Engineers

InfestedKerrigan

You can design anything you want in any field you want. That just comes down to your knowledge base and what you want to do. If you are asking, can you use your professional license on something outside of the scope of your license, the answer is no. My PE is in Power systems. I can only stamp drawings related to power systems. I can not stamp anything in the EE realm dealing with "electronics, controls, and communications", or "computer engineering" things. Every field has its own professional license. As far as ME goes, there are 3 different fields for PEs:

You can also hold different PE licenses if you want to put in the time (assuming you have your degree, 4 years under a PE) and pass the appropriate tests.  As far as an electrician goes, I believe that is an apprentice / journeyman trade and not engineering.

• Thanks 2

I'm HVAC Contractor. I recently learned I can't legally design heating or ventilation systems on anything but single family dwellings. This came as quite a shock, having been in the field most my life.  As such, I have decided it can be beneficial to pursue an Engineering degree so I can design systems.  I thought I saw on Oregon's page that EE could be substituted for the Journeymanship, but that was a number of years ago, and I may have been reading something about continuing ed.  

• Like 1

I went to WSU! GO COUGS! But they have the better power based EE track of the two WA colleges. I work in the utility world so a BS is all that is needed. A master's degree does little for you. The PE is where it's at. The PE allows you to have your own practice and be able to stamp drawings. I have friends who are ME and have their masters and no PE and work for Boeing. So it depends on your field as to what would be better.

• Thanks 2