Sci-fi recommendations.

10 hours ago, generalripphook said:

Why is it a good system?

Like all things gaming related, and RPG related, what defines a good system to one nerd defines crap to another 🙂

I played savage worlds for a bit.  Ran a small Gamma World adventure, and played in some weird war games. Also a Fantasy game.  The mechanics are pretty easy.  Game play is fast.  Though I will say in the end it felt a bit "empty" to me.  Also, the exploding die mechanic as RAW can get pretty out of hand.  This was all a while back, so not sure if they have revamped the rules at all since then.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2018 at 8:21 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Rifts is what I was thinking of, not GURPS.

Played a few campaigns in HS using rifts. Was fun. Seemed a bit complicated at the time. Or convoluted. 

Rifts is great for settings. Terrible for rules. Rifts is easily as hard on the GM as GURPS just due to Rifts having no attempt at game balance between the classes and races. Rifts is best played while using the rules only as a reference point, and just role playing.

Savage Worlds has a Rifts spin-off, which I've heard good things about. Dumbed down rules and faster combat mechanics meet a rich setting that is Rifts. Sounds good, I'm just not into it anymore - I've become really lazy on these RPGs.

I still think 5e D&D is probably your best bet. Just refer to crossbows as Laser weapons, horses as jetbikes, and magic as psychic/alien powers. They just have a really solid rule set this time around.

• 2 weeks later...