scottshoemaker

3d Printer User's Group

15 hours ago, CaptainA said:

I just loaded it into my program Cura and as is with no scaling it was at 410 grams with a 20% infill. With the filament I use it would cost me about 6.15 in filament. My experience with places like 3dhubs is that you would pay about $60 for it. A couple of those arms barely fit on my printer so it might have to be sliced further for another printer.

Thanks that helps a lot!

Now I'm considering a printer. Looking at these two, you mentioned above: 

• Creality3D Ender3
  • Monoprice MP Select Mini v2

I'm really about keeping cost down to get 'decent' printed content. You saw the Pylon I'd print first, but then maybe terrain, bits, etc. Scott, you have both, which do you like better between those 2? Anyone else recommend a printer? The under $200 is nice, don't know if I'd go to $300. Seems like the ender 3 is a great machine and larger prints for the budget price.

What about the Anet A8?

Also being that the Ender is a kit and the MP Select is pre-built. Is there a resolution concern in calibration, etc?

I just recently got the Anet A8 and as someone who is completely new to 3D printing I will say it was relatively easy to get going, save for a broken part needing replaced.

I am using Cura for slicing but I am wondering what other software people are using. In particular I wanting to cut stl models to be in smaller /easier to print pieces.

1 hour ago, Dark Trainer said:

Thanks that helps a lot!

Now I'm considering a printer. Looking at these two, you mentioned above: 

• Creality3D Ender3
  • Monoprice MP Select Mini v2

I'm really about keeping cost down to get 'decent' printed content. You saw the Pylon I'd print first, but then maybe terrain, bits, etc. Scott, you have both, which do you like better between those 2? Anyone else recommend a printer? The under $200 is nice, don't know if I'd go to $300. Seems like the ender 3 is a great machine and larger prints for the budget price.

What about the Anet A8?

Also being that the Ender is a kit and the MP Select is pre-built. Is there a resolution concern in calibration, etc?

If I had to suggest to someone I'd say look at the Prusa MK3 (not a clone, but rather from Prusa). They have great reviews and are pushing the envelope in 3d printing. I've also heard great things about the Ender, and building it could be a great way to learn it and fix it if there is issues.

46 minutes ago, CaptainA said:

If I had to suggest to someone I'd say look at the Prusa MK3 (not a clone, but rather from Prusa). They have great reviews and are pushing the envelope in 3d printing. I've also heard great things about the Ender, and building it could be a great way to learn it and fix it if there is issues.

Sadly, i couldn't justify $750 especially since i doubt i'll be making enough to even justify the $200 price point.

Also can't find a good comparison of why, or resolution, etc. What makes the Prusa MK3 better. At that price point I'd have to 'sell' stuff to pay for itself, didn't plan on that.

Build quality of an original vs cheap(er) knock offs.   People like the ender 3 because, relative to what has come before it, its build quality and potential performance are pretty great for ~200.  Having said that some people have to do a good amount of tweaking and calibration to get great prints out of the Ender 3.  Like I had to buy a glass plate because my build surface wasn't that level.  Or the filament will rub against the z-axis rod so you have to print something to prevent that.

I started with an MP mini, mainly because of price and ease of use out of the box.  I started having issues with it failing prints, but I really think I overheated it attempting to print ABS.  I bought the ender mainly because I figured eff it, either repair or upgrade.  I will say the Mini is a nice entry level machine.  Being able to mostly eliminate the hardware when troubleshooting failed prints is a nice leaning step.  Going to the Ender I had a leg up in knowing what I should expect print a good print.

Since I've got the ender running, I'll go back and fix the Mini.  

Two printers? Why yes!