How long does it take your army to kill 2 squads of 20 Necron Warriors?

Had a lively discussion about toughness of lists and what is appropriate at OFCC, thus my desire to poll the community.

What army do you play?

How long would it take you to kill 2 units of 20 Necron Warriors?

Assume most of your army is in range of the squads and the warriors do not get cover. Assume that 1/3 of the models you killed the first round, will renanimate the second round.

• Haha 1

2 units of T4, 20 wounds, 4+ saves? Then a 5+ FNP, but only if I fail to kill the entire unit during my turn? Just double checking based on info from Battlescribe.

So for basic bolters on basic marines, if I have 30 shots, 20 hit, 10 wound, 5 die. So I'd need 120 bolters (60 in rapid range) to destroy each squad of 20. Or 30 models with combi-bolters/storm bolters in Rapid range.

Could be done turn 1, easily, but it really depends how many bolters are sacrificed for fancy weapons like lascannons or more spendy unit profiles. And starting in range for everything is unlikely for most lists.

If 1/3 reanimates regardless of how many I kill, Then I kill all turn 1, leaving 13 alive at the start of turn 2. Those all die turn 2, and you get 4 back on turn 3, which all die turn 3, and you have 1 left turn 4. They should stay dead by turn 5.

I'm not in the OFCC, just giving basic mathhammer on the issue.

I do think the example isn't really very definitive to determine what is a "tough list" based only on killing troops quickly while magically starting in perfect shooting conditions.

43 minutes ago, DisruptiveConduct said:

Had a lively discussion about toughness of lists and what is appropriate at OFCC, thus my desire to poll the community.

What army do you play?

How long would it take you to kill 2 units of 20 Necron Warriors?

Assume most of your army is in range of the squads and the warriors do not get cover. Assume that 1/3 of the models you killed the first round, will renanimate the second round.

Probably two turns. If you have your entire army to focus on it, you focus down one on each turn.

@Pax: He's giving you easy numbers for reanimation prot, not changing the rules. Read between the lines and don't derail the thread.

• Like 1

With my Ultramarines army that I'm planning on bringing (see my army list in the Kill! Maim! Beer! team thread), I could probably wipe out a squad of 20 warriors in one round of shooting if I am in flamer range with two tactical squads and my land speeders as well as using the whirlwind to clean up. In less than ideal circumstances, it would probably take me two turns.

I think a unit of 20 warriors isn't too tough for OFCC, as most armies should be able to whittle it down in 1-2 turns with enough firepower/assaults.

• Like 1

My Militarum Tempestus unit can do about 8 wounds at -2 and 3 wounds @ -3 all abilities and bonus's considered.  Soooo optimistically, one squad does 10 unsaved wounds in a round (slightly less but close, call it 9 if you like)

So I should be able to drop an entire 20 Warrior squad with 2.5 squads for certain( and they can splitfire).  That means I can kill both 20 man squads in one round using my Scions with firepower to spare.

• Like 1

Emperor's Children/Slaanesh Daemons/Renegade Knight. I should be able to take out one Unit of 20 in a single turn with all my firepower plus a Charge from either my Seekers, or two Units in some combination of Daemonettes, the Knight, and Characters (7 Units total in those three categories). Probably two Turns to finish a Unit with just shooting. Hard to calculate accurately, tho, since I've got a fair number of guns with random numbers of shots.

• Thanks 1

I was going to bring Custodes/Marines/Guard. 9 total Custodes bikes at 12" with hurricane bolters, 10 total hellblasters over charging, 4 multi-melta devs kill 27ish turn one.

Turn two, meltas are dead, but hellblasters in cover, bikes being immortal, after bike charge, the total is closer to 70+ dead warriors.

But no team, so I'm just pretending I'm going and painting the army instead.

*Edit* I thought warriors had a 3+ save not a 4+. So it probably closer to 90.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, andozane said:

No team? If you are wanting to go, there are generally always slots for ringers to fill in...

It's a long drive, so I wouldn't want to go without a for sure spot. Also I don't know if I'm exactly "Spirit of OFCC" other than in sportmanship.

Also are we considering leadership in this!? 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

It's a long drive, so I wouldn't want to go without a for sure spot. Also I don't know if I'm exactly "Spirit of OFCC" other than in sportmanship.

Also are we considering leadership in this!? 

Getting you on a 40K OFCC team will be easy if you are looking to play.

Please add a post to the following thread: 

I doubt it would take more than a week or two to get you lock into a new or existing team.

Sounds like you would be a perfect fit for OFCC....you are sportsmanship focused AND and you are painting your army?!? I can't ask for more. 🙂 

• Like 1

My OFCC Eldar army for this year could kill 40 Necron Warriors in one turn with shooting if my entire army is in range, I had Doom cast on one unit of Warriors, Guide cast on my unit of 20 Guardians, and I had average rolling.

