want to field fallen, but my chaos is already too large to include them. Want to field my GK, but I don't really have enough of those for a full army.

Plus GK really need a cheaper unit of infantry to provide fire support and numbers. They don't really need an ally with mobility, as they have that in spades, but a decent backfield Marine squad with a lascannon would help the GK quite a bit. And the Fallen aren't bad, they just don't really benefit the CSM any.

Hmm. Rather than Creating a new thread, I'll keep the army info here. Picked up Cypher yesterday, after the ordo terrain day. I have a metal one, but I modified it a long while ago, back when cypher didn't have current rules, so I needed a new one. Pictures up once I'm satisfied with how he looks.

• 2 weeks later...

More of a learning game for a friend (they have 870pts), but I'm hopefully going to get my first game for this edition of GK via this list:

GK Vanguard Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Brother Captain (Warding Staff, Storm Bolter)

Elites Dreadnought (Twin Lascannon, Missile Launcher)

Troops Terminators (5, 2 swords, 2 halberds, Justicar with halberd, all with storm bolters)

Total 853pts, 4 Command Points

I don't think my opponent will have their codex, so I don't plan to use any relics or GK warlord traits. If they do have the codex, then I'll take Fury of Deimos for relic and Hammer of Righteousness for Warlord Trait.

Got two games in. First became a 4-way battle against the intended opponent(DA) and two others (IG and DE). Second was with the intended opponent as an ally, and was against Ultramarines.

Both games featured a single, central objective. We didn't use relics, warlords, or codex stratagems.

First game was a victory for DA, which was good, since it their first game of 40k. And we all had fun.

Second game ended in Draw due to time. Ended turn 2, with either group having secured the objective. Also fun.

Reviews of my units:

GK troops Terminators: I gave them sanctuary, but they never successfully cast it. Very underwhelming unit on the defensive end. Might want to tweak them and/or give them a transport.

GK Dreadnoughts: I gave them all Astral Aim, despite only one being able to cast it per turn. Astral aim was awesome, really adds to tactical options. Allowed me to set them up knowing that only 2 would have line of sight to any given target at any time, with the third being able to fire through walls. The GK modified smite also proved very useful. They were otherwise regular dreadnoughts with las/missile.

GK Brother Captain. I gave him Purge Soul which worked very well once in the two games. Otherwise a regular character in TDA. Never got him into melee, so I don't know if the warding staff was worth it.

Notes: One opponent in game 1 brought a Culexus assassin. That unit was a real challenge for the GK. Ended up having to charge almost every unit into melee in order to have enough attacks to kill it. We did kill it, but for the 80 or 85 points my opponent said it costs, that thing is incredibly powerful.

• 1 month later...

Working on a list. Picked up the BA codex because I wanted to try some of the new shiny models that keep beating me. Also broke down and bought many plastic models. This mostly metal kick is killing my army creation.

Fallen Vanguard Detachment (+1 CP)

HQ Cypher

Elites Fallen (5, 4x Plasma Guns)

Subtotal 476pts

Grey Knights Vanguard Detachment (+1 CP)

Undecided HQ

Elites Purgation Squad (5, 4x Psilencers, Storm Bolter, Hammer)

Subtotal 378pts

Blood Angels Vanguard (+1 CP)

HQ Primaris Captain (Mastercrafted Auto-Boltrifle, Power Sword)

Elites Reiver Squad (5, Pistol+CCWs)

Elites Aggressor Squad (3, Auto-Boltstorm Guantlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers)

Undecided Elites

Subtotal: 296pts

Total 1150 of 2000pts (6CP)

• 2 weeks later...

Made a minor discovery. Okay, I usually think about GK Incinerators as being +1 strength Heavy Flamers. What I failed to notice is that Heavy Flamers are Heavy weapons in this edition, while Incinerators remain Assault weapons. Doesn't matter hugely, but I should consider it as one of the advantages that GK have over marines, and therefore, should look to take advantage of it. Meh, just a minor discovery.

5 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Made a minor discovery. Okay, I usually think about GK Incinerators as being +1 strength Heavy Flamers. What I failed to notice is that Heavy Flamers are Heavy weapons in this edition, while Incinerators remain Assault weapons. Doesn't matter hugely, but I should consider it as one of the advantages that GK have over marines, and therefore, should look to take advantage of it. Meh, just a minor discovery.

