With Today's Technology - What Movie Would You Like Seen Remade?

Romans832

1 hour ago, pretre said:

Really? It's animated and I don't know how modern tech would enhance it.

CGI movie. Somewhere between Stuart Little and Willard. 

Similar thoughts for Watership Down. A little less Stuart Little and a little more Aliens, perhaps.

I wouldn't want them Pixar style. NIMH could be, but I'd like them live-actionesque.

• Thanks 1

See, I keep reading the suggestions and I feel like very few of these movies call for a remake with new technology....

What I am reading into these posts is people saying "wouldn't it be cool to have new content related to this film?"

The suggestion of Gremlins made specific mention of technology and how the original movie could be updated with new creature effects.  But Spaceballs?  I'd love to see Brooks have at the new films but wasn't one of the points of his film the crappy technology?

The animation in all those animated films is part of the artistic appeal.  In films like Watership and NIMH where there is no human presence to speak of why would you rework the animation?  To be honest, I look at Watership and NIMH and think of them as complete and don't want to see a remake.  All that could be done is a raping of my childhood.  Gremlins could be remade with new technology and I don't feel that the animatronic feel was integral to the nature of the film.

Time Bandits I am on the fence about.  I kinda felt that the low-budget effects were intentional in that one but I could see an argument that the story could work as well with modern effects and it might be interesting.

Are you guys really saying you want to see the same story or one that is largely faithful to the original or are you saying that these are film settings and characters that you want to see more about?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Duckman said:

Time Bandits I am on the fence about.  I kinda felt that the low-budget effects were intentional in that one but I could see an argument that the story could work as well with modern effects and it might be interesting.

Well, I agree that low budget is part of the appeal but I also think that you could have an even greater movie (hard to imagine) with new effects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pretre said:

Well, I agree that low budget is part of the appeal but I also think that you could have an even greater movie (hard to imagine) with new effects.

But would you do modern low-budget effects?  And if so, would the movie really benefit from that?  Or is this the star treatment where you let ILM or someone like that loose on it to spruce it up as much as possible?  I mean, the All-Mighty was intended to be just another guy, not some shiny CGI character but maybe making The Ultimate Evil more impressive...  Making some of the starfield effects shinier...

But so many of the other films on the list...  How does modernization benefit a film like The Secret or NIMH or Rikki Tikki Tavi?  Did the recent Peter Cottontail film actually appeal to anyone?

And Dune...  The issue with Dune is that it needs to be 9 hours long (ok, maybe only 5) and nobody has found a way to break it into manageable chunks.  Yeah, I'd love to see the effects improved but the issues with Lynch's Dune film didn't really have to do with the effects.  Could you remake Jodorowsky's Dune today successfully without casting Tom Cruise in it as Duke Leto and then having him demand that you rewrite it so that Leto lives and is the hero instead of Paul?

I dunno...  I guess I see most remakes as an attempt to take a good film and capitalize on its prior success.  The Spiderman 3 comment I can see because that film was horrible and needs to be redone decently (and in theory it could be with better acting/directing, independent of modern tech).

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

I thought about this one, but I feel it needs rebooted, erased, forgotten. 

I don't actually think the re-writes for that trilogy would even need to be that heavy. A better director could have gotten way more out of those scripts. There's actually a really solid story underneath all the awful surface details.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, WestRider said:

I don't actually think the re-writes for that trilogy would even need to be that heavy. A better director could have gotten way more out of those scripts. There's actually a really solid story underneath all the awful surface details.

Well, I'm sure we all know who to thank for the original saga being so damn good.

Not the guy behind the prequals hahaha

• Like 2

On 7/20/2018 at 11:53 AM, Duckman said:

And Dune...  The issue with Dune is that it needs to be 9 hours long (ok, maybe only 5) and nobody has found a way to break it into manageable chunks.  Yeah, I'd love to see the effects improved but the issues with Lynch's Dune film didn't really have to do with the effects.  Could you remake Jodorowsky's Dune today successfully without casting Tom Cruise in it as Duke Leto and then having him demand that you rewrite it so that Leto lives and is the hero instead of Paul?

The issue with Dune is how the author does the "levels" of dialogue. Each scene includes what is actually happening, what each character thinks the others are thinking, what the Bene Gesserit training suggests the others are thinking, and what is actually being said. This multi-leveled dialogue doesn't work well in cinema.

Film length is also a challenge, but it's less of an issue. They could just release a 9 hour movie, not in theaters, but with streaming services, it's feasible to have a really long film that people watch from their own home and just pause when they need to sleep/eat/move around.