Warhammer Fest Europe - 40k stuff

dalmer

2 minutes ago, Kelharis said:

Same could be said of 8chan edgelords who get offended by people getting offended.

Lol don’t even know what 8chan is but ok.

See you mistake the rolling of eyes as being offended... annoyed at outrage culture that’s going on currently? Sure, everything is offensive now it would seem.  Offended? Nah, don’t have the energy for that.  Hell I’ve spent to much time typing about this as it is....

Going to go back to my porch now and yell at the kids on my lawn... have a nice day 😉

10 minutes ago, Skkipper said:

sadly, I have been denied being in the ROC because I am mean to conservative snowflakes there.

For the record, I don't recall you ever offending me in RoC.

But if you were deliberately being mean, I can see why they'd kick you out. If you are only accidentally mean, then you should be in my boat, and I'm allowed in the RoC...

8 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

For the record, I don't recall you ever offending me in RoC.

it has been a long time since i was on the ROC.

the problem with hoods are the KKK but there are plenty of other examples in history of hoods being used. being offended by hoods is like saying deamonettes are bad because of boobs.

it is a nifty model.  it would be similar to saying if you play germans in WWii games you are a nazi.

update

I just noticed the nooses, those are crossing the line.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Skkipper said:

it has been a long time since i was on the ROC.

the problem with hoods are the KKK but there are plenty of other examples in history of hoods being used. being offended by hoods is like saying deamonettes are bad because of boobs.

it is a nifty model.  it would be similar to saying if you play germans in WWii games you are a nazi.

It's like calling you a nazi for playing any IMPERIUM faction. They all fit that bill. Racial purity (race as in humans) is definitely at fore of the IMPERIUM's docterine. Space marines are basically space nazis.

Then there's the Chaos Space Marines, Or rather, the eviler space nazis...

And then the really funny bit is when you equate the SM to the actual nazis, which makes the emperor of mankind into hitler, then the horus heresy was about Germany rebelling against the nazis...which kinda makes chaos into the good guys.

<Laughing out loud as I type>

MOD note, Already reported and recommended moving this thread to RoC. If you don't mind keeping it as is, I don't see the problem continuing to treat it like a RoC thread.

14 minutes ago, Skkipper said:

But no, I detach the fiction of the game from the real equivalents. Imperium players just like the army as it looks and are welcome to exclude any aspect of the fluff that doesn't meet up with their personal ideals.

As for playing actual nazis in a game, it really depends how far you take it. Some people just like playing the bad guys of any game, and there's nothing wrong with that. I like RPing necromancers in RPGs, but so long as I don't carry that over into real life, it really isn't a problem.

9 minutes ago, WestRider said:

Speaking just for myself, I've never been fans of those for much the same reason. The Redemptionists as well.

Both those, and the KKK, if I'm not mistaken, are all based on Knightly orders from Europe. Which in turn, was largely based on the rather limited tailoring options they had at the time...

My point with the above is that the model isn't the one at fault. The sculpted clothes are just fashion. The player chooses to make their models appear evil or good, as they see fit.

A good hobbiest should be able to make the kindest model into something offensive, or change the most offensive model into something kind. The end result is on them, not the model they started with.

1 hour ago, WestRider said:

I can't give you an objective guideline Pax. It's just one of those things that triggers an association in my brain. I see those Models, and my first impression is that they look like KKK robes and hoods.

What about kids dressed up as ghosts?

image.png.15f7b1164fdc68a51677f0e60c9090dd.png

My mind goes to those classic halloween costumes and "Boo!" Does yours go to KKK?

6 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

What about kids dressed up as ghosts?

image.png.15f7b1164fdc68a51677f0e60c9090dd.png

My mind goes to those classic halloween costumes and "Boo!" Does yours go to KKK?

To some extent, yes, given that I've seen Birth of a Nation, and in that telling of the Klan's origin, their robes were inspired by kids dressed as ghosts.

Thinking about it a bit more, there are three main characteristics that really seem to bring home that association:

1. Long, full body covering robes
  2. Pointed hood
  3. Masks purely for the purpose of concealing identity

So the wizards you posted don't, because their faces are clearly visible. The brims on their hats change the outline as well.

The knights don't because the helmets are for physical protection, not concealing identity, and the lack of pointiness on their headgear. That said, the Teutonic Knights have their own issues, but they don't make me think of the KKK.