Infinity War with Spoilers thread, NOW FEATURING: Goliath and Wasp

InfestedKerrigan

Nope, I don't think Strange did anything with time. He just saw the only way for Thanos to get defeated and did the actions he needed to in order to keep them on track. Also, I know Capt. Marvel will be in it, but she had a 50% chance of going away. I think we'll see Adam Warlock next Avengers and maybe even the Universe get involved due to the magnitude of what Thanos did.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Nope, I don't think Strange did anything with time. He just saw the only way for Thanos to get defeated and did the actions he needed to in order to keep them on track. Also, I know Capt. Marvel will be in it, but she had a 50% chance of going away. I think we'll see Adam Warlock next Avengers and maybe even the Universe get involved due to the magnitude of what Thanos did.

I don't think Strange did anything blatant with time, but I feel like he might have set up something subtle with it, like maybe somehow guaranteeing that Danvers wouldn't be one of the 50% to get vanished or something.

That also makes me wonder how fine tuned his algorithm for selecting half of the universal population is. Will it hit the planets that he already halved "manually"? Does it go on a system by system basis? Planet by planet? Finer scale? Is there any guarantee that it wouldn't wipe one planet out completely, and leave a neighboring one untouched? Or wipe out the continent that produces all the food on a planet, leaving the continent housing all the people dependent on that food still heavily populated? Or wipe out all the members of some species who know how to build/maintain/operate some sort of tech vital to their species's survival? Will it hit species who are already under the minimum viable population level, and/or whose populations are declining? What about planets that have managed to get their birth rates in balance and their resource distribution systems optimized to the point where everyone's doing OK, do they get halved as well? Does it only hit sentient species, or might it end up wiping out the livestock some group was depending on for their food?

The more I think about it, the worse Thanos's plan seems. Not morally, it was already abhorrent in that regard, but functionally. There are just so many better ways he could have gone about trying to solve the problem of overpopulation with all that power at his disposal.

• Thanks 1

Just saw it again last night, this time taking my 17yr old daughter who has grown up with the MCU. She was devastated by the end of the movie. She still won't talk about it with me. 🙂 I say job well done Marvel. 

There are still some thoughts though that bug me.

In Ragnarok, Hela knocks over a fake gauntlet. so that implies heavily that the Asgardians knew of the existence of the gauntlet already, which doesn't really gel with the whole "what? the dwarves made it for Thanos??" vibe you get in Infinity War.

Also not sure how Thanos survived just yet. He did have StormBreaker through his chest, and he didn't reverse time, he just portal'd away. All that after using the gauntlet to kill half the life in the universe (which seemed to have an adverse effect on him and the gauntlet. So near death, dying breath, huge expenditure of power, and yet still lives.

Also, makes you wonder how Thanos killed off half of the universe. Did he simply kill off half of each race? or was it just a blanked half of all life (did that include animal, insect, and plant or just sentient?)

4 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Also, makes you wonder how Thanos killed off half of the universe. Did he simply kill off half of each race? or was it just a blanked half of all life (did that include animal, insect, and plant or just sentient?)

See my post above. The more I think about that, the less sense it makes.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 12, 2018 at 4:19 PM, WestRider said:

The more I think about it, the worse Thanos's plan seems. Not morally, it was already abhorrent in that regard, but functionally. There are just so many better ways he could have gone about trying to solve the problem of overpopulation with all that power at his disposal.

But how many of those could be explained in as short and simple a way as he did? I agree, much better options, but when the villian's motives are a footnote in the film, I think that reasoning fit pretty well. 

I thought it was weird that the test for the infinity stone that gave itself only to those willing to do horrible things to their loved ones...seems like that one was designed for a villian from the get go. And it didn't really fit the test. I thought he should have to sacrifice his ambition, since that was clearly that which he loved the most. Giving up his secondary desire, his love for his daughter, didn't really seem that hard a sacrifice for him due to how driven he was toward's his primary love.

One of the things I really liked about Ant-Man and The Wasp is how Ghost is an antagonist (someone opposed to the protagonists, or who interferes with their goals), but not really a villain. The movie could also have been shot with her as the protagonist, and the main cast as antagonists, and worked just as well. I love stories like that.

Also, Ghost and Wasp had some awesome fight scenes together. Some really great uses of their respective powers.

Luis almost managing to beat the truth serum by just going off on semi-related tangents was hilarious. I liked how Rudd and Lilly copied his mannerisms in the flashbacks. Rudd also did a pretty good job of altering his body language later on to match Pfeiffer's.

It would sound cooler if they were messing around with the Quantum Zone instead of the Quantum Realm.

Finally, as with the first flick, Cassie is the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1