Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jay

AoS 2nd Edition

Recommended Posts

Warhammer Fest Live Blog

 

WHFest2018LiveBlog-Share2mxq.jpg

Sat 9:00am –  Live Blog 2: The Gates are Open…


Warhammer Fest has begun – and we’re coming out of the gate swinging with a pretty massive announcement!

Since January, fans have been wondering just what Malign Portents is leading up to. The growing darkness emanating from Shyish certainly heralds change, but what?

The time has come for all to be revealed…

WHfestLiveBlog-NewAoSBanner3jevbnfds.jpg

That’s right – there’s a new edition on the way for Warhammer Age of Sigmar, and it’s coming very soon. We’ll have more details on just what this means for you after the Studio Preview later this morning – in the meantime, you guys like cool models, right?

WHfestLiveBlog-Post1-StormcastHammer1cd-
WHfestLiveBlog-Post1-Nighthaunt2ef-500x4


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wonder who these guys are? (We think it’s safe to say they’re not pals.) Make sure to come back soon for further news…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

AoSStartHere-May12-Header4hv.jpg

The new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar is great, building upon and refining everything that’s gone before. It presents a detailed setting of war and horror and an unparalleled fantasy wargaming experience. However you play, whatever army you field, and whether you’re a veteran of the Realmgate Wars or just looking to make your first steps in the Mortal Realms, you’ve got a lot to look forward to.

AoSStartHere-May12-Art5ck.jpg


And you won’t have to wait long.

The new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar will be here in June.

Armed with new rules, background and miniatures, you’ll be playing more exciting games and forging deeper narratives than ever before.

AoSStartHere-May12-Subheaders20rc.jpg

Since the early days of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, we’ve seen the Mortal Realms develop from a limitless backdrop to your battles into a richly realised setting in its own right, and the new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar takes this to the next level – you’ll find everything from the history of each realm to maps that plot out some of their better-known regions. Yes, maps. By popular request, there are maps. Lots and lots of maps.

AoSStartHere-May12-Map5wv.jpg


The pages of the edition are packed with exciting new lore designed to bring the dark, grittiness of the Age of Sigmar to life. Wondering what’s happened to Slaanesh, or what the old aelven gods are up to? Ever wondered what life was like in the Realm of Beasts during the Age of Myth? It’s all in there – your copy of the Core Book isn’t just a primer to the game but to a living, breathing fantasy world. One that’s very fabric your battles will affect!

AoSStartHere-May12-Subheaders21kt.jpg

AoSStartHere-May12-Image8wg.jpg


The new edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar features the most comprehensive look at the core rules since the first Generals Handbook, and like those changes, the new ones will have an equally huge impact on the tabletop. The Studio team have gone through every phase of the game looking at how we can make the game faster, cleaner and more fun to play. They’ve worked with a large group of community playtesters and taken on board all the feedback from you folks out there in the wider Warhammer community. They’ve done a great job creating what we think is the tightest ruleset Warhammer Age of Sigmar has ever had, cementing it as the fantasy miniatures game.

We’ll be previewing all the changes, and what they mean for you, right here on Warhammer Community in time, but for now, we think it’s safe to say that you’ll like what’s in store – from an expanded hero phase and the addition of a new command points system to a more strategic double turn.

AoSStartHere-May12-Image9ev.jpg


How you want to play Warhammer Age of Sigmar is up to you in the new edition, and the possibilities are greater than ever before. Want to write epic narrative campaigns that span the Mortal Realms? You’ll find everything you need to help you do just that. Looking to have a relaxing evening of fun with some friends? You’ll be able to keep every game fresh with a huge array of open play rules, from the cunning ruses of Triumph & Treachery to epic multiplayer clashes. Prefer the more balanced aspect of matched play? Warhammer Age of Sigmar has the best competitive rules for the game so far, written in conjunction with organisers and champions from the global tournament scene.

We’ll be guiding you through every single change in the new edition with new content every single day until you’ve got it in your hands (and, come to mention it, we’ve got loads more content planned after that too).

From Faction Focuses on what the updates mean for the army you play, to in-depth analysis of the core rules changes, keeping up-to-date with Warhammer Community will ensure you’re well-prepared for this new age of war.

In fact, you can go and read the first of many informative articles right now – it’s a concise traveller’s handbook to the Mortal Realms that’s ideal for those new to the lore, and a great refresher for veterans, too.

We’re sure you’re full of questions, but worry not – we’ve got answers:

AoSStartHere-May12-QA13bq.jpg

The post New Edition of Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Your Essential Guide appeared first on Warhammer Community.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a new player, but I think the no shooting out of combat is probably a logical choice. The small amount of info given on the new magic sounds way cooler. I'm hoping there are bad consequences more than failure to cast. If someone could give me a rundown on command points, that'd be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, tsewell12 said:

I'm a new player, but I think the no shooting out of combat is probably a logical choice. The small amount of info given on the new magic sounds way cooler. I'm hoping there are bad consequences more than failure to cast. If someone could give me a rundown on command points, that'd be cool.

