3d Printer User's Group

I picked up the TIKO pla printing as a Kickstarter...  I’ve played around with it a little. But now I’m looking at a better option in my research. 

Looking at the ANYCUBIC Photon (UV LCD) printer ... exposes a resin bath. Quality is really nice for under 600$

-d

Yeah - I’m not sure about how much you’d need on hand.  But I’d say at least one fresh bottle at all times lol. 

The quality is amazing when compared to similar priced PLA printers. I’ve watched several YouTube vid reviews... and it’s light years ahead of what I’ve looked at previously. 

Currently, trying to get caught up on projects before I can justify the leap. 

-d

• 3 months later...

If no one minds, this is an an area I’ve been looking at getting into myself. So to answer Scottshoemaker’s questions myself...

Do you want a kit or prebuilt?

Prebuilt. 

What is you budget?

$200-300, give or take.

How big are you planning on printing?

Probably nothing larger than 6” x 6” x 6” at the extreme end. Usually quite a bit smaller and in subassemblies. I don’t want to replace proper miniatures, but I’d like to make wargame terrain, dungeon tiles, and tokens. 

Do you want to start small then upgrade later, or go all in?

Small to start, growing from there. 

I’ve been poking around the internet looking for reviews, feedback, and the like. I’m leaning towards the Monoprice Select Mini 3D Printer V2. Retails for about $200 USD, most places, and seems to be pretty well liked by most reviewers. Thoughts?

If that’s ones goal, then yes it is. If that’s not your goal, then no it’s not.

My ex-girlfriend is a pro/am deejay, she owns a $5,000 audio mixer sound thingy (that’s the technical term). I own a $15 clock-radio slash CD player. Her sound thing wouldn’t be worthwhile for me, my clock-radio wouldn’t work for her.

• Like 2

Goal would be to make some money printing things for people, just enough to fund my own crazy projects

budget is more based on what’s smart.  I don’t want to start small and waste money.  But I don’t want to over kill either.

i could probably go up to 3000-4000 if make it a serious investment.  I’d just create a business to get me some write offs on my house lol (I know it’s more complicated than that but we know how to do that)

i was looking a Form 2,  seems like a solid choice for quality and the different materials you can use.

size  would be model industry addition.  Terrain, shoulder pads, weapons, etc...

• Thanks 1

I would check out the /r/printedminis and /r/3dprintedtabletop subreddits to get an idea of what sort of real world results people are getting from various printers.  I got a Creality Ender3 but didn't get much of a chance to use it because we decided to move.  I haven't had a chance to set it back up again.  Its comes about halfway assembled and it seems like half of the people are printing amazingly from the start and half are having to work at it.

• Thanks 1

Oh oh me me!

I have a Ultimaker 2+, using mostly PLA to build terrain, objectives, and other parts.

Recently bought an Anycubic Photon Resin printer, first week was a nightmare getting things figured out but I finally think I have it.

The Ultimaker is more for larger pieces and things that need to be tougher, the resin printer is for more bits like items that need to look good on a model.

First two are a couple of resin prints. Others are PLA

20180920_072611received_214406467585878620180918_19375420180916_18535820180917_072941

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptainA said:

Oh oh me me!

I have a Ultimaker 2+, using mostly PLA to build terrain, objectives, and other parts.

Recently bought an Anycubic Photon Resin printer, first week was a nightmare getting things figured out but I finally think I have it.

The Ultimaker is more for larger pieces and things that need to be tougher, the resin printer is for more bits like items that need to look good on a model.

First two are a couple of resin prints. Others are PLA

20180920_072611received_214406467585878620180918_19375420180916_18535820180917_072941

Oh I like the terrain man