Battletech!

4 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Running a mission where I have four meds, going up against 8 mechs, multiple turrets (with no power stations to take out), and need to somehow stop two transports from getting away. WTF is up with this game? I'm sure I'm going to be stuck doing this mission over and over just to hopefully win. Thankfully I have a pre-mission save so I can try different builds. Still really enjoying it. Story line missions are the toughest ones.

you are playing the "campaign" missions too soon.  use the smaller missions to build your forces.  I played that scenario with 2 assaults and 2 heavies.....its about campaign management.

@Burk Well I've beaten it twice, but keep losing one of my mechwarriors. I have a strategy down, just need to run it until the game doesn't screw me over with head shots. And sweet jesus, how many missions did you play before doing the campaign stuff? I have one jager and the rest are mediums. I can't imagine how long it would take me to build up those types of mechs and not be running the campaign.

40 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Yeah, I had the same problem earlier when and recovered the dropship.  I won but got decimated in the process and had to take a full 2 months off to repair all my mechs thus eliminating all the cash I had just collected.

Ignore the cash.  max the recovery option.  you get better weapons to use or sell what you get.  its better overall.  you get enough cash from the campaign missions

39 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

@Burk Well I've beaten it twice, but keep losing one of my mechwarriors. I have a strategy down, just need to run it until the game doesn't screw me over with head shots. And sweet jesus, how many missions did you play before doing the campaign stuff? I have one jager and the rest are mediums. I can't imagine how long it would take me to build up those types of mechs and not be running the campaign.

sounds like you are being too aggressive.  I completed the campaign with only losing 5-6 pilots.  ideally, you gang up your shots all on one mech till its dead.  you should be using precision strike to take out CT.  with all 4 mech concentrating fire you should burn through a ct in 1-2 turns.  dont move forward, let them come to you and stay in cover when you shoot.  if a torso blows, then rotate your mechs around to be on that side, it will blow the CT quicker then.

this particular one I can't sit back. I get target locked and then LRM turrets bring the rain. What I've been doing is making sure I blow ammo boxes when two mechs are in the blast area. Also, if I sit back, then I can't stop the transports. I may just see what I have for earlier saves and see if I can find a time when non-campaign jobs are still available to me and do a soft restart. But again, the game gave no direction or help with any of this and it pretty much sucks to have to reboot due to the game not helping out with difficulty management.

i know the one you are talking about.  the escaping vehicles are a disctraction. you can ignore them.  I wont that one with 2 assaults by sitting back on the upper starting area and letting the mechs come to me.  you are correct you have to sacrifice the front right ammo box to kill the LRM turrets....then just sit and kill mechs as they come to you.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:59 AM, Brick Bungalow said:

Does anyone know if you can use a game controller or is it mouse and keyboard only?

I think you can use one, but as Brother G said, it's not a twitchy game.  It's turn based like X-Com so you can literally walk away in the middle of a mission to clean up an overflowing toilet...not that I had to do that or anything....damn kids....

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2018 at 9:47 PM, Brother Glacius said:

I went back about 30 days, played every other mission I could and got a grasshopper. Retooled my other mechs to boost armor. Beat it with two heavies, a med, and a light. Got all objectives, no losses. Took me 8 tries in all? Grasshopper, jager, shadowhawk, and jenner.

Maybe the problem is you keep using the jager, which sucks. 

Yeppers.  Same here.  Although I still lean toward that HBK-4P which is a thing of beauty (and one I have carefully collected more than 1 of).  So much armor, so many M Lasers and so easy to repair if it does get into trouble.  Put a gunner in it and split fire if you are in a cool biome and it wrecks face.  Cooks lights without focusing fire.  Kills multiple generators a turn.  Beats down bigger mechs routinely.  Only thing it really fears is big ACs and PPCs.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

Yeppers.  Same here.  Although I still lean toward that HBK-4P which is a thing of beauty (and one I have carefully collected more than 1 of).  So much armor, so many M Lasers and so easy to repair if it does get into trouble.  Put a gunner in it and split fire if you are in a cool biome and it wrecks face.  Cooks lights without focusing fire.  Kills multiple generators a turn.  Beats down bigger mechs routinely.  Only thing it really fears is big ACs and PPCs.

