So, haven't really played in years now, trying to get a sense of the landscape.  I made this list based mostly on what I own and what I think seems cool.  I'm less interested in overall power level than I am with ITC legality.

Anyway, check check it.

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [112 PL, 1918pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Tallarn

+ HQ +

Commissar Yarrick [7 PL, 130pts]: Master of Command, Warlord

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Kurov's Aquila, Laspistol

Tank Commander [12 PL, 247pts]: Lascannon, Multi-meltas
. Command Executioner: Turret-mounted Executioner Plasma Cannon

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 57pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Meltagun
. Sergeant: Laspistol, Power axe

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 60pts]
. 7x Guardsman
. Heavy Weapon Team: Lascannon
. Sergeant: Laspistol

. 7x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Master of Ordnance [2 PL, 30pts]

Ministorum Priest [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Ogryns [8 PL, 150pts]: 4x Ogryn, Ogryn Bone 'ead

+ Fast Attack +

Rough Riders [3 PL, 50pts]
. 4x Rough Rider: 4x Hunting Lance
. Rough Rider Sergeant: Chainsword, Hunting Lance, Laspistol

Scout Sentinels [6 PL, 94pts]
. Scout Sentinel: Autocannon

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [14 PL, 234pts]
. Basilisk: Heavy Flamer

Griffon Mortar Carrier [12 PL, 156pts]
. Griffon Mortar Carrier: Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL, 304pts]
. Leman Russ Battle Tank: Battle Cannon, Heavy Bolter

++ Auxiliary Support Detachment -1CP (Imperium - Officio Assassinorum) [5 PL, 80pts] ++

+ Elites +

Callidus Assassin [5 PL, 80pts]

++ Total: [117 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks reasonable to dip your toes back in. Legality is there, efficiency of command points doesn't matter. Play it and learn it sir!

Thinking about it I'd consider collapsing the rough riders to a single unit and splitting the sentinels. But I think that is a preference thing as you play keep an eye on how that works out. Rough riders combat and having to select them individually for attacking could catch you while the sentinels being able to deploy further apart could help that Visa tactic of yours. Course having the rough riders in two places is good too. 

Imo melta weapons are some of the biggest point-sinks in 8th Ed. Plasma is always more versatile and often more destructive; for the points there's nothing better. So I would go with heavy bolters on the leman Russ (remember that in 8th you can select different targets for every weapon) and plasmaguns on the infantry squads.

Why callidus over eversor?

And seriously consider picking Grand Strategist - with that plus Kurov's Aquila you'll have a hard time running out of CP.

20 minutes ago, andy said:

Not sure I'd get too comfortable with that combo, what with CA2018 just around the corner and all..

Best not to get too comfortable with anything in 8th ed, but while it exists that's hardly a reason to avoid something - it's not like you have to spend time modeling either of those selections.

6 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Imo melta weapons are some of the biggest point-sinks in 8th Ed. Plasma is always more versatile and often more destructive; for the points there's nothing better. So I would go with heavy bolters on the leman Russ (remember that in 8th you can select different targets for every weapon) and plasmaguns on the infantry squads.

Agree for the infantry squads.

On a more general note, the melta weapons have their moments even in 8e. But they are really expensive, so you need to think more about which units take melta guns than you'd have to in the past.

Back to the infantry squads, the main exception to the plasma preference would be if your regular opponent would impose negative modifiers to hit. Plasma weapons are underpowered if they have negative modifiers to hit, since it also increases the range of which they overheat. While penalties to hit are imposed, the melta gun is better.

6 hours ago, necrontyr said:

The Master of Ordnance isn't great for 30pts, you'd be better served by a platoon commander for 20 pts. 

Unless they're glued on, Heavy Flamers on Basilisks is a huge waste too. Heavy Flamers aren't great for 17 pts. 

What's the strategy with going Tallarn? Do you plan to outflank some stuff? I like the list, it seems fun and guard Battalions have CP for days.

PC could be better I guess.

Glued on.

I like running and gunning and I like coming in from the sides.  Otherwise IG is so static.

7 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

Looks reasonable to dip your toes back in. Legality is there, efficiency of command points doesn't matter. Play it and learn it sir!

Thinking about it I'd consider collapsing the rough riders to a single unit and splitting the sentinels. But I think that is a preference thing as you play keep an eye on how that works out. Rough riders combat and having to select them individually for attacking could catch you while the sentinels being able to deploy further apart could help that Visa tactic of yours. Course having the rough riders in two places is good too. 

I could go either way.  Easy to flip flop.

6 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Why callidus over eversor?

And seriously consider picking Grand Strategist - with that plus Kurov's Aquila you'll have a hard time running out of CP.

I'm stuck with what I own and built.

I like the callidus for [big bad swear word]ing with things.

I want Yarrick to do orders so he needs to be warlord.

5 hours ago, fluger said:

Is that bad?

It's not optimal, since you only need 6 troops to satisfy the brigade requirements.

I'm stuck with what I own and built.

Ok

I like the callidus for [big bad swear word]ing with things.

Ok

I want Yarrick to do orders so he needs to be warlord. 

But...command points!

2 hours ago, Dusldorf said:

Ok

How bad, in your opinion, are meltas in squads?  Worth spending a good amount on Victoria Miniatures to rearm them?

The tanks are pretty set as is, and with Bs4 and not having -1 when moving means they hit often and well.

In the few games I've used them, the multimeltas have performed well.

