Battletech!

After sooo many years of waiting for a decent PC coversion of the old tabletop game,this latest release FINALLY has delivered the goods!

I was never much of a fan of the simulator games,having started with Fasa`s original minatures version,,the sims always ended up just being a spam fest with no real strategy amongst the teams.

This one is looking to be the best port from the old TT game,great graphics and fairly straightforward gameplay with mech moving feeling much like moving minis,complete with awesome terrain variance and great looking skins on the mechs.There is even vehicles in this game.Im sure there will be VTOLS and even infantry at some point in the game.Seems to be a deep unit building experience as well with scrap and mech customization coupled with forming lances and companies.Of course there is pilot experience as well,and they say theres a fairly robust economic system for mercenary unit developement.

So far the game seems to run pretty well,I have a mid level box with a second tier GPU so nothing fancy on my machine..load screens can be slow though.

For the 40.00 price tag,I would say this game is much more a value than many other first run games out there..especially when many studios are releasing at or north of 50.00 for first runs.

• 2 weeks later...

So did they just take the models from MechWarriorOnline? Anyways, played a few missions in the campaign yesterday. It was fun and very battletech. It isn't 100% table top, but it is close enough to be super cool. I took out one mech with an unexpected head shot. That was sweet. Of course, also means my own mechs can suffer that fate. Really gotta watch heat too. The interface isn't bad. I don't know why it doesn't always give you multishot, but for the most part, pretty darn sweet. I haven't tried any of the special target options just yet, but will eventually get into that. Only downside is that you start in a BlackJack. 🙂 

Actually, Morale is for precision shot and vigilance.  Multi and sensor lock and bulwark should be usable whenever you want (as long as you haven't broken the conditions of use, like moving for bulwark, firing for sensor lock, and I'm honestly not sure for Multi)

The game explains [big bad swear word] to you. I'm tossed in as now running a merc company, with no help or idea of what the hell to do. This is how you design a game? WTF! Injured pilots, damaged mechs....does it say anything about making sure those are fixed or anything like that? NOPE! Just better [big bad swear word]ing start clicking around the screen to see what there is because it doesn't direct you at all. How [big bad swear word]ing stupid.

Yeah, they did a terrible job with...well no tutorial. I learned most of what I knew/know watching Cohh stream it before release.  The main thing to know about this vs. Xcom is you don't have limited time to do missions.  Your only time constraint is how many credits you have to pay monthly expenses.  You will spend long periods of time waiting for mechwarriors to heal and/or mechs to finish being refit.  It's best to try and use the travel time between systems for refitting your mechs.  (All of the mechs you get should have armor added for instance). 

• Like 1

I still wish they had done a better job with preparing you for the role of merc commander, but overall I'm loving it too. I love that I can save the game anywhere and then hop back into it when I need to. Turn based rocks. Also super happy with lance sized game. Don't need more than that. I'm not too far into the story, but already got a nice medium lance going. Just need more jenner scraps so that I can add that as my new light mech. Currently rocking two ShadowHawks, a Centurion, and a Vindicator. Will have my Jager up soon.

8 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I still wish they had done a better job with preparing you for the role of merc commander, but overall I'm loving it too. I love that I can save the game anywhere and then hop back into it when I need to. Turn based rocks. Also super happy with lance sized game. Don't need more than that. I'm not too far into the story, but already got a nice medium lance going. Just need more jenner scraps so that I can add that as my new light mech. Currently rocking two ShadowHawks, a Centurion, and a Vindicator. Will have my Jager up soon.

medium mechs....how quaint 🙂

Rolling with 3 assaults and a heavy 🙂

• Like 1
  • Poop 1

I was all set to start the final campaign end game with 12 Mech Warriors and 18 mechs (one if you team recommends being able to field multiple Lance's). My mechs are all 50+ tons but I only had 2 assault mechs. Decided to go hunt some more. 2 Orions later and I am ready to roll!

• 3 weeks later...

Running a mission where I have four meds, going up against 8 mechs, multiple turrets (with no power stations to take out), and need to somehow stop two transports from getting away. WTF is up with this game? I'm sure I'm going to be stuck doing this mission over and over just to hopefully win. Thankfully I have a pre-mission save so I can try different builds. Still really enjoying it. Story line missions are the toughest ones.