I'm damn sure we have a thread about this

4 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'm damn sure we have a thread about this

A recent one? I believe you, but I only just noticed it when I was making that list of bits.

EDIT: In any case, it's a discovery for me, the first time I notice it, even if others have noticed it before me.

Hmm...I think I'm going with this one.

2k Imperium

GK Spearhead

HQ Chaplain (Warlord, Inspiring Presence, Fury of Deimos, Purge Soul,)

Elites Venerable Dreadnought (Multi-Melta, Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Flamer, Astral Aim)

Heavy Purgation Squad (4x Psilencers, Storm Bolter, Sword, Sanctuary)

Heavy Purgation Squad (4x Psilencers, Storm Bolter, Sword, Gate of Infinity)

Heavy Land Raider Crusader

BA Vanguard

HQ Sanguinary Priest

Elites Aggressor Squad (6, Boltstorm Guantlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers)

Elites Reiver Squad (10, Grav-Chute, Pistols and CCW)

Elites Sanguinary Guard (4, 2 Angelus Boltguns, 2 Plasma Pistols, 4 Power Fists, Death Masks)

Fallen Vanguard

HQ Cypher

Elites Fallen (5, 4x Plasma Guns, Bolter)

Total 1997pts, 105 PL, 6 Command Points

A few angles with the above list. Primarily, it's a volume fire army, which I don't typically run. Then I have the Purge Soul combo, where my GK HQ has Ld 10 (due to Inspiring Presence) and my BA have two units that can lower leadership (up to -2).

Regarding Volume fire, since @DisruptiveConductwas asking regarding necron Warriors in blocks of 10. Assuming everything is able to fire to maximum effect (rapid range, doesn't move, and all Die 'x' shots are maximum result), this army has:

Chappy Warlord with Fury of Deimos has 6 shots, 5 hit, 3.66 wound, 2.44 dead necrons warriors.

Venerable Dreadnought's multi-melta is negligible against necron warriors

Venerable Dreadnought's heavy flamer has 6 shots (d6), 6 hit, 4 wound, 2.66 dead necron warriors

Purgation Squads have 24 Psilencer shots, 18 hit, 9 wound, 4.5 dead necron warriors per squad, so 9 dead for both purgation squads.

Purgation Squads also have 2 Storm bolter shots which deal negligible damage

LR Crusader has 24 Hurricane bolter shots, 18 hit, 9 wound, 4.5 dead necron warriors

LR Crusader also has 12 assault cannon shots, 8 hit, 5.33 wound, 3.55 dead necron Warriors

Sanguinary Priest's 1 pistol shot deals negligible damage

Aggressor squad has 72 Boltstorm shots, 48 hit, 24 wound, 12 dead necron warriors

Aggressor Squad also has 72 (12d6) Fragstorm Shots, 48 hit, 24 wound, 12 dead necron warriors

Reiver Squad has 10 heavy bolt pistol shots, 6.66 hit, 3.33 wound, 2.22 dead necron warriors

Sanguinary Guard deals negligible damage

Cypher has 3 shots with his bolt pistol, 3 hit, 1.5 wound, 1 dead necron Warrior

Cypher also has 2 plasma pistol shots, 2 hit, 1.83 wound, 1.83 dead necron warriors

Fallen squads have 8 super charged plasma shots, 6.66 hit, 5.55 wound, 5.55 dead necron warriors. All three Fallen squads fell 16.65 necron warriors.

So, in total, 65.41 necron warriors in the shooting phase.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to get an answer regarding number of detachments allowed in the GW store's escalation league, so here's a mono-detachment list of GK with 60 PL:

GK Vanguard Detachment

HQ Chaplain (Warlord, Inspiring Leader, Purge Soul, Fury of Deimos) 8 PL

Elites Dreadnought (Las/ML, Astral Aim) 8 PL

Elites Venerable Dreadnought (DCCW+HF/MM, Gate of Infinity) 9 PL

Heavy Purgation Squad (4 Incinerators, 1 Hammer+SB, Astral Aim) 7 PL

Heavy Purgation Squad (4 Psilencers, 1 Hammer+SB, Gate of Infinity) 7 PL

Dedicated Transport Razorback (Twin Las) 5 PL

Total: 60 PL

Incinerator Purgation squad is in the razorback and the psychic power is for use on their transport. List is what it is because my GK are no where near finished, or even intended to be fielded as a solo force, but they are doing better than my Fallen or BA, and I wanted to run my Imperium this week.