1 hour ago, fluger said:

How bad, in your opinion, are meltas in squads?  Worth spending a good amount on Victoria Miniatures to rearm them?

The tanks are pretty set as is, and with Bs4 and not having -1 when moving means they hit often and well.

In the few games I've used them, the multimeltas have performed well.

Meltas in squads are pretty terrible. The only redeeming factor here is that you're playing Tallarn. I can't judge for you whether it's worth spending money on re-arming them, but I would do so. If you do change them, maybe magnetize them so that if they ever rebalance melta guns you can put them back?

Multimeltas are definitely better, but again they're too pricey for what they do relative to heavy bolters, plasma cannons, or even lascannons...they require you to close distances, and you don't want to be getting closer to things with a valuable leman russ.

14 hours ago, fluger said:

So, haven't really played in years now, trying to get a sense of the landscape.  I made this list based mostly on what I own and what I think seems cool.  I'm less interested in overall power level than I am with ITC legality.

Anyway, check check it.

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [112 PL, 1918pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Tallarn - Considering the amount of guardsmen, sarges with axes you might be better off with Catachan to get that +1S.

+ HQ +

Commissar Yarrick [7 PL, 130pts]: Master of Command, Warlord He's cool, but very expensive for a squishy character not meant to be in melee. Maybe a second Company commander for grand stratagem, not that you actually need much cp for this list.

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Kurov's Aquila, Laspistol  Very good in every way you would expect him to be.

Tank Commander [12 PL, 247pts]: Lascannon, Multi-meltas Scary amount of Dakka, expensive and moderately fragile. 

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 57pts]  As others have said, meltas and  lascannons are kinda meh... but they should be ok for more casual games.
. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

. 7x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Master of Ordnance [2 PL, 30pts] Better off getting a second  company commander with these points.

Ministorum Priest [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol Pretty good with the number of guards men you have and sarges with axes. Kinda feel like Colonel Straken should be in Yarricks place though...

Ogryns [8 PL, 150pts]: 4x Ogryn, Ogryn Bone 'ead Ehh Bullgryn are far better, a russ would get you more damage for the points.

+ Fast Attack + There almost isnt a bad choice in fast attack for guard...

Rough Riders [3 PL, 50pts] Great, love em. Dont expect them to do much other than kill a few marines or scouts on objectives though.

Scout Sentinels [6 PL, 94pts] Also great, but probably with flamer consider you'll want to scout move, move, advance them before turn so you might as well have auto hits. 

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [14 PL, 234pts] On paper these are great, in practice these guys are idiots. At least for me. Regardless bolter over flamer if ya can.

Griffon Mortar Carrier [12 PL, 156pts] Eh... these are ok.

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL, 304pts] Solid, scary, tanky. Good and sometimes great.

++ Auxiliary Support Detachment -1CP (Imperium - Officio Assassinorum) [5 PL, 80pts] ++

+ Elites +

Callidus Assassin [5 PL, 80pts] Sure, these are ok. Never have been a fan though, but i get why you take em.

++ Total: [117 PL, 1998pts] ++

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fluger said:

How worthless are Ogryns BTW? I know Bullgryns get love, but I have 5 2nd ed Ogryns I've wanted to use for literally 20 years...

They are pretty worthless when you compare what they do to anything else. They dont shoot well, and bullgryns are unstoppable killing machines soooo, yea. But who cares! If you wanna play them go ahead!

• Like 2

++ Brigade Detachment +12CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [112 PL, 1919pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Tallarn

+ HQ +

Commissar Yarrick [7 PL, 130pts]: Master of Command, Warlord

Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Display Astra Militarum Orders, Kurov's Aquila, Laspistol

Tank Commander [12 PL, 253pts]: Hunter-Killer Missile, Lascannon, Multi-meltas

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 52pts]
. 8x Guardsman
. Guardsman W/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

. 8x Guardsman

Infantry Squad [3 PL, 67pts]
. 6x Guardsman

. 6x Guardsman

. 6x Guardsman

+ Elites +

Ministorum Priest [2 PL, 35pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Ogryns [8 PL, 150pts]: 4x Ogryn, Ogryn Bone 'ead

Platoon Commander [2 PL, 24pts]: Display Astra Militarum Orders, Laspistol, Power sword

+ Fast Attack +

Scout Sentinels [6 PL, 94pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Basilisks [14 PL, 234pts]

Griffon Mortar Carrier [12 PL, 156pts]

Leman Russ Battle Tanks [20 PL, 304pts]

+ Elites +

Callidus Assassin [5 PL, 80pts]

++ Total: [117 PL, 1999pts] ++

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

That is an improvement over the previous list just because of the plasma. There are still tons of tweaks and additions I would do to the list but its still a solid core of an army that should play well.

Yeah I agree. Weakest remaining link is the ogryns. What other models do you have? Dropping the ogryns can get you a lot of stuff...could use a manticore, or even turn your Leman Russes into additional Tank Commanders and fill out your heavy support with cheap mortar teams.

I like that the rough riders remain in two squads of 5. They'll have to use their flanking maneuvers to survive, and then even with 5 models they'll push enemy units toward the center of the board, which is where the rest of your army wants them.

• Like 1

I have tons of stuff to replace the Ogryns.  I just needed an elite.

Seems like a more competitive option would be another platoon commander and then roll the 120 points into a tank or 2 more infantry squads.

I have a manticore, 2 wyverns, 5 other Leman Russes and 30 more infantry.

• Like 1