Returning to 40k; what units to buy?

Sgt. Rock

Hey everyone, so against my better judgment, I'm returning to 40k after about 5 years of not playing. I sold off all my models about 3 or 4 years ago, so I'm starting from scratch. I've settled on Black Templars, at least until the new Sisters of Battle come out next year. I'm not looking to build a *huge* collection of BTs, but I would like to be able to play a small game or three before I start dumping money into the SoB. So far I have the Start Collecting box, a box of Scouts on the way (for Neophytes) and the body of a Dark Angels Company Veteran that I'm going to convert into a chaplain. No idea when or where I got him, he just wound up in my bits box. Anyway, my question is, where do I go from here? I'm a very casual player, not planning on attending any tournaments, so I want something fluffy and fun, but I still want my army to be reasonably effective. What should I buy next? The Emperor's Champion is on my list, and I'm looking at a Rhino for my Crusader Squad(s), maybe a Predator, a Razorback, and/or some Terminators. I'm not sure how I feel about the Primaris marines; on the one hand, they're definitely useful, on the other hand, I think they're kind of dumb. Haven't decided on those  yet. So yeah. What's good? What's not? Am I an idiot for picking Black Templars? Help!

• Like 2

Welcome back to the far future!

Emps champ - pretty much mandatory for a Templar army.  Also, just cool.

Dreads - Pretty fun on the table.  Many are quite affordable as well.  The starter mono pose redemptor falls in this catagory.  Also, just cool.

Land raider crusader - Smashing one into someone’s lines and then dumping a big squad on their door is a special feeling.

All the flamers - Because if you are going on a 10,000 year crusade you might as well be able to have some fun too.  🙂

Most of the marine line will serve you well.  I’d find a part of the game you enjoy and develop from there.  Be it ranged fire or assault, badass characters or vehicles.  Make it into something you enjoy and you can’t lose.  Ok, you can, but you’ll have fun doing it.

I haven't actually played with or against Templars in 8th, so this is second-hand, but from what I've heard, they should be fine for casual play. Apparently they do a Rhino Rush style Assault build pretty well, which is nice and fluff for them. Predators are decent fire support, I like them. Razorbacks are good. Most Terminators are still overpriced compared to how durable they are, unfortunately.

The fluff for Primaris Marines is pretty awkward, but they are solid on the table. Not needed by any means if you don't like them, tho.

The Thunderfire Cannon is one of the things I see recommended all the time for SM Armies. As much for the Stratagem that lets you slow down opposing Units as for the damage it causes. Other than the ones I mentioned above, the Rhino-based Tanks are all kind of bad. Dreads and both varieties of Power Armour Veterans are solid. I really like Vanguard Vets with two Chainswords each and a Thunder Hammer on the Sarge, myself. Land Speeders are pretty bad except for Heavy Flamers.

That's unfortunate about the Land Speeders and Rhino chassis tanks. I always thought the Speeders and the Whirlwinds were pretty neat. Based on what I have, I put together a quick and dirty 500 point list (does anybody play games that small? If they do, maybe I can find someone to finish teaching me how to play...) that is probably suboptimal, but since I also want to use these models for Kill Team, will allow me to do both. I think my next purchase will be the Emperor's Champion and a Rhino, as I need a way to get that squad across the board and into combat. As far as a Crusader Squad goes, how should I arm them? Is it best to focus on all CC or all shooty, or can I get away with mixing the two a little? For example, right now the build I have has a 10 man squad, 4 Initiates, a Sword Brother, and 5 Neophytes. 2 Initiates have boltguns, 1 has a plasma gun, and one has a chainsword, the Sword Brother has a chainsword and combi flamer. The Neophytes have 2 shotguns, 2 combat knives, and 1 boltgun. Is that trying to do too many things at once? I feel like it's enough to mess up a shooty squad on the way in and in CC, and shooty enough to either resist a charge or soften up a fighty squad. So many options, I don't know what's good! 

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

That's unfortunate about the Land Speeders and Rhino chassis tanks. I always thought the Speeders and the Whirlwinds were pretty neat. Based on what I have, I put together a quick and dirty 500 point list (does anybody play games that small? If they do, maybe I can find someone to finish teaching me how to play...) that is probably suboptimal, but since I also want to use these models for Kill Team, will allow me to do both. I think my next purchase will be the Emperor's Champion and a Rhino, as I need a way to get that squad across the board and into combat. As far as a Crusader Squad goes, how should I arm them? Is it best to focus on all CC or all shooty, or can I get away with mixing the two a little? For example, right now the build I have has a 10 man squad, 4 Initiates, a Sword Brother, and 5 Neophytes. 2 Initiates have boltguns, 1 has a plasma gun, and one has a chainsword, the Sword Brother has a chainsword and combi flamer. The Neophytes have 2 shotguns, 2 combat knives, and 1 boltgun. Is that trying to do too many things at once? I feel like it's enough to mess up a shooty squad on the way in and in CC, and shooty enough to either resist a charge or soften up a fighty squad. So many options, I don't know what's good! 

As someone with 5 Whirlwinds and a collection of Land Speeders somewhere in the double digits, I feel your pain there. 500 Points isn't a standard size or anything, but you should be able to find someone who will play a couple of teaching games at that size.

It is generally best to focus most Units on one role. It's not as important in 8th as in previous editions, thanks to the ability to split fire, and the more generous Wound table, but, for the Squad you describe, if they stay at a normal pace to shoot (rather than speeding up in a Rhino or Advancing every Turn), they're not going to make it into Close Combat in time for it to matter. The Plasma Gun is the only one that's a real issue, because those are pricy, and you don't want to waste that firepower. I'd at least move that dude over to a Squad that otherwise all have Bolters, and build another Initiate with Chainsword to fill out the current Squad. At that point, it's a little bit inefficient, but not bad at all compared to slowing down a 10-man Squad so one dude can take Plasma shots, or having a Plasma Gun that costs as much as another dude sitting uselessly locked in Combat. Plus, the mixed-Weaponry Squads look really cool, and it's good to have all those options for Kill Team.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:48 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

If your not playing competitive, not aiming for this to be your main army, and since this list might not exceed 2k,  just play whatever feels right. Black templars are supposed to be choppy right? Then a chaplain is great. Emperors champion and a generic Smashcaptain ( captain with jumpack, storm shield and thunder hammer) should also be good. I feel you should also be doing max squads of Crusaders armed with bolt pistols, chain swords with some plasma and thunder hammers/power fists sprinkled it. Screw the transports, just run screaming across the table till you sink your chainaxe into heretics and xenos. Want some land speeders? Add them. Rhino chassis? There are good ones for sure. 

8th is great because the gap between a bad army and a good army isnt that far apart. So if your skillful enough you can pull out some wins with anything. Yes, eldar, guard and knights are the boogy men, but all the rest of the armies put in top 8 showings all the time. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I would recommend starting your army build very slowly, and purchasing/building/painting only those models that you're likely to use no matter what (e.g., rhinos, emp's champs, chaplain, etc.). Then wait to fill out the rest until Chapter Approved comes out at the end of the year. GW knows that Black Templars are suffering, and they're likely to get some buffs.

It's definitely going to be a slow build, if for no other reason than budgetary constraints. I'm probably going to snag the Champ in a couple weeks, and the Rhino after that. Eventually a Razorback would be nice, too. After that, we'll see where it goes. I want to try to sneak in a few small-ish games to see if I like how they play, and if I want to continue building them. I find myself kind of missing my orks already (Especially with the new buggies they showed, those are sexy!) and I haven't even started playing yet...

• Like 1