Thoughts on a Space Wolf List and wulfin Lot's of wulfin

Talonwinter

I play Tyranids a lot and I almost never have a save. 

The Idea is to flood the table with storm shields. One or two unit will outflank coming in on a board edge 9 inches way. The Wolf priest give reroll everything to the large wulfen unit and the other follows the two thunder wolf units with the wulfin stone to make sure the get the extra attack. Is it better to do two big wulfin units?

Stratagem wise there is not a lot of them that I need to have. Most are low cost 1 CP. The rest are for re-rolls on a save or a charge. If they're any combos i ma overlooking please tell me.

Here it is Hunting Wolves List

+++ Hunting Wolves +++

++ Total: [102 PL, 1997pts] ++ = 8CP Total

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++

+ HQ +

Wolf Priest: Combi-melta, Jump Packs, Power fist
The Wulfen Stone: Relic of The Fang

Wolf Priest: Combi-melta, Jump Packs, Power fist

+ Troops +

Blood Claws
4x Blood Claw
Blood Claw Pack Leader: Chainsword

Blood Claws
4x Blood Claw

Blood Claws
4x Blood Claw

+ Elites +

Wulfen
9x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 9x Storm Shield, 9x Thunder Hammer
9x Wulfen
Wulfen Pack Leader: Frost claws

Wulfen
4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer
4x Wulfen

Wulfen
4x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 4x Storm Shield, 4x Thunder Hammer
4x Wulfen

+ Fast Attack +

Thunderwolf Cavalry
Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Thunder hammer
Thunderwolf Cavalry: Chainsword, Storm shield
Thunderwolf Cavalry: Frost axe, Storm shield
Thunderwolf Cavalry Pack Leader: Storm shield, Thunder hammer

Thunderwolf Cavalry
Thunderwolf Cavalry: Storm shield, Wolf claw

++ Total: [102 PL, 1997pts] ++

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:06 PM, Brother Glacius said:
3 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

This should do great in a casual environment. And if you love it play it!

Against more tournament oriented lists, the lack of models will probably be apparent. Also 3++ is not that amazing, and will be brought down via tons of shots or attacks.

What is the number of body's do you think A pure space wolf army needs? I was thinking 45 body's was pretty good.

Since i was running 60 to 70 with my Tyranids. 

20 Genestealers with  5++ and FNP are surprisingly hard to kill. Thinking a 3++ and FNP Wulfin will be even harder to kill. Am I missing something??

6 hours ago, Talonwinter said:

What is the number of body's do you think A pure space wolf army needs? I was thinking 45 body's was pretty good.

Since i was running 60 to 70 with my Tyranids. 

20 Genestealers with  5++ and FNP are surprisingly hard to kill. Thinking a 3++ and FNP Wulfin will be even harder to kill. Am I missing something??

If you like the army and plan to play in a casual to semi competitive environment it should do fine! 

I was saying if you planned to go to a tournament thats when things like only having 45 space Marine bodies will start to show. Marines in general are overcosted. Wulfen, while resilient, are not worth the point. Catachan guardsmen can and will eat you in cc and shooting. Even if you kill 20 of them that barely pays for a couple wolfin? And since only two of your models have "fly" they will just screen you out, pour shots into a unit, kill it and move to the next. 

It's late so I can't be 100% but death hex I believe removes invulns from a unit, so chaos can just ignore your storm shield theme all together.

It's a super fun list, I had one very similar. But it won't hold up in a tournament environment. Buy if that's not what your shooting for then have fun! I'm working on an all dred list myself.

But I suppose you asked how can you make this list better?

Well start dropping storm shields. I know you wanted them as part of the theme of the list. But you don't need so many. The big wulfin unit should have 4. The little units, 2. Same with the thunderwolf cav. Give them about 2 each. Your only trying to not die to lascannons and such for the first turn. If they focus fire on any one unit it will die. So save points.

With those saved points add more blood claws. Maybe a axe or powerfist in each squad?

Shave the meltas of the priests. Your a cc army with a ton of strength 8-10 attacks. No need for melta.

Thunder wolf cav should have ss/chainsword on two guys, chainsword on two and a guy with thunderhammer. This way you have a ton of anti infantry attacks with a dash of s10. Also since they will probably die it's not as big of a deal, points wise, when they do.

Send the army in waves. Thunderwolf charge in first or second turn. Followedd by the wulfen. By the time the blood claws get there, they should be able to clean up or push the combat in your favor.

