MCU musing - possible spoilers inside

Brother Glacius

What is up with the whole 9 realms vs the universe thing? The first two Thor movies really made it seem like the 9 realms were near separate dimensions. At least that is how I took it. I mean Asgard was just a floaty island. But apparently everywhere could have been gotten to via spaceship. Just a matter of time and speed. So if that is the case, then why weren't the Asgardians ever concerned about Thanos? I mean a dude that goes around for 20+ years killing off half a planet's population each time has gotta draw attention somehow. No one ever thought, "hey, lets stop this guy".

I was also kind of confused during Infinity War...are there any Asgardians left? Or is Thor the last one? Because Ragnarok wiped out the realm, the people that were saved were on the ship, and then the ship went kablooie. Yet I also remember a line somewhere in the film where someone says half the Asgardians were killed by Thanos...meaning that half were spared, but if so, where are they?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

I was also kind of confused during Infinity War...are there any Asgardians left? Or is Thor the last one? Because Ragnarok wiped out the realm, the people that were saved were on the ship, and then the ship went kablooie. Yet I also remember a line somewhere in the film where someone says half the Asgardians were killed by Thanos...meaning that half were spared, but if so, where are they?

Yeah, that confused me, too. Because after he left with the Space Stone, it sure didn't look like he only blew up half of their ship, and there certainly weren't any other Asgardians around when the Guardians showed up and rescued Thor.

• Like 1

Actually, there were lots of Asgardians around Thor, they were all just dead and floating in space. 🙂 Also, the whole "9 realms" = 9 planets is really super lame. That was it, that is the whole "world tree" yaggabaggasomethingdrisill? Use the one infinity stone when portals open between them and the whole universe dies (Thor Dark World)? That's all they end up being? Don't buy it. I love how Marvel just sort of doesn't care how space and atmosphere works sometimes. You could kind of get away with how Asgard was special, so its fine that its just a big floaty island....but Nowhere? inside the skull there's air, outside, not so much...or the weapons place? Thor went from right outside of a dying star (breathing), flown across open space, and then right inside the ring again  where Rocket flew his ship from space right to, hopped out and was breathing okay.

Just pointing out the physics flexibility that Marvel has. I don't actually mind it all. I just find it funny that they don't even bother trying to explain it. Comic Books!

• Thanks 1

9 planets, but it's not any 9. It's 9 habitable worlds which are inhabited by distinct peoples. That's an accomplishment. And a method of linking them for immediate travel is also quite impressive.