The next doctor is female...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Doctor

Meh, not sure if I like it or not, but sounds like they are keeping Steven Moffat and replacing the current doctor with Jodie Whittaker.

I do think this last season has been pretty bad, and few before, while nice that they were higher budget, did seem less impressive. I've heard the problem is Steven Moffat, but I suppose if the plan is to not address the problem, but instead try to keep viewership without fixing, then I do hope the new doctor succeeds.

I'm not a sexist, but switching main protagonist's gender mid-series is causing me more internal confliction that I would have guessed. Fascinating.

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Wait, are you only just now finding this out?

Yeah....I'm slow. I don't get whatever channel this airs on, so I only just saw the episode with this bit on there. It really only occurred to me to stream it now. Apparently aired in December of last year.

7 hours ago, Torg said:

“Mid series”? Lol

and this was new ... a year ago I think. I also thought Moffat was due one more season?  Or something to that effect. 

-d

Moffat is done. Chibnall replaces him for the new series.

7 hours ago, paxmiles said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirteenth_Doctor

Meh, not sure if I like it or not, but sounds like they are keeping Steven Moffat and replacing the current doctor with Jodie Whittaker.

I do think this last season has been pretty bad, and few before, while nice that they were higher budget, did seem less impressive. I've heard the problem is Steven Moffat, but I suppose if the plan is to not address the problem, but instead try to keep viewership without fixing, then I do hope the new doctor succeeds.

I'm not a sexist, but switching main protagonist's gender mid-series is causing me more internal confliction that I would have guessed. Fascinating.

Pax, just walk away from this thread. There's so much wrong in your post, just walk away.

hqdefault.jpg

Just leave Doctor Who alone.

dc25f1308aba68a8b5b9dc09a795c413.gif

• Like 2

Ahhh see - I knew moffat was nearly out ... lol ... but this is my brain dredging up bits of information from a year ago remembered lol.  So technically, I’m right?  Lol

and I agree - if your having issue with the dr changing to a woman... “mid series” ... gender switch or whatever... uhm you probably need to reevaluate your feelings. Because if it’s just the gender thing - it is indeed sexist. 

I’ve not seen the new series/ season yet.  It’s on my binge list. But I’ve not cared for a few past Drs. - but I’m familiar with the new gal from watching Broadchurch.  - she wasn’t a poor actress - so I’m waiting to judge her on her actual acting lol. 

But then again, it always takes me a few episodes to get over losing the last dr and getting used to the new edition lol.  (I still miss Peter Davidson 😢)

-d

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Ep 0 came out in December.  As I understand it, the Brits count the Xmas eps as the first ep in each series, while American broadcasting calls it the final episode of the season.

While that's true...

Chibnall didn't do Ep0.

Jodie was in the episode for less than 5 minutes.

Her episodes have not started.

The other odd thing in the episode is that I was under the impression that the doctor had a limited number of regenerations, but in this episode [0] they don't mention this even once and it seems an integral part of the plot that his death is a choice. So basically, the episode is the characters in the setting trying to talk the doctor out of suicide. And when they succeed, we get Whittaker - who is not on screen long enough to establish like or dislike of the actor.

On 8/3/2018 at 8:13 AM, Torg said:

and I agree - if your having issue with the dr changing to a woman... “mid series” ... gender switch or whatever... uhm you probably need to reevaluate your feelings. Because if it’s just the gender thing - it is indeed sexist.

Nah, I think I just resist change. Plus that particular actor didn't do anything for me (in the less than 5min they were on screen). I've actually advocated for a female doctor in the past, though I would have preferred a different approach than this particular doctor becoming the female randomly and without specific cause.

River or even Missy could have become their own, quite impressive, series. Or the Donna Doctor. Or even just a physical manifestation of the tartus. Heck, could even make an interesting series about Clara in Dalek form going around and saving people.

I don't know much about the original series, but I recall the doctor traveling with his daughter at the start. Always thought it would be nice if they brought her back. Though she probably died in one of the episodes I've not seen.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:45 PM, InfestedKerrigan said:

Pax, watch Day of the Doctor, and Time of the Doctor. 

DoD is 50th anny ep. ToD is Xmas ep.

I did see those, but I wasn't under the impression he was given unlimited lives. Wasn't that a one-time thing?

11 hours ago, paxmiles said:

River or even Missy could have become their own, quite impressive, series. Or the Donna Doctor. Or even just a physical manifestation of the tartus. Heck, could even make an interesting series about Clara in Dalek form going around and saving people.

I don't know much about the original series, but I recall the doctor traveling with his daughter at the start. Always thought it would be nice if they brought her back. Though she probably died in one of the episodes I've not seen.

I did see those, but I wasn't under the impression he was given unlimited lives. Wasn't that a one-time thing?

You know what River, Missy, Donna Doctor and Clara in Dalek form all have in common? They're all dead. Not an unshakeable problem, but still...

Susan is not dead, was referenced at one point in the new series, and was seen on TV as recently as '83.

The doctor will never run out of lives as long as the BBC is still a thing. In universe, they will find a way.

• Like 1