Return of the Beastmen?

pretre

10 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Very possible, although maybe there will be some tie-in to the supposed "Dark Oath" stuff that's coming?

Well, even if it's just a Battletome, I'll be interested.

I do think we will gets Grots, Beastman and Slaves to Darkness soon. I think Grots will be the biggest of these releases. But like I said that just looking into my crystal ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Very possible, although maybe there will be some tie-in to the supposed "Dark Oath" stuff that's coming?

Well, even if it's just a Battletome, I'll be interested.

Agreed,,,,likely a combined tome along the lines of what LoN is.They can get alot of mileage out of those if they are done well.

Hoping the Grot one is in the same vein as well:)

22 hours ago, WestRider said:

WHFestLiveBlog-August18-FlamingBull-1dl.

I suppose that's a bipedal bull....definitely a new take on the concept of bipedal. Hmm...no arms, but it does make them look less like just bull versions of humans. I think I could grow to like an entire army of these.

10 hours ago, paxmiles said:

I suppose that's a bipedal bull....definitely a new take on the concept of bipedal. Hmm...no arms, but it does make them look less like just bull versions of humans. I think I could grow to like an entire army of these.

Supposedly it's a new Endless Spell, not an actual creature as such.

• Like 1

Confirmed:

Posted 26/08/2018

From the Wild Places…

BoC-Aug26-Header.jpg

It’s been a tumultuous time in the Mortal Realms of late – the citizens of the Free Cities have had to deal with the ghostly-apocalypse of the Soul Wars, unbound spells rampaging across the land, and now, an old threat has reemerged…

BoCBT-skdjf.jpg

From the wild places of the realms, the true children of Chaos return. And they have not come alone; alongside vast hordes of savage beastmen come hulking mutants and towering monsters ready to lay low any trace of civilisation and return the lands to the primal grip of the dark gods…

This Battletome deals with more than just the brayherds, it compiles many of the bestial creatures of Chaos into a single unholy tome including Bullgors, Dragon Ogors, Tzaangor and more besides. A Beasts of Chaos force represents the untamed inhuman nature of Chaos is all its glory – a single army, with powerful, overlapping allegiance abilities, magical lores, and spells.

Armyshot-sdfjk.jpg

And there are some new models on the way in the form of new terrain and endless spells.

Herdstone-dfbs.jpg

First up, the classic symbol of the beast herds is getting a long-overdue miniature – the iconoclastic Herdstone of the dark gods. This towering terrain piece comes complete with the bones of sacrificed victims, corrupted relics and stolen treasures of fallen foes – everything you need to gain the favour and attention of the gods.

As well as providing an awesome centerpiece for your army, the Herdstone also provides powerful in-game benefits that work alongside their new allegiance abilities.

EndlessSpell1-kjha-320x320.jpg
EndlessSpell2-sfds-320x320.jpg
EndlessSpell3-sfdo-320x320.jpg

The magics of the Beast of Chaos have always been fittingly raw and untamed, and now the full fury of this dark sorcery can be manifested in three new endless spells. We’ll have news for you soon on exactly what they do, but it seems safe to say that massive flaming, charging bull is probably not a subtle spell…

Battletome: Beasts of Chaos will be in stores in September.

We’ll have more previews on just what you can expect from Battletome: Beasts of Chaos very soon, so keep your eyes on the treeline…

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it sounds like no actual new Units, just the Endless Spells and Herdstone. I want those birds from the one Endless Spell, tho. Could probably figure out something to do with the Bull, and I could definitely turn the horn into an Objective Marker for my Khorne stuff. Just have a bunch of skulls spilling out, so it's a Khornucopia.

I also find it amusing that they describe the Herdstone as "iconoclastic" when it's literally the opposite of that.

3 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Aren't those dragon ogres in the back right of the picture new?

I think they're just built with the alternate options, that don't have pics on GW's site. But the bodies all look pretty much the same to me, and the noticeable differences (helmets, 2xhand weapon instead of great weapon) are listed as options for the kit.

So what the heck? If GW intended to keep beastmen, why did they leave them hanging for all of 1st edition AoS? Was the idea to have players sell their collections so they would be free to buy them again, or something? I just feel like beastment were unfairly excluded from most of AoS1. And not just crappy rules, you couldn't buy their kits for a long while. 

Anyway, taken with a grain of salt, for I don't play anymore...

Though this does make me wonder if GW will eventually re-release tomb kings.

58 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

So what the heck? If GW intended to keep beastmen, why did they leave them hanging for all of 1st edition AoS? Was the idea to have players sell their collections so they would be free to buy them again, or something? I just feel like beastment were unfairly excluded from most of AoS1. And not just crappy rules, you couldn't buy their kits for a long while. 

Anyway, taken with a grain of salt, for I don't play anymore...

Though this does make me wonder if GW will eventually re-release tomb kings.

Beastmen were also also excluded from 8th edition, their last army book being released in 2010 during 7th. If GW's plan was to get people to sell off their models so they would have to re-buy them, they certainly played the long game on this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Beastmen were also also excluded from 8th edition, their last army book being released in 2010 during 7th. If GW's plan was to get people to sell off their models so they would have to re-buy them, they certainly played the long game on this one.

GW's style makes me often think they play the long game. But I could be overestimating them, I definitely have a weakness where I tend to overestimate people and organizations. 

To be fair there are a ton of older Fantasy armies that have not had an update since AoS started, it will take a long time for all of them to get updated with new books and/or new models. Some like Legions of Nagash just get an updated book and no new models but the army is way more playable now, or we get a bigger update like Maggotkin with a mix of new/old models or then you have stuff like Overlords with all new models and rules. I think GW is doing a great job so far with the releases for AoS we are kinda getting the best of all scenarios. If you compare it to the release cycle so far for 8th edition 40k it tends to be more rules updates only and less brand new armies.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I have a beastmen army. What do I actually need to play these guys for AoS? Can I get by with the cards? Or will the book have the happy special secret powers that the various herds get? Has anyone gotten the book yet?

Have not gotten the book, but I listened to the review podcast from Frontline Gaming. Seems getting the book will be well worth it, as with any of the newer Battletomes: Command abilities, allegiance special rules, artifacts, battalions... Seems like you will probably want to buy the new Herdstone model as well, since Beasts of Chaos get one for free in their army. Maybe a little bit of "you need to buy this new model!", but the rules are good, and it is a pretty sweet looking kit...