 Welcome to the game:)
 

 Not much is known about the upcomming "command point" system other than it should be similar to what 40k has in that each faction will likely get a point allotment along with some specific abilities to spend the points on.Im guessing somewere between what 40k has and what was introduced with the Malign Portents game suppliment.We have had a good time playing with the Portent cards so this will make a very welcome addition to the base game.

  Just knowing now that shooting out of combat will not be allowed tells me that there will likely be some rather substantial changes to the base game mechanics,,though its also quite possible that the ability/points system will be the new mechanic to offset the effects of this.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been following closely on Warhammer Community all of the changes coming to AoS 2.0 and yes it is going to be slightly more complicated but no where near the levels of 40k. Also all of the warscroll changes, point changes (via scrollbuilder) and core rule changes will be free. Worse case it looks like you might have to buy the new Generals Handbook. I personally can't wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, deadwing34 said:

I have been following closely on Warhammer Community all of the changes coming to AoS 2.0 and yes it is going to be slightly more complicated but no where near the levels of 40k. Also all of the warscroll changes, point changes (via scrollbuilder) and core rule changes will be free. Worse case it looks like you might have to buy the new Generals Handbook. I personally can't wait.

Are they keeping or removing legacy armies? I noticed that it isn't covered in their FAQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legacy armies are continuing their slide into obscurity...with all the added features of the new armies as well as those that have a few pages of update in the recent GH,there is no real reason to play the old armies in AoS.I would say at this point,players hoping that the old world armies will at some point be getting some love,they should move on..or of course there's TW2 which ,for me and my son,is a great fix for that old world warhammer desire.

 

  AoS is forging ahead with what's looking like a solid second edition release,I know our group at Geeks and Games in OC is stoked for it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Threejacks said:

Legacy armies are continuing their slide into obscurity...with all the added features of the new armies as well as those that have a few pages of update in the recent GH,there is no real reason to play the old armies in AoS.I would say at this point,players hoping that the old world armies will at some point be getting some love,they should move on..or of course there's TW2 which ,for me and my son,is a great fix for that old world warhammer desire.

 

  AoS is forging ahead with what's looking like a solid second edition release,I know our group at Geeks and Games in OC is stoked for it!

 

 

For some armies, yes, for others no. Order and Chaos don't really need the legacy armies, but Death really does benefit from the TK, if only for their ranged units of which death has zero options. Goblins have most of their support units in legacy, making the goblin faction rather hard to run without legacy. But really, GW needs to decide of they want to keep Destruction and Death, given how few battletomes (and models) they are giving those factions without legacy. Order vs chaos would be fine by me, and have the existing destruction/death become either part of those, or merc factions. But sure, from a rules stance, they could drop legacy without issue.

I'm really just not a fan of GW dropping support for old models on principle, as it's one of hallmarks of what makes this hobby different from other games is that I can expect to be able to use my over priced models in the next few editions. Makes putting the extra effort into your hobby worth it, if you know that your model will be appreciate-able for more than just a few years.

Dropping support for models that are out of date is a gateway for GW to drop support for recent purchases. It's not really that much of a leap from dropping poorly selling dated models to dropping poorly selling current models. Or just dropping support for models that they don't project any more sales, even if they recently sold a ton and flooded the market.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

For some armies, yes, for others no. Order and Chaos don't really need the legacy armies, but Death really does benefit from the TK, if only for their ranged units of which death has zero options. Goblins have most of their support units in legacy, making the goblin faction rather hard to run without legacy. But really, GW needs to decide of they want to keep Destruction and Death, given how few battletomes (and models) they are giving those factions without legacy. Order vs chaos would be fine by me, and have the existing destruction/death become either part of those, or merc factions. But sure, from a rules stance, they could drop legacy without issue.

I'm really just not a fan of GW dropping support for old models on principle, as it's one of hallmarks of what makes this hobby different from other games is that I can expect to be able to use my over priced models in the next few editions. Makes putting the extra effort into your hobby worth it, if you know that your model will be appreciate-able for more than just a few years.

Dropping support for models that are out of date is a gateway for GW to drop support for recent purchases. It's not really that much of a leap from dropping poorly selling dated models to dropping poorly selling current models. Or just dropping support for models that they don't project any more sales, even if they recently sold a ton and flooded the market.