The chances of getting 50 models within 12" range are slim so I dont think my army is a good example lol. Guardians are surprisingly good at short range.

• Thanks 1

I'll add to Disruptiveconduct's point. He's missing the 5++ invul save they're given from chrono, a 4+ reanimation given by cryptek, auto pass morale checks from warlord trait, and if burning 2 command points 1 unit can re-roll failed reanimation that turn. So it's more like a 4+/5++ with 4+FNP(next turn) and can't lose models to morale.

The question is really, could you wipe a 20 man squad of 4+/5++ warriors in a turn (assault included). So far they've proven hearty and really LUCKY re-rollable reanimations. Also, should it really take that much shooting/assault to drop a 240 point squad?

We're considering weakening it, but maybe it was just the matchups (necrons/necron & necron/genestealer cult). A guard list i played had little issue wiping both squads, likely tau could too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evil_bryan said:

Getting you on a 40K OFCC team will be easy if you are looking to play.

Please add a post to the following thread: 

I doubt it would take more than a week or two to get you lock into a new or existing team.

Sounds like you would be a perfect fit for OFCC....you are sportsmanship focused AND and you are painting your army?!? I can't ask for more. 🙂 

I'd talked about running a RV team, but my move to Bend and getting contractors license has my summer flipped upside down. 

Spork is worried the event is too casual for him. He doesn't want to throw down money, show up, be called a cheating power playing ass muncher, get uninvited, and ultimately waste his time and other people's. 

But his casual meta is made up of talented players, and they routinely run what they consider fun lists. What they consider fun, and what LH consider fun are very different.

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the potus, but perhaps Spork is worried he'd walk all over anyone present. Lol

14 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I'd talked about running a RV team, but my move to Bend and getting contractors license has my summer flipped upside down. 

Spork is worried the event is too casual for him. He doesn't want to throw down money, show up, be called a cheating power playing ass muncher, get uninvited, and ultimately waste his time and other people's. 

But his casual meta is made up of talented players, and they routinely run what they consider fun lists. What they consider fun, and what LH consider fun are very different.

Maybe I'm putting the cart before the potus, but perhaps Spork is worried he'd walk all over anyone present. Lol

Kinda? I more responded cause I wondered how many warriors I could kill. Which was more than I thought.

Since the question has been asked, how many turns is acceptable to kill 40 warriors? 2? 3?

It's not really fair exactly...  I wouldn't normally target warriors with anything but bikes cause that's what they are supposed to shoot. I wouldn't really target warriors with hellblasters or meltas. Necrons have a bunch of vechicles that I would rather shoot. Even then, my meltas wouldn't be good against necron vehicles.

Thanks all for the input! Still play testing, but does sound like it's not overkill, maybe i pull a punch by not re-rolling or something if it gets too one sided. 

10 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

Kinda? I more responded cause I wondered how many warriors I could kill. Which was more than I thought.

Since the question has been asked, how many turns is acceptable to kill 40 warriors? 2? 3?

It's not really fair exactly...  I wouldn't normally target warriors with anything but bikes cause that's what they are supposed to shoot. I wouldn't really target warriors with hellblasters or meltas. Necrons have a bunch of vechicles that I would rather shoot. Even then, my meltas wouldn't be good against necron vehicles.

As for Spork playing in OFCC, it's all about getting in 5 fun games. If you want to play OFCC, 'fun' is what it's about. Lists are definitely higher strength than in the past now, so don't fear that too much (this is why teams have matchmaking captains). The reality is just consider, am I bringing a grand tournament leafblower list to crush everything, or will my opponent have fun? The balance is more towards having fun, but closer to the middle imo. If you're not talking, focusing so hard on the game,  and the opponent is bored, something is wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dark Trainer said:

Thanks all for the input! Still play testing, but does sound like it's not overkill, maybe i pull a punch by not re-rolling or something if it gets too one sided. 

As for Spork playing in OFCC, it's all about getting in 5 fun games. If you want to play OFCC, 'fun' is what it's about. Lists are definitely higher strength than in the past now, so don't fear that too much (this is why teams have matchmaking captains). The reality is just consider, am I bringing a grand tournament leafblower list to crush everything, or will my opponent have fun? The balance is more towards having fun, but closer to the middle imo. If you're not talking, focusing so hard on the game,  and the opponent is bored, something is wrong. 

I don't think you bringing 60+ warriors wouldn't be an issue? They still have to be 12" to rapid fire, and they only move 5". They just don't die.

C'tans, monoliths and warriors sounds like a blast to play.

• Like 1