GW is going to put out YA books?

Dreg

Reminds me of cartoons about cigarettes. Looks like plastic crack is being aimed at a younger group.

Been wondering, are their 40k support groups yet? Like for people trying to quit...

I've got a 1 year old at home, and I think this is great; A universe / lore that I enjoy, that I can read to / with him. 

The amount of hate that this is generating online is staggering though. Apparently making the "grimdark" accessible to kids is the first step in watering down the lore to make it all child friendly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I've got a 1 year old at home, and I think this is great; A universe / lore that I enjoy, that I can read to / with him. 

The amount of hate that this is generating online is staggering though. Apparently making the "grimdark" accessible to kids is the first step in watering down the lore to make it all child friendly.

When I was looking up the authors, the only negative reviews of their YA Star Wars series was from "fans" who seemed to have trouble accepting that not all material is going to be targeted directly at them. This feels pretty much the same.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

My wife and I have been talking about this a lot and I'm probably going to drive this into RoC, but...

I think the hate for this is the same as any 'representational' issue in geekery. In general/the majority of the people who play 40k are youngish, white males. These are the same folks who feel like their spaces are being invaded by women ("fake geek girls", gamergate, etc), people of color, ( "X character wasn't X color in the comic!") and LGBT folks ("how many genders are there?") etc so for them this is just another invasion of their space by another group that is not like them.

Another way to put it is that geeks learned to exclude from the world around them that excluded them. They have learned, at some level, that in order to have a valid group/scene/hobby, you have to exclude someone. After all, sportsball/popular kids/whatever, defined themselves by exclusion, right?

• Like 4