Also I highly suggest finding room for a ruin priest. I believe they have a stratagem or power that gives everything within 6" -1 to hit. With a on foot cc army, this is almost an auto include.

• Like 3

Thanks for the thought on this. A new take with some shooting threat. 

+++ Wolf hunt (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++ 

+ No Force Org Slot + 

Trophies of Fenris (1 Relic) 

+ HQ + 

Rune Priest on Bike: 2. Tempest's Wrath, Bolt pistol, Psychic hood, Runic armour, Runic sword 
Bike: Twin boltgun 

Wolf Priest: Bolt pistol, Jump Packs, Power fist 
The Armour of Russ: Relic of The Fang 

+ Troops + 

Blood Claws 
6x Blood Claw 

Blood Claws 
6x Blood Claw 

Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifles, 4x Intercessor 
Intercessor Pack Leader: Chainsword 

+ Elites + 

Aggressors: 5x Aggressor, Aggressor Pack Leader, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher 

Wulfen 
Great frost axe 
8x Thunder hammer & Stormshield: 8x Storm Shield, 8x Thunder Hammer 
9x Wulfen 

Wulfen 
Great frost axe 
9x Wulfen 

+ Fast Attack + 

Thunderwolf Cavalry 

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++ 

++ Total: [111 PL, 1994pts] ++ 

• Poop 1

4 hours ago, Talonwinter said:

Thanks for the thought on this. A new take with some shooting threat. 

+++ Wolf hunt (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++ 

+ No Force Org Slot + 

Trophies of Fenris (1 Relic) 

+ HQ + 

Rune Priest on Bike: 2. Tempest's Wrath, Bolt pistol, Psychic hood, Runic armour, Runic sword 
Bike: Twin boltgun 

Wolf Priest: Bolt pistol, Jump Packs, Power fist 
The Armour of Russ: Relic of The Fang 

+ Troops + 

Blood Claws 
6x Blood Claw 

Blood Claws 
6x Blood Claw 

Intercessor Squad: Bolt rifles, 4x Intercessor 
Intercessor Pack Leader: Chainsword 

+ Elites + 

Aggressors: 5x Aggressor, Aggressor Pack Leader, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher 

Wulfen 
Great frost axe 
9x Wulfen 

Wulfen 
Great frost axe 
9x Wulfen 

+ Fast Attack + 

Thunderwolf Cavalry 

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Wolves) ++ 

++ Total: [111 PL, 1994pts] ++ 

I understand if you like certain models or already have models with the listed wargear, that you want to play with those models. However since you posted your list I also assume you want some input.

Your other list was probably better. It basically focused on doing one thing well and needed very little tweaking to take it to that next level.

This list takes the previous list and adds unnecessary shooting with overcosted models. Also again, way to many stormshield. The runic priest is great with the -1 power that also gives you the -1 stratagem.

Space wolves (with the exception of long fangs) want to be in combat because of the +1 ws (which also makes powerfist and thunderhammers way more accurate). Without a deepstrike stratagem, aggressors will most likely die in a turn without doing much themselves.

Your original list already had a great built in plan of waves of assault with scary things. It had a bit of fat that needed to be trimmed in order to make it even scarier but it had potential.

If you simply like the models (I also love the idea of th/ss werewolves) I say go for it with either list exactly as is.

12 hours ago, SPaceORK said:

I understand if you like certain models or already have models with the listed wargear, that you want to play with those models. However since you posted your list I also assume you want some input.

Your other list was probably better. It basically focused on doing one thing well and needed very little tweaking to take it to that next level.

This list takes the previous list and adds unnecessary shooting with overcosted models. Also again, way to many stormshield. The runic priest is great with the -1 power that also gives you the -1 stratagem.

Space wolves (with the exception of long fangs) want to be in combat because of the +1 ws (which also makes powerfist and thunderhammers way more accurate). Without a deepstrike stratagem, aggressors will most likely die in a turn without doing much themselves.

Your original list already had a great built in plan of waves of assault with scary things. It had a bit of fat that needed to be trimmed in order to make it even scarier but it had potential.

If you simply like the models (I also love the idea of th/ss werewolves) I say go for it with either list exactly as is.

I disagree about the aggressors.

The list looks like it advances turn 1, with a turn 2 outflank from the aggressors as the wolf assault elements come into range.

The enemy deals with one or the other and  takes the counter punch.  If the aggressors live to turn 3 they are either dumping buckets of dice on everything around them, or moving up and fisticuffing with their bro’s.

Looks fun 🙂