Mixology

Brick Bungalow

So I'm painting some figures after a pretty lengthy hiatus from the hobby and wanted a few pointers from those who have kept up their game. I like the concept and look of the polyshades dip but as an intermediate step. I'm wondering what a good way might be to duplicate this effect but with a water based product that I could mix myself and modify the color. I have a pretty good set of inks. 

I used to use a solution made from floor wax that worked pretty well as well as water based varnish. I don't have extra figures to practice so I'm hoping someone has a good recipe to share. 

Also, I plan to finish the figures with an oil wash. I think I have a pretty good grasp of this technique but I wanted to know if anyone present has tried it. Also, if you have does it work well with dullcote? Normally its applied over a gloss varnish but I'd rather have a matte finish if possible. 

All guidance is appreciated! 

• Thanks 1

I really like the Army Painter Quickshade inks. They're a very similar result to their dip, but water-based, and thinner, so they're not going to clog up detail or anything, and you can work over them just fine.

As I understand it, you do need to use gloss for the oil wash stages, but you can add dullcote or another matte finish over the top after you're done with that part.

• Like 1

Les Bursley's Magic Wash. I swear by it.

Google the first sentence or watch this YouTube link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEkMnP6p08I#

Leaves a glossy finish that's rock hard if allowed to fully cure. Unsure if it will hold up to oil washing cleanup though.

You can always do a final seal of gloss, satin or matte in my experience.

• Like 1

I've done oil washes before and they seem fine over most any sort of varnish. I imagine one would not want to agitate them a lot if using mineral spirit and you certainly cannot put anything water based over them. 

I would definitely recommend experimenting with them especially if you want to get some really brilliant colors or a more convincing texture on skin or fur. 

Thanks for all the tips! I ordered those quickshades and Ill try mixing that wash as well. 

• Like 1