This may not be the best place for this, but being a salty boy is worse for the fun aspect than facing a Murder List.

merkthejerk

One of my opponents this tournament very nearly killed the fun for me.

Before we started the match, he complained at length about his previous matches and how they were overpowered for a fun tournament. He complained that my army was going to kick his ass and how this match wasn't going to be fun for him. When a friend came by to say hello, he said OFCC wasn't fun anymore, because people bring competitive lists and then openly looked at my army, then me. He complained about how his army was really bad. He complained about my army's special abilities. Not good-natured complaining. Bitter, whiny complaining. I should say that I would go on to have a 0-0-5 record, and most of my team did almost as badly. We had maybe 2 wins total, and 3 draws?

I tried to listen, because hey, going up against 4 Knights or whatever is no fun. I sympathized with him, because I played a pretty terrible army during 7th and continuously losing sucks. But I don't go to OFCC to babysit other players, or calm their hurt feelings. But for the sake of easing tensions I held back on using some stratagems or using my units efficiently because it would've meant him losing a few models.

But the last straw was when I used my Warlord's ability. He threw a temper tantrum. Said he wouldn't have deployed where he had if he knew about it. It was my job to tell him let him know the intricacies of my army. I pretty much gave up at that point. I didn't use the ability, sat down and played out the rest of my turn as quickly as possible.

I knew that if I started winning the game, he would get even saltier. He would have been salty about losing models, or losing an objective, about bad dice rolls, about everything and everyone. To keep the peace, I would've had to swallow my own comments to keep it from becoming an argument. I wasn't going to lecture the dude. I wasn't going to throw my own temper tantrum. The only thing that would have made him happy would be to win. So I let him win. I pretended to be sick, left during my second turn and didn't return. I don't think he completely bought it, because he grilled my Captain about why I left. He said I was going to sweep him, when that clearly wasn't the case.

So in conclusion, being salty sucks the fun out of the tournament for everyone. I would rather have faced off against a chatty player with 4 Knights and all their shenanigans than play against someone who's upset for not winning at a tournament not setup to reward winning. Maybe next year, bring a joke list? Or stay home? Or go to BAO? Smoke a joint? It's legal in Washington. Anything, really.

That's it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 8

One thing about this year that really threw me off was that it seemed as though the match ups weren't based on record but were just 5 games scheduled to fill the brackets. While thats fine for a casual event and i would have had no issue with it I think it led to some bad match ups. I was on a team that brought some stronger lists in keeping with the expectation that we would be facing the stronger lists we were seeing as the bracket progressed. Unfortunately what ended up happening was facing a spread of opponents who were unhappy with the choices we had made for our armies. 

This is from the perspective of someone in this same situation from the other side. I went to the event to see beautiful armies and to have 5 good games. But lots of people felt slighted by the match ups for some reason and i think its important for the event to figure out why. 

• Like 2

@merkthejerk I am so sorry you had such a poor experience during the weekend. Although we cannot guarantee that everyone has a great time, we certainly want to make every effort to make that possible. Please know that if you or anyone is not having the expected OFCC experience, you or your captain can track me (or anyone other organizer down) so we can address it as its happening. 🙂 

@Kolby Hopkins You are correct that match-ups were not performance based. All match-ups were built prior to the event using the following methodology

• First, arrange all challenge matches
  • Then avoid matching up team from the same club/region
  • Finally, ensure no one plays the same team twice

Since OFCC is an event rather than a tournament, we focus on doing our best to provide variety in match ups. I hope that clarifies the process when I run the event. 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Merk: that just plain old sucks, sorry to hear that. I have no idea what team you were on or if you're planning on going next year but I hereby challenge you in 2019. We WILL throw dice, stuff WILL die and we WILL drink too much. Feel that sting on your cheek? That's the slap of my supple deerskin glove because I demand (mutual) satisfaction.

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.