 

  Death has massive options now with the latest Legions of Nagash release,,they dont need shooting .Mixed Destructions is still quite viable as well,,what would be nice for them is to have some spell lores though.The legacy warscrolls that didnt become part of a new army are rarely seen anymore,pretty much all the legacy units that were not incorporated into the new AoS factions are considered sub par in most every way now.There are players on facebook that have been working on long term projects though,,like a updated Tomb King Battletome and such,,its actually very cool work too as he incorporated the TK fluff into the mortal realms with some fantastic artwork usage and his models look awesome..so theres still that aspect but its fully hobby only and not geared toward the competative side of gaming.

  I believe most all of the legacy Destruction line has been fully incorporated into the AoS Destruction armies now not sure what you mean about Goblins having most of their support units in legacy...

 

  Dropping models lines while bringing in new ones is all part of business,,especially when you are probably the biggest toy soldier company in the world.Alot of the older line models were dropped for reasons not directly related to effectiveness on the table.. like they were too spindly and broke easily,much harder to paint and or too many components and thus mold sections or not enough pieces for a good looking final sculpt.I know that the new models are much more hardy when it comes peices breaking off,though the Sylvaneth are at least one faction were this is still an issue.For the most part though,even the new 40k stuff is much more hardy from what ive seen,,I welcome this approach.

 Ive been selling off my legacy models as they become obsolete,and most recently let my complete metal(unbuilt) Black Coach kit go for a smooth 65.00,,twice what I payed for it years back.Unbuilt in wrap Necrosphinx went for over 100.00..I think im down to just skeleton archers now,,probably let those go soon as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Threejacks said:

  Death has massive options now with the latest Legions of Nagash release,,they dont need shooting .Mixed Destructions is still quite viable as well,,what would be nice for them is to have some spell lores though.The legacy warscrolls that didnt become part of a new army are rarely seen anymore,pretty much all the legacy units that were not incorporated into the new AoS factions are considered sub par in most every way now.There are players on facebook that have been working on long term projects though,,like a updated Tomb King Battletome and such,,its actually very cool work too as he incorporated the TK fluff into the mortal realms with some fantastic artwork usage and his models look awesome..so theres still that aspect but its fully hobby only and not geared toward the competative side of gaming.

  I believe most all of the legacy Destruction line has been fully incorporated into the AoS Destruction armies now not sure what you mean about Goblins having most of their support units in legacy...

 

  Dropping models lines while bringing in new ones is all part of business,,especially when you are probably the biggest toy soldier company in the world.Alot of the older line models were dropped for reasons not directly related to effectiveness on the table.. like they were too spindly and broke easily,much harder to paint and or too many components and thus mold sections or not enough pieces for a good looking final sculpt.I know that the new models are much more hardy when it comes peices breaking off,though the Sylvaneth are at least one faction were this is still an issue.For the most part though,even the new 40k stuff is much more hardy from what ive seen,,I welcome this approach.

 Ive been selling off my legacy models as they become obsolete,and most recently let my complete metal(unbuilt) Black Coach kit go for a smooth 65.00,,twice what I payed for it years back.Unbuilt in wrap Necrosphinx went for over 100.00..I think im down to just skeleton archers now,,probably let those go soon as well.

Need and want are different. As an undead player, if I want to field undead archers (or another ranged equivalent) I can't without legacy armies. And there's no fluffy explanation there. Sure, my undead probably don't "need" archers, but most of the alliances don't need most of their forces. Order would be fine with just stormcast...

Not sure on the goblin thing, might be wrong there. I recall units that improve their leadership/bravery to be legacy in the present books (like battle standard bearers). Though I haven't really seen any pure goblin armies in this edition, probably because their rules are very iffy.

Dropping model lines isn't really something GW does that much. One of the strong points is that I can take my 1989 space marine models and field them as space marines. Yes, they have dropped some stuff, but most of the stuff from 1985 is still field-able, maybe with minor conversion, in your 2018 40k or AoS army. Maybe that isn't an appreciated quality anymore, but it is quite an impressive accomplishment and is a feat rarely duplicated in other games.

You sold your Black Coach for more than you got it for BECAUSE gw hadn't dropped support for the models. Expect your models to decrease in value if GW drops support for them. Even a half-arse support, like those legacy armies, will keep the prices up. It's the difference between a GW model and a more generic model, like a reaper model. I like reaper models, but they are usually cheaper because they aren't official and current models for a game system, like 40k. That old black coach, just as a model, is worth maybe $20 new as a model kit (build your own creepy cart kit...), but because it's a piece for a game, you sold it for $65.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with GW dropping support for old armies and models they no longer produce anymore. Its nice that they are giving players an option to play with those old "out of print" models with the Narrative only option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up here in Bellingham we are ringing in the new edition with a slow grow league. And there has been a lot of positive response! So far we have 19 people signed up so far, and I'm pretty sure more people or going to join as soon as the new boxed set drops.

I know I'm pretty stoked for the new edition. I always enjoyed AoS, but I always had a hard time finding games in Portland. I'm looking forward to starting Beastclaw Raiders and tossing some dice. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×