Beating a dead horse, Ordo folks playing Malifaux.

Fixxer

Sad I can pull more of you guys into this fantastic and competitive scene.

I just filled out my Henchman paperwork for Portland Game Store and hope to be approved by next week. We will be running tournaments or other events monthly/bi-monthly. The community is steadily growing here but I always like to see new people joining the game and getting prepped for competitive play. I'd be happy to provide models for any demo games and am typically available at The Portland Game store on Tuesday nights for Malifaux.

Also have a tentatively planned tournament for July 14th. I will confirm once that one is set in stone with PGS, something to consider. Also a lot of tournaments happening up north in Lakewood/Tacoma/Bellevue if people are interested in short road trips. 

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. Thank you.

-Matt. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I've been waiting for 3e to drop. It finally did.

Got the rules recently, just trying to pick a crew.

Though I don't think I'd go as far as PGS to play. Still, more ordo players is better.

On 7/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, paxmiles said:

I've been waiting for 3e to drop. It finally did.

Got the rules recently, just trying to pick a crew.

Though I don't think I'd go as far as PGS to play. Still, more ordo players is better.

Thats great news Pax, welcome to the fold. 

Well, we have a discord and definitely try to play at peoples houses often. Its a game that doesnt require a full 6'x4' so its a bit easier to manage. We have a decently sized group all around the PDX area so there is no lack of players, just here in the Ordo community for some weird reason. 😝

1 hour ago, Fixxer said:

Well, we have a discord and definitely try to play at peoples houses often. Its a game that doesnt require a full 6'x4' so its a bit easier to manage. We have a decently sized group all around the PDX area so there is no lack of players, just here in the Ordo community for some weird reason. 😝

The delay between announcing 2e is being replaced and 3e seemed rather excessive. I wasn't in the play-test group, so it was like Wyrd was telling me (and others) not to get into the hobby.

And then these ordo boards are typically rules debates, but since malifaux has a tightly knit game, it doesn't really get that sort of traffic. And the game is really simple. And the malifaux community seems to discourage 3rd party conversions/models, so the art in malifaux's online models is pretty lacking. Mono-pose is very limiting. The scale of the models doesn't help. I guess my point is that there's really not much to talk about with Malifaux. Aside from a "new releases thread" and a "find opponent" thread, there's just not much to talk about. Even the 3e annoucement was easily summarized in a thread or two.

I can create my own short thread with pictures, but my pictures of my models won't look that different from your pictures of your models made with the same model kit.

And if I post on discord, then there's no need to post here.

Dunno, might be overly negative today. Maybe I need to eat something. Hmmm...thought I ate today...

Thank you for the welcome.

2 hours ago, paxmiles said:

....And the game is really simple. .... I guess my point is that there's really not much to talk about with Malifaux. Aside from a "new releases thread" and a "find opponent" thread, there's just not much to talk about. 

“You know nothing Jon Snow”

45 minutes ago, Fixxer said:

“You know nothing Jon Snow”

Well, you could start creating lots of threads explaining all the many things regarding malifaux that are worth talking about. And that would both prove me wrong and create a bunch of good things for Ordo.

Or you could disagree, and yet, still, not really have much to talk about regarding Malifaux on Ordo. Which doesn't really prove me right or wrong, but Ordo doesn't gain and that's too bad.

As for the game being simple, it is a simple game. It's about as complex as MTG or the Pokemon TCG. Those are simple games in my book. Each Malifaux model has about the complexity of 3-6 cards. And a 50ss is about 60 cards worth of rules.

Granted, understanding a game and calling it simple isn't the same thing as suggesting I'm good at it. I can fail at simple tasks.

And simple isn't bad, it just notes that something is easily understandable.

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

Well, you could start creating lots of threads explaining all the many things regarding malifaux that are worth talking about. And that would both prove me wrong and create a bunch of good things for Ordo.

Wyrd's forum does a great job of this. I simply relay to the ordo community where and when game days are to see if anyone wants to come out and play the game. Im not much for starting conversations in forums that obviously have little interest. The way I think to best start conversations is to get people playing. Then, they should start asking questions, sharing experiences, and showing off their crews if they happen to like the game. Gotta play it first though, I definitely let this group know when and where they can do this. 

13 hours ago, paxmiles said:

As for the game being simple, it is a simple game. It's about as complex as MTG or the Pokemon TCG. Those are simple games in my book. Each Malifaux model has about the complexity of 3-6 cards. And a 50ss is about 60 cards worth of rules.

Granted, understanding a game and calling it simple isn't the same thing as suggesting I'm good at it. I can fail at simple tasks.

And simple isn't bad, it just notes that something is easily understandable.

I really cannot understand how you think the game is "simple". Its one of the most complex and deep games I've ever played in terms of skill determining victory. This game requires a level of understanding beyond the games rules... you have to understand people and their intentions, motivations, and strategies to be consistent. Its essentially a martial art of reading people... like poker. Hence the card mechanic and emotional/tactical deception built into the game via Schemes and how your construct crews for each scenario. Opinions are alright to have, but when you're wrong its gotta be addressed so that others dont get the wrong impression. I simply need to challenge you on your assertion. 

🙂 No offense.

I suggest you test this by playing someone who is newer to the game, like yourself, and then playing a veteran who understands the game and their crew on a deep level, there will be a drastic difference in your experience. This game is one that skill is gained through actually playing it, theoryfaux cant hold weight given the myriad of variables that will arise, you'll have to constantly improvise on top of your constructed tactical approach. If thats a simple task Im not living on earth. 

Again, not to say that other games dont have this, I just havent found a game that values and awards skill quite like Malifaux does. 

5 hours ago, Fixxer said:

I really cannot understand how you think the game is "simple". Its one of the most complex and deep games I've ever played in terms of skill determining victory. This game requires a level of understanding beyond the games rules... you have to understand people and their intentions, motivations, and strategies to be consistent. Its essentially a martial art of reading people... like poker.

I guess if you consider poker to be complex, then this game would also be complex.

Simple means easy to understand. I'd consider poker to be a simple game, but you are welcome to think otherwise. Wasn't the point of the 3e beta testing to make the game simple so new people would enjoy the game? Simple is usually more fun, so I don't really see why you'd treat it as an insult. Simple is efficient. Chess is a really simple game.

For an example of a complex game, 40k, back when they were poorly writing their rules (more so). Badly written rules that result in debates is not efficient or good, but it is complex. Complexity in games is usually a bad thing. It means that players don't entirely understand the game. Malifaux being simple is good. It means the 3e beta testing was worthwhile. It means that I can focus on strategy rather than dodging rules debates.

As for the psychological component of other players, that's not really part of the game mechanics - that's just any social interaction where you actually engage the other person. I also enjoy the social aspect of games. But I socialize often, and not just in games. You don't need a game format to reach that level of socialization.

For example, I've been bald on the MAX. Not always, but sometimes I run into people that don't think white people are "allowed" to be bald without being racist, and they see themselves as good guys if they are hateful towards racists. It creates an interesting conversation because they want to be the good guys, so they'll try to get me to admit being racist without directly accusing me - if they accuse me, then it establishes their racial profiling of me, making them the racist. Meanwhile, I focus on diffusing the situation, and, ideally, making them realize the fallacy of their racism. The goal, of course, is to depart as friends, but it's still a win if we just don't depart as enemies.

Ah. Had to look it up. Socially, simple's opposite is complex. Looks like there's another one where social use differs from dictionary use. I've been using "simple" right, but "complex" I have not.

Sorry if my misunderstanding confused you.