Stripping Paint from FW Models

Kaoshin

Hey, Folks!  I am going to try and do some converting this year for OFCC.  Me?  Converting?!  I know!!!  As a part of this process I'm looking at needing to strip paint off of some forgeworld broadsides.  This is very new territory for me and I'd really appreciate some words of wisdom on how to go about doing that so I don't damage/dissolve the resin models while stripping them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kaoshin said:

Thanks!  How long did you soak them?

Kinda an art more than a science. You soak them in undiluted simple green until the paint looks like you could peel it off. Then you use a tooth brush and "brush" off the paint (destroys the toothbrush). Doesn't always work the first time, or even the second time. Eventually you'll deside it's "good enough" and that will be the end. 

Simple green doesn't risk damaging the models, but being too forceful with the toothbrush can damage them. And it won't make them perfect. Depending on your paints and the shape of the model, you might not be able get all the paint off (corners and cracks). I will also note that simple green may break the bond for your glue, which doesn't damage the model, but it means you may need to assemble it again. 

I will note that certain glues interact with paint stripper in odd ways. If the glue loosens with the paint stripper, make sure you clean it all off because it will dry in a new shape and that shape might not be a better spot for the glue.

If the Simple Green doesn't work, Brake Fluid works and so does "Easy Off Oven Cleaner", though both of those are super toxic and may damage other things (like your countertops or models left soaking in them for too long). Lately, I use brake fluid just because it's really cheap and I can get it inexpensively at my local grocery store (which is 24hours). Simple Green is much more expensive than it used to be.

The keeper was in the undiluted green for a few days.  I gave it a good scrub, then put it back in.  In an attempt to scrub off most of the new gw black primer.  I couldn't get it all off.  End result is you would had never known I stripped the model.   I find if I don't get it all off to what I want in one go.  Just like Paxmiles.  I will do a few baths.  Usually leave in for 48 hours.  It does loosen up the glue.  Note plastic glue still will be welded to whatever you used it on though.  I can post a picture of the keeper if you like.  To see what I mean about you will never really know it was painted once then stripped.  Only thing that might been noticeable was the cloth arm and leg parts.  As that is the only surface I couldn't get quite back to resin.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kaoshin said:

Awesome.  Thanks for the words of wisdom 🙂 Will have to go by my local wallyworld and see if I can track some uncomplicated blue-plus-yellow down.

Costco sells it.

• 2 weeks later...