5th Edition flash back

Kingpin

I posted this up on Facebook and got some interest so I thought I would include the Ordo crowd as well. I am trying to plan a 5th edition event at the end of September. I don't know yet if it will just be a game day hang out and have fun or try and do a three round tournament. I have always loved 5th edition and apparently some other people do as well. So if you want to join us just let me know. I don't have a venue locked down yet but I am hoping to do this at the Games Matrix in Tacoma. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5th edition was sooo good until Blood Angels. Then each successive book went further off the rails. Necrons, Space Wolves, Grey Knights...

5th ed Space Marines is, IMO, the best book GW has ever done. There's absolutely no broken list you can write with it. There are many very good builds but it's simply unbreakable. It is balance incarnate. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/14/2018 at 9:48 AM, Munkie said:

5th edition was sooo good until Blood Angels. Then each successive book went further off the rails. Necrons, Space Wolves, Grey Knights...

5th ed Space Marines is, IMO, the best book GW has ever done. There's absolutely no broken list you can write with it. There are many very good builds but it's simply unbreakable. It is balance incarnate. 

I loved blood angels in 5th. They'd bring out their storm raven and I'd auto-hit it with a vindicator's demolisher shell. They'd put our their FNP bubble and I'd kill them with another vindicator's demolisher shell. I love my vindicators.

On 7/14/2018 at 12:48 PM, Munkie said:

I feel the same way, 5th edition was the best base rule set.  They just kept adding unnecessary details after that.

What I wouldn't give for a 5th ed. rules set with the current GW codex release and desire to tweek the game.  Gods of Chaos that would be amazing!

4 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

I loved 5th edition Demons, even with the 1/2 army in reserve nonsense. Was just a ton of fun to play. I actually had a ton of fun with the CSM and played them to death until the errata to Warptime.

Except warp storm rules. One of the worst rules GW has ever wasted time on.

They're complicated enough that they're impossible to memorize, it takes way too much time for how little effect it has the vast, vast majority of the time, but it has an extremely massive impact on the extremely rare occasion, so the demon player won't want to skip it.

The only advantage to it is that when I play demon players at events, I've got a built-in "go get a beer" phase.

Otherwise, it is all of the worst attributes of GW game design consolidated into one tedious and mostly pointless phase.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Munkie said:

Except warp storm rules. One of the worst rules GW has ever wasted time on.

They're complicated enough that they're impossible to memorize, it takes way too much time for how little effect it has the vast, vast majority of the time, but it has an extremely massive impact on the extremely rare occasion, so the demon player won't want to skip it.

The only advantage to it is that when I play demon players at events, I've got a built-in "go get a beer" phase.

Otherwise, it is all of the worst attributes of GW game design consolidated into one tedious and mostly pointless phase.

I didn't think the Warpstorm rules came out until the 6th ed book?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munkie said:

I could be wrong, they change so dramatically each edition that it's hard to remember what they had when. 

Pretty sure it was a 6th ed thing, I'll have to check when I get home.

Prior to the start of 8th edition, my buddy and I were toying around with some sort of modified "5th ed" ruleset that fixed some of the issues (in our perception) with the game. It never went anywhere, but it was an interesting thought experiment; Do you always use the most current codex, or do you use earlier versions that were 5th legal? How do you tone down GK / SW / IG? What core rules do you change? Would be curious what other people think! I like 8th edition, but 5th was the most fun I had with 40K.

On 7/17/2018 at 3:09 PM, Talonwinter said:

Would you be using the current codex or are you looking at the 5th ed codex.?

Sorry I have been on vacation so I missed this. We will be using 5th edition codexes and main rule book. It is going to be just for fun event so no need to over complicate it.

18 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Sorry I have been on vacation so I missed this. We will be using 5th edition codexes and main rule book. It is going to be just for fun event so no need to over complicate it.

Was looking at having the old codex. I have no clue if i even have mine. LOL 

AlI i can think about is the doom is back. LoL loved that unit.

• 4 weeks later...