Is someone throwing tissue paper at my atlas II or King Crab?

54 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Well, you want to give me either of those?  As BroG said, early in the campaign you only have so many options for Heavies and you have no Assaults.

where Bro G is at, I had 2 assaults.  like I said, you dont have to do the campaign missions right when they become available.  Build your mechs up with the standard missions first.

20 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

What day were you at? I'm at 240 or so.

I am not sure what day I was at.  I can say that you are about 2/3 of the way through the campaign and I finished the campaign around day 1200.  so if I guess I was probably about 500--800.  again,  no reason to rush to the campaign missions.  Play all the supporting missions to build up.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:04 PM, Burk said:

I am not sure what day I was at.  I can say that you are about 2/3 of the way through the campaign and I finished the campaign around day 1200.  so if I guess I was probably about 500--800.  again,  no reason to rush to the campaign missions.  Play all the supporting missions to build up.

Ok, Burk, I am confused.  You say you've played a long, slow campaign and explored a lot but you recommend ignoring money and grabbing salvage in missions.  If I really ignore money and grab salvage early on I go broke and quickly.  Do you routinely grab one mission per month to cover your expenses and then grab salvage?  Do you get rep up with a faction so you get better prices from them?  Did you do something early on to alter your money management to make this strategy work for you?

I'm happy to hear the feedback that you can push too hard and get into the end of the campaign in 300 days if you do.  Knowing that encourages me to explore more...  I just can't reconcile that with the other advice and so I want to get a feel for how you managed the cash to facilitate it.  I'm 270 days in.  I've gotten the Argo.  I'm friendly with my secret benefactor, liked by the Magistracy and indifferent with the others although I have done a little work with them. I've got 7 months of payroll saved up (mostly from the mission that got me the Argo) but have not done much travelling because flight time means paying payroll without collecting income.

1 hour ago, Duckman said:

Ok, Burk, I am confused.  You say you've played a long, slow campaign and explored a lot but you recommend ignoring money and grabbing salvage in missions.  If I really ignore money and grab salvage early on I go broke and quickly.  Do you routinely grab one mission per month to cover your expenses and then grab salvage?  Do you get rep up with a faction so you get better prices from them?  Did you do something early on to alter your money management to make this strategy work for you?

I'm happy to hear the feedback that you can push too hard and get into the end of the campaign in 300 days if you do.  Knowing that encourages me to explore more...  I just can't reconcile that with the other advice and so I want to get a feel for how you managed the cash to facilitate it.  I'm 270 days in.  I've gotten the Argo.  I'm friendly with my secret benefactor, liked by the Magistracy and indifferent with the others although I have done a little work with them. I've got 7 months of payroll saved up (mostly from the mission that got me the Argo) but have not done much travelling because flight time means paying payroll without collecting income.

ok.  so first.  reputation. I didnt try to manage it. I took any mission that was available before taking the campaign missions.  some liked me, some hated me...who cares, they all pay.

Re: salvage.  on normal missions (non campaign) I took full salvage...and sold most of it.  Only kept the ++ or +++ weapons or full mechs that moved me up.  Refited mechs with the better weapons. All smaller mechs and salvage I sold.  Each light mech is work 300+k, so that was my money intake.   Yes there were a few times I needed to take full cash to survive, but rarely.  get enough mechs and pilots to always go on a mission while others are healing/repairing.  In combat, a mech I wanted, I would focus fire on the legs or head, it gives you more mech parts so you get them quicker.  if you have 2/3rd of a mech, then take that last piece when salvaging to sell the full mech.  who cares if you need  the mech, you need the cash.

most of my Cash (non salvage) came from campaign missions.  they routinely pay 1M+ if you get all the secret objectives. 

Re game play.  Focus fire and use precision strikes to take out one mech a turn (or two).  This way you take minimal damage back and hence have your mechs available and dont have to wait/burn cash to go back out again.  

Game is about limiting your damage and grabbing mechs.....