Star Trek Attack Wing at GG (reoccuring event)

Last Thursday of every month. 6pm-10pm. In the Bar area. Run by GG staff. Also a 10% off Star Trek Attack Wing during the game night if you play at least 1 game. No listed entry cost.

They apparently have extra ships (and related) for new players just wanting to test the game.

Next one will be tomorrow, Thursday the 26th.

Attended. It was fun. One of the guys had a set of alternate rules he made, where rather than a traditional battle, it was designed around mario kart. So it was a race around a track. Each player with 1 ship, we 4 the first time, and 6 the second time. Very fun.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How many points (or whatever they call their points) is a typical game of Star Trek: Attack Wing?

I don’t see myself ever becoming a frequent player of the game, but as a life-long Trekkie I wouldn’t mind picking up a couple of my favorite ships to have as “desktop toys.” 

They pop up on eBay with some regularity and Guardian frequently runs sales. So if I only need 3-4 ships... Why not?

12 minutes ago, Ish said:

How many points (or whatever they call their points) is a typical game of Star Trek: Attack Wing?

I don’t see myself ever becoming a frequent player of the game, but as a life-long Trekkie I wouldn’t mind picking up a couple of my favorite ships to have as “desktop toys.” 

They pop up on eBay with some regularity and Guardian frequently runs sales. So if I only need 3-4 ships... Why not?

130pts is the typical game. It's very similar to Xwing, except the company that makes them doesn't support the game very well, but that also means less things to buy, so meh. Xwing also has a tighter ruleset, while Star Trek has more exotic rules.

More specific list creation rules (as well as updated rules) are here:

https://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing-rules-for-tournaments/

Yeah, it says tournaments, but it's the same rules for most casual games. Some events also enforce specific faction rules, but most games I've played encourage mix-and-match fleets, which is good because the company doesn't have a balanced approach to faction support...

Playing around with an online fleet builder, I threw together a 130 Point list that started out, basically, as saying "I really like the Constitution-class (Refit) and the Miranda-class... Hey, why not just use the ships and cast-members from Wrath of Khan!?"

If I shop around for the ships, I should be able to pick up all three for well-under $50... and if I proxy the cards, instead of trying to "chase the dragon" CCG-style by going after the random originals. Hmm. Could be fun.

U.S.S. Enterprise [24]
- James T. Kirk 9 (Captain) [6]
- - Cheat Death [3]
- - Prefix Code [3]
- Photon Torpedoes [3]
- Montgomery Scott [5]
- Mr. Spock [5]
- Nyota Uhura [3]
Ship Total: 52 SP

U.S.S. Reliant [20]
- Clark Terell 2 (Captain) [1]
- Upgraded Phasers [3]
- Pavel Chekov [3]
- Redshirt [4]
Ship Total: 31 SP

U.S.S. Excelsior [26]
- Hikaru Sulu 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Full Alert [5]
- Transwarp Drive [3]
- Photon Torpedoes [3]
- Janice Rand [2]
- Redshirt [4]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://comatoes.github.io/staw-utopia/

1 hour ago, Ish said:

Playing around with an online fleet builder, I threw together a 130 Point list that started out, basically, as saying "I really like the Constitution-class (Refit) and the Miranda-class... Hey, why not just use the ships and cast-members from Wrath of Khan!?"

If I shop around for the ships, I should be able to pick up all three for well-under $50... and if I proxy the cards, instead of trying to "chase the dragon" CCG-style by going after the random originals. Hmm. Could be fun.

Buying 3 ships brand new would be $45. With those particular ships, might be sold together in a faction pack, which are $30 for 4 ships. Game is really cheap, especially if you don't bother getting originals of the cards. 

Should be cheaper on amazon, maybe cheaper on ebay, and definitely cheaper in trade. And beyond that, the rules don't actually require any ships. You just need that square base/token to play, the ship model is purely a decoration, the models aren't used at all in the rules.

I will note that the fleet builder you linked isn't complete. I've got cards that don't show up in that. Again, the game has rather lacking support. Lots of partially complete online resources for this game, between several you can usually find what you need.

I find this one pretty useful just to look at the ship choices:

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/staw:Ship_Listing

On 10/18/2019 at 3:55 PM, Ish said:

U.S.S. Enterprise [24]
- James T. Kirk 9 (Captain) [6]
- - Cheat Death [3]
- - Prefix Code [3]
- Photon Torpedoes [3]
- Montgomery Scott [5]
- Mr. Spock [5]
- Nyota Uhura [3]
Ship Total: 52 SP

U.S.S. Reliant [20]
- Clark Terell 2 (Captain) [1]
- Upgraded Phasers [3]
- Pavel Chekov [3]
- Redshirt [4]
Ship Total: 31 SP

U.S.S. Excelsior [26]
- Hikaru Sulu 6 (Captain) [4]
- - Full Alert [5]
- Transwarp Drive [3]
- Photon Torpedoes [3]
- Janice Rand [2]
- Redshirt [4]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://comatoes.github.io/staw-utopia/

In those linked tournament rules, cap is 50pts per ship. For ships with a base cost 43pts and above, they are permited 8pts of upgrades even though that puts them above 50pts. I could certainly be wrong, though, the rules are hard to retain because they are in lots of places and often partially modified elsewhere.

I don't play your faction, so I'm not sure what the various Fed cards do to know if the rest of your list is legal or viable. I will note that most games allow faction mixing, but if the ship differs from the upgrade's faction, there's a faction penalty in the form of a extra point cost. So a lot of the more "expert" players will have goofy mixes of various faction upgrades to be OP in one or more aspects of the game. And then, it depends